98 Wood Trim Wheel On A 91 Ls?

dcfish

Is it possible to fit a 98 LS wood trim steering wheel on to a 91 LS ?

What are the modifications that have to be done?

What are the options to installing wood trim on the existing wheel on a 91 LS?

Thanx in advance,:cheers:

DC, call Johnson Lexus of Raleigh at 919-877-1800 "or check lexus.com for dealership location / number under the 27609 zip code". I remember they had this option for sale in the parts department about a year ago. Talk to the parts dept. and ask them about it as I'm sure they still have the information. They had the wood wheel and shift knob in a display case titled "upgrade your older LS400 with the wood steering wheel and shifter".

DC, call Johnson Lexus of Raleigh at 919-877-1800 "or check lexus.com for dealership location / number under the 27609 zip code". I remember they had this option for sale in the parts department about a year ago. Talk to the parts dept. and ask them about it as I'm sure they still have the information. They had the wood wheel and shift knob in a display case titled "upgrade your older LS400 with the wood steering wheel and shifter".

Mucho Gracias Amigo, First one is on me :cheers:

Absolultely its possible. Get a wheel from a junkyard: $50 or so, off another Gen I.

Send it to American Stitches. For $400, You can have a wood steering wheel that matches your interior perfectly.

or, use the old wheel as a temp replacement, and pull your current one off and send it in if it doesnt match.

because IIRC, the Lexus OEM wheel is like $800.

You could also retrofit a later model wheel, BUT, your features like auto tilt and other things wont work. plus i believe the cruise is on the wheel on 98+ models.

Any time gun-slinger :cheers: . I forgot to mention the price though....I think it was something like $1,700. I remember chukling to myself about the price. But they can point you in the right direction for sure. ;)

Any time gun-slinger  :cheers: . I forgot to mention the price though....I think it was something like $1,700. I remember chukling to myself about the price. But they can point you in the right direction for sure.  ;)

I am researching this for a friend, So I don't care about price, Although he might :lol: Army, I'll check into that option also, Thanx :cheers:

Any time gun-slinger :cheers: . I forgot to mention the price though....I think it was something like $1,700. I remember chukling to myself about the price. But they can point you in the right direction for sure.  ;)

I am researching this for a friend, So I don't care about price, Although he might :lol: Army, I'll check into that option also, Thanx :cheers:

Sure thing man. PM blake918 about American Stitches. He was thouroughly impressed with their product IIRC. Im sure he can point you or your friend to them.

Yeah, Steve is right! I would be a very bad reference for AS. I started a thread in the ES forum about it.

How's this for a color match: :chairshot: :chairshot:

steering_wheel.sized.jpg

This is actually embaressing on my part since I should have mailed it back to them the second I opened the box. :blink:

Here's the thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=16648&hl=

The wheel is not a direct replacement .

You would need an airbag which would not wire to the newer gen 2 SRS systems.

You can get an oem wood wheel and transplant the wood onto the existing leather wheel.$200 plus lots of labour to colour match the wood grain and sand.

You can send it to American stitches. $400-500

Buy an aftermarket Nardi or MOMO wood wheel if it has no airbag. $500

Get a clip on cover that seem to match pretty good $50

The oem wheels are in the 1700 - 2500 range.

The tilt and retract would still work fine as it has nothing to do with those systems.

Yeah, Steve is right! I would be a very bad reference for AS. I started a thread in the ES forum about it.

How's this for a color match::chairshot:  :chairshot:

steering_wheel.sized.jpg

This is actually embaressing on my part since I should have mailed it back to them the second I opened the box.  :blink:

Here's the thread:

I guess i dont recall corectly!

Who was it that was impressed?

Didnt you have leather work done somewhere you were impressed with blake?

How's this for a color match::chairshot: :chairshot:

steering_wheel.sized.jpg

This is actually embaressing on my part since I should have mailed it back to them the second I opened the box.   :blink:

Here's the thread:

I guess i dont recall corectly!

Who was it that was impressed?

Didnt you have leather work done somewhere you were impressed with blake?

I appreciate all the informative replies, At this point the info has been passed on and the decision to to take on the projects + and -'s are being weighed. Thanx for eveything, I beleive my Q's have been answered. Thanks Again for all the help :cheers: