1998 Ls400 Starter

oohryry

Anyone know where I can purchase a starter under the price given to me of 277.00. The labor to replace it was 441.00 at a local NTB shop that checked my battery to see if that was the problem for it having trouble starting. I'll call the dealer today, but I'm sure they will want more than 441.00 for labor. Lexus Satisfaction told me the recall work was performed in July 1998 for my starter for the campaign they did on the 1995 through 1997 vehicles. I guess it was done because the 1998 was built in the end of 1997. I'm starting to think that it's a defect with their starter on the LS because I've never had a problem with a starter on any of my previous vehicles. Then again, my previous vehicles had problems with everything else. Except for my Camry which only ever needed a new coil through it's lifespan before my honey totaled it.

Anyone know where I can purchase a starter under the price given to me of 277.00.  The labor to replace it was 441.00 at a local NTB shop that checked my battery to see if that was the problem for it having trouble starting.  I'll call the dealer today, but I'm sure they will want more than 441.00 for labor.  Lexus Satisfaction told me the recall work was performed in July 1998 for my starter for the campaign they did on the 1995 through 1997 vehicles.  I guess it was done because the 1998 was built in the end of 1997.  I'm starting to think that it's a defect with their starter on the LS because I've never had a problem with a starter on any of my previous vehicles.  Then again, my previous vehicles had problems with everything else.  Except for my Camry which only ever needed a new coil through it's lifespan before my honey totaled it.

Ok, no responses. How bout' has anyone ever had to change their starter? I heard it was a serious task considering the position it's located in.

I just got a starter for my car. i ordered it from these guys. Everyone here was unanimous that I should go with Denso and not the cheaper Bosch. Once the LS gets out of the shop were gonna try and put it on. 441 aint bad for the starter. The way I calculate mine it will be around 500 from my dealer. Here is a link to the site.

My Webpage

the previous owner did my starter in April. Part was $255 and labor was also $255. All was done at an independent and the paper work does not indicate what the starter brand was. Good luck.

Anyone know where I can purchase a starter under the price given to me of 277.00.  The labor to replace it was 441.00 at a local NTB shop that checked my battery to see if that was the problem for it having trouble starting.  I'll call the dealer today, but I'm sure they will want more than 441.00 for labor.  Lexus Satisfaction told me the recall work was performed in July 1998 for my starter for the campaign they did on the 1995 through 1997 vehicles.  I guess it was done because the 1998 was built in the end of 1997.  I'm starting to think that it's a defect with their starter on the LS because I've never had a problem with a starter on any of my previous vehicles.  Then again, my previous vehicles had problems with everything else.  Except for my Camry which only ever needed a new coil through it's lifespan before my honey totaled it.

Ok, no responses. How bout' has anyone ever had to change their starter? I heard it was a serious task considering the position it's located in.

I had my starter replaced last year @ Toyota. It cost about 900$ (most of which was labor)- yuck. The starter sits in the middle part of the engine and the top of the engine has to be removed to get at it. The starter is located here because of balance. I would replace with a new (not rebuilt) OEM starter and have Toyota or Dealer do the work. I would rather a mechanic who's done several LS starter replacements do this work; and putting in a new OEM unit will ensure that you won't have to pay to do it again anytime soon. This is not something you want to save a few bucks on. 2cents

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I found a place that said they would do it for 400.00 starter and labor. One Stop Auto. I know that's half of the price of everyone else but I'm going to take my chances. I had them put a radiator on my Camry years ago and it worked fine. I know this isn't a Camry, but for this price I'll take the chance. I'm going to drop it off at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning because they don't take appointments, first come first served and they are always busy. Oh well, on to my next question in a few.

Thanks everyone.  I found a place that said they would do it for 400.00 starter and labor.  One Stop Auto.  I know that's half of the price of everyone else but I'm going to take my chances.  I had them put a radiator on my Camry years ago and it worked fine.  I know this isn't a Camry, but for this price I'll take the chance.  I'm going to drop it off at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning because they don't take appointments, first come first served and they are always busy.  Oh well, on to my next question in a few.

Oh well, have to rent a car. They thought I meant alternator. The cost to replace it is now 600.00 and it wont be finished until tomorrow.

Ok, now what? Price keeps going up. At $699.00 now. What is the Cooling Tempertature Sensor? Can this keep my vehicle from starting? One Stop Auto said they have the starter in and now I need a CTS. Wasn't it working before I took my car in to have the starter replaced. I know they have to take off the manifold to get to the starter. Is it posible to damage this CTS or do they go bad. Have to keep this rent a car another day now. It's a Nissan Altima, I liked them until I finally drove one now. You feel every little bump in the road and the engine noise is horrible. I don't mind the noise of a growling engine but this aint that.