Dual Electric Fans?

Is anyone running the Powerhouse dual electric fan set up an there SC300???

I’ve always thought getting rid of the belt driven fan was a great way to free up power.

What do you guys think, maybe a 10-15hp gain by installing these dual fans?

Thanks,

HP :cheers:

People say there could be electrical problems leading to overheat. But the thing is that you are supposed to get extra horsepower at the high rpms because the fan belt is going so fast at 6000 rpm. I read something that said the mechanical fan has this rpm limit. If the pulley is going any faster than a certain rpm, it won't go any faster. It's kind of like pedaling a bicycle and letting go of the pedals and the wheels turn but the pedals aren't.

I'm guessing on the old cars there wasn't that type of fan so at high rpms the fan would go at high rpms too.

You probably will get some extra horsepower but I'm not sure if 10-15 will be it. If you think of the hybrid engines it is a gas motor that powers a capacitator that runs an electric motor. It's very efficient. That means if you take the sc300 gas motor to run the alternator a bit more and then run the electric fan, it'll be more efficient than the mechanical fan. So yes you will get more hp but not sure how much.

I’m not sure about the HP gains myself, however I do believe it will reduce engine strain and improve gas mileage. I don’t see why it would cause any type of electrical problem if you run a relay. Most of today’s newer vehicles have switched to electric fans to save fuel, space and to maximize horsepower. I think I’ll buy a set and try them out.

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure all will be well.

You might be replacing your alternator a little earlier because of this but you gotta lose some to gain some.

OR (my favorite) get a nice BIG alternator that could power four fans, some subs, and a 60" TV if need be. :D

I had the fans on the '93. Dual flex-a-lite 210 pullers. I was not impressed with them. They do clear up space under the hood, look good, and work if installed correctly. But the car did overheat a couple of times in traffic on a real hot day. Some have never had problems. Others have had a lot of problems.

The fans will not give more horsepower. They just free up some wasted energy. Honestly, I don't think there will be a difference. Prove me wrong with a dyno chart.

Good to know, maybe I wont waste the money on fans after all.

They made a noticeable difference on my RX-7 and BMW 535is. Perhaps a set of headers would prove more beneficial. I’ll have to do a bit more research before blowing any cash. I know the car wasn’t really built for speed, but it’s so heavy and lazy that I need to do something to make it peppier. A 2jz gte is what we all dream of, but I drive my car every day and can’t afford to have it down for a month. The F-max kits sound great, but the 5k + installation doesn’t. Does any one have experience with the

Xerd headers?

I don't think I've ever seen this one :snoooorrrtttt: , Nice!

The only thing a fan is designed to do is cool your intercooler or radiator. Since you don't have any turbos I'm guessing your dual fans were put on to cool your radiator. I really think you should see what's causing your engine to heat up so much.

The SC was designed for speed. the Soarer in Japan is it's other name. That is a performance car, and PlanetSoarer.com would be site to check out, if you're not aware of the car.

I wouldn't do the headers yet, though. If you do the headers you have to do the exhaust, and the stock SC exhaust is big enough to endure some minor performance upgrades.

Since your working on a small budget, start slow. AWj will give you some more ideas, and some good addresses.

I'll tell you what Spruce, you need to evaluate the goals you want to achieve and how far you are willing to go. With your vehicle, you are not going to get much from headers/intake/exhaust changes. Same goes for most cars. The more displacement a motor has, the better they take to these things. Sometimes, this combination can yeild decent gains with good products that compliment each other and good installs and tuning. But you will find that stuff is still going to be expensive. When I calculate the money I spent going I/H/E on some of the other vehicles I've had - I find I would have been at the total cost of a turbo for that given vehicle after all things parts and labor are taken into account.

Are serious about power? Then save your money for the turbo. Do you just want looks and a little kick? Go for headers and intakes and nice clean engine with hoses and wires and all that jazz. Either way I'd highly recommend a torque converter for the first modificiation if the car is automatic. You will feel this and it will be the most benefit as far as freeing up the loss through the tranny. That is the most weak point of our system. The other systems are well designed. The exhaust after the manifold is another area to look at. Removing the cats or midmufflers will help as well as going with a cat-back or complete custom set-up. There are several ways to skin a cat. Some are better than others and will give better results. But if power is what is truely wanted - get ready to pay $$. Otherwise, don't waste your money. Trust me. OR learn for yourself. There is nothing wrong with that either.

About XERD, there was a horrible experience with the Supra guys and some Lexus owners in the past with this company. I'd recommend avoiding them and any associated company at all costs. Unless they can guarantee in writing money back or problem resolution in a legally enforceable manner. I don't know anything about the product itself other than the SS headers did look nice.

I am familiar with the Soarer 2.5l twin turbo, however I was referring to the US spec SC300. It’s not really a money problem, but I would rather go with a 2JZ GTE over an Fmax kit for a little more money.

I’ve decided not to buy headers. I have two options right now.

OPTION #1, QUESTION

I’m looking at purchasing a F-max kit for my SC 5speed as a starting point, however have come to understand that the 92-air flow meter & computer do not like boost. Can I run a new style AFM or MAF on a 92? Would I need to upgrade my computer to do so?

OPTION #2, QUESTION

I also have a friend who has a complete Automatic Aristro TT front cap who has decided to not go forward with his project GS300. He has offered me the front cap including front larger brakes + 4piston calipers for $3500.00 Clearly this would be the way to go over the Fmax, however I would like to keep my 5speed trans and am not sure If the Computer for the auto & 6speed are the same. Can I run the auto computer setup with my 5speed?

Decisions, decisions……..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

#1. The turbonetics/f-max set-up should have some sort of method of dealing with the maf situation. Contact them directly. I used to have the number and can probably get it for you if you need it. It is necessary to modify the maf signal for boost. This is commonly done with the 1uz-fe maf as on my car. Another option is to convert to a speed density type system with a map sensor via hks vpc or similar system. Contact a good tuner for recommendations. Otherwise, the system should work well.

#2. The Aristo piece is immediately a good buy. You are correct about the computer situation. You will need the aristo computer to control the coil packs and various other items. But to retain the 5 speed would cause major problems. To keep cost down - use the automatic. Otherwise, you will have to go stand alone. This will require an expensive (somewhat) 32 bit or similar box like the aem and such. Then you have the sensors, installation and wiring. If you go this method, you may as well go ahead and get the big turbo and make your upgrades because it will all have to be redone any time you change anything. I mean fuel system and everything. Tack on another 5g's plus any labor that is sourced. Parts can be found used at good prices. It will cost significantly more if you go with new stuff.

So there you have it. Don't forget - lower bay clearance with jdm motor and emissions issues (for your california issue).

Edit: oh - you're in Florida... nevermind then ;)

It’s the complete front clip, It starts right up! The Aristro computer is there, my concern is weather the Aristro computer will work properly with my 5 speed trans. I know you cannot interchange computer in the RX-7 TT from auto to 5speed, I heard the same about the Supra. I see you know Lance from Toyomoto, he’s a hard man to reach. I remember him from back in the day when I was running rotaries and he had a black GS300 then the SC300. The good old days at Moroso before everyone caught on.

Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HP

I don't believe it will from what I understand. You will need to have it modified - maybe a couple of jumpers at the least and whole boards or resolder ic's at the worst - or you can use a standalone.

And don't forget about lower X members and clearance.

Stand alones are great I had a Haltech F9 on my RX-7, however tuning it is extremely time consuming. I may just opt for the factory setup and run piggyback AFC or Rebic IV with a few additional injectors down the road. Right now I’m just trying to figure out if I should snatch the Aristro clip, or wait to come across a 6 speed front clip. I have a friend who sells Jap spec. clips in Hallandale, but he’s a bit pricey, about $6000.00 for a 6 speed front clip. One thing I can tell you is that I’m not in a big rush to start this project. I have blinking dash needles, fading brakes and a pathetic $99.00 rebuilt slipping clutch that the previous owner bought on ebay to addressed right away. Did I mention that I’m searching for a set of Supra wheels so that I can slap on the larger brakes. As you can see I have a crap load of things going on simultaneously and wont be gutting the car any time soon. For now I’m just taking in as much 411 about what it will take to perform the swap successfully as I can get.

Thanks for all the help..

If I were to go with the Aristro clip, I would just drop x member with engine, suspension and all, Then bolt up the whole Aristro x member to avoid having to mess with the oil pan. I know that there is a return line that taps into the 2JZ GTE pan.

HP

You’ve got that right! I’ve owned a 93 ES300, 94 LS400 & 94 GS300 and none had bad brakes like my SC. I even slapped on a brand new master cylinder last week to see if it would cure the condition, but it didn’t. It’s a bit better, but still fades..

Have you done any engine work yet or are you still getting the parts together?

HP

The current vehicle has a toyomoto set-up on it consisting of a t3/t4 hybrid internally gated and all the necessary equipment producing 350hp and 368ft.lbs. on a "conservative" boost setting. Click on my link below for more info and I posted an engine pick in the antifreexe thread even though the car with the question is a 400 (don't ask). The install is real sleeper style. Most people don't even know what they are looking at when they see it. B)

With the boost set at 10 or so psi., I lose stopping power. With the boost above 15 psi., I lose safety period. I just started tearing into the car last night for some electrical items install and I'm doing the brakes once my stainless steel lines arrive - probably next week. I will have pictures and document all the work. Wait till you guys see the torn up interior. It is scary. :huh:

I have two sets of those wheels. One set may be coming up for sale soon. But they have curb rash and random marks on them. I was going to have them recoated. Keep an eye in the for sale section. Maybe as soon as next week, I will have a set ready - but don't hold your breath.

The link on my signature down below where it says vote for me will take you to my page.