Dealership 30,000 Mile Service Or Oil Change

luxury1

It is time for the 30k service and I looked at the book and saw $700. Should I do this or just have a regular oil change. It seems that the 30k service is very similar to the oil change service anyway except that they change the brake fluid. Is this critical?

It is time for the 30k service and I looked at the book and saw $700.  Should I do this or just have a regular oil change.  It seems that the 30k service is very similar to the oil change service anyway except that they change the brake fluid.  Is this critical?

The brake fluid should be changed. But you could get the Toyota fluid and have an independent do it much cheaper.

Take a look at what they do between the 15 and 30k service. I was thinking that I would just get the 15k service for much less. Is this crazy?

15,000:

Replace engine oil and oil filter, Rotate tires, Road test vehicle, Replace engine air filter, Replace air conditioner filter.

Inspect the following:

Exhaust pipes and mountings, Brakes: linings, discs/drums, lines, hoses, Steering linkages, Rack and pinion assy. For leakage, Ball joints and dust covers, Drive shaft boots (re-torque flange bolts), Transmission and differential oil, Body/chassis nuts and bolts, Lubricate propeller shaft

30,000:

Replace engine oil and oil filter, Replace engine air filter, Replace engine coolant, Replace Brake fluid, Replace air conditioner filter, Re-torque flange bolts, Fuel tank cap gasket, Rotate tires, Road test vehiclem Courtesy car wash and interior vacuum.

Inspect the Following:

Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank, vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank band, Fuel tank cap gasket, Exhaust pipes and mountings, Brakes: linings, discs/drums,lines, hoses, Steering linkages, Rack and pinion assy. For leakage, Ball joints and dust covers, Transmission, transfer case, and differential oil, Inspect body/chassis nuts and bolts, Active height control system

It's your call but Replace engine coolant, Replace Brake fluid, are very important.

The A/C and air filters you can do yourself, get the Toyota/Lexus parts online.

I went over all this with my trusted independent guy and he explained why. He did those two items plus inspection for less than $100. I get my oil changes at an indpendent oil change place using Toyota filters for about $30 a change.

Thanks for the assistance. I think I am going to take the same approach that you did. Do you have a site that you typically use for the Lexus parts? Also, is the private garage you use a jiffy lube, penzoil or sears type of place? Finally, are there directions anywhere on how to replace the A/C and air filters?

Thanks!

I would always do the reccomended maintenance exactly as its laid out by the carmaker whether you do it from Lexus or not. Reason being it makes your position that much stronger if you should ever have to worry about getting an out of warranty repair covered.

That plus, it is a $45,000 car. If you don't want to pay Lexus for the service fine, but at least have it done somewhere.

The factory fill antifreeze on the RX330 is Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze and it's good for 5 years / 100,000 miles. So your cooling system will not need any attention for some time to come.

I think the main thing you should consider having done now at 30,000 miles is a transmission oil pan drain and refill with genuine Toyota Type T-IV fluid (about 3 quarts worth). To save money you could have this done at a Toyota dealer since the drivetrain of an RX330 is identical to a Toyota Highlander.

VERY INTERESTING FACTS GUYS! so its best to use lexus air filters and oil filters not k&n or other quality brands? Could you give a site or two that you freequent to order your parts from please?The more info the better guys thanks. I just purchased an es 300 with 90,000 miles and am trying to figure out what I need to tackle first. The guy I bought it from said he had all fluids changed but without paper work I am not sure what exactly "all" means. He also put front brakes on which is good,but what type of fluids did he use and which exactly got changed i'm not sure. I do need to know what fluids and filters to buy though so you guys have been great help. I did change to mobil 1 ,replaced timing belt and all other belts.

VERY INTERESTING FACTS GUYS! so its best to use lexus air filters and oil filters not k&n or other quality brands? Could you give a site or two that you freequent to order your parts from please?The more info the better guys thanks. I just purchased an es 300 with 90,000 miles and am trying to figure out what I need to tackle first. The guy I bought it from said he had all fluids changed but without paper work I am not sure what exactly "all" means. He also put front brakes on which is good,but what type of fluids did he use and which exactly got changed i'm not sure. I do need to know what fluids and filters to buy though so you guys have been great help. I did change to mobil 1 ,replaced timing belt and all other belts.

Just changed my oil & filter at 38K. Have used AMSOIL since the 2nd oil change. Also use a AMSOIL oil filter. As for brake fluid & ATF they are made to go more miles then just a few years ago. I guess it all depends on your driving habits & where u drive it.

It is time for the 30k service and I looked at the book and saw $700.  Should I do this or just have a regular oil change.  It seems that the 30k service is very similar to the oil change service anyway except that they change the brake fluid.  Is this critical?

Have the change done with the proper fluids Toyota,Lexus brands with somebody else that is a certified mechanic, so you do not void your warranty, taking it to a Toyota dealer seems the best of both worlds since is from the same matrix. Just to say even as other people have suggested not to change the brake fluid, I would do so, since it is recommended and it will save you money in the long run, I believe they mandate to do it, because when the systems are new they may have things like metal chips or other stuff coming off due to the heat or factory conditions, humidity from sitting in the ship/dealer. When you change the fluid all the bad stuff is gone and since you are using the car you would have less problems in the future with lets say the ABS system, which can get pretty expensive. Also your warranty can be voided for not doing the recommended maintenance. Once your warranty is gone and lets say you do not want to keep the car you can let more things slide like changing the brake fluid which is made to last quite some time.

C. PR

Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and will contaminate the system. Water also lowers the boiling point of the fluid and will lead to brake fade in heavy braking , like on mountain roads or road racing.

Jeff

Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and will contaminate the system. Water also lowers the boiling point of the fluid and will lead to brake fade in heavy braking , like on mountain roads or road racing.

Jeff

And of course we all take our RX's road racing. The brake fluid on our Mustang COBRA gets changed before every road event we go to though, so if u go road raciong with your RX I guess u should change brake fluid too.

Maybe the Pace in Wisconsin is a little slower than the rest of the country, or it could be that you don't get out much, or drive in the mountains. I'm sure you have moisture though. Seems like every ones in a hurry here in California, and yes some people hot rod (as much as you can an RX) in a Lexus. Ever read any of the posts about getting more power out of an RX? You don't need a COBRA to have brake fade however I can see that happining in a COBRA.

Sorry to get off topic luxury1.

Jeff

Take a look at what they do between the 15 and 30k service.  I was thinking that I would just get the 15k service for much less.  Is this crazy?

15,000:

Replace engine oil and oil filter, Rotate tires, Road test vehicle, Replace engine air filter, Replace air conditioner filter.

Inspect the following:

Exhaust pipes and mountings, Brakes: linings, discs/drums, lines, hoses, Steering linkages, Rack and pinion assy. For leakage, Ball joints and dust covers, Drive shaft boots (re-torque flange bolts), Transmission and differential oil, Body/chassis nuts and bolts, Lubricate propeller shaft

30,000:

Replace engine oil and oil filter, Replace engine air filter, Replace engine coolant, Replace Brake fluid, Replace air conditioner filter, Re-torque flange bolts, Fuel tank cap gasket, Rotate tires, Road test vehiclem Courtesy car wash and interior vacuum.

Inspect the Following:

Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank, vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank band, Fuel tank cap gasket, Exhaust pipes and mountings, Brakes: linings, discs/drums,lines, hoses, Steering linkages, Rack and pinion assy. For leakage, Ball joints and dust covers, Transmission, transfer case, and differential oil, Inspect body/chassis nuts and bolts, Active height control system

I just had all you mentioned done for my 60,000 mile (100,000 km) service at Lexus of Richmond Hill (no air conditioner filter or tranny flush right now though as it was not needed)......just north of Toronto......also had the rear sway bushings replaced under my extended warranty (a fairly inexpensive job for parts, but the labour add's up at $110 an hour so that was already paid for). It included an oil & filter change (but I brought my own oil, filter & plug gasket so they knocked $30 off the tab) & a full engine coolant flush & new wiper blades (not inserts) & exterior car wash & interior vacuum......all for $275 Canadian funds (plus tax). :blink: The price of $700 you were quoted, seems astronomical to me! :huh: If that's the case, you might want to ask them why they don't just wear mask's & carry shotguns! :blink::wacko:

:cheers:

Maybe the Pace in Wisconsin is a little slower than the rest of the country, or it could be that you don't get out much, or drive in the mountains. I'm sure you have moisture though. Seems like every ones in a hurry here in California, and yes some people hot rod (as much as you can an RX) in a Lexus. Ever read any of the posts about getting more power out of an RX? You don't need a COBRA to have brake fade however I can see that happining in a COBRA.

Jeff

U are right, the pace is a lot slower here in Wisconsin & no mountains either.

No i have never read about someone wanting to get more Power out of their RX but I'm sure they do, but on a road course??

I will tell u our Lexus sure went though the 3+ inches of snow we had yesterday.

Chief, not a road race course just running it through the twisties in the mountain areas. What kind of tires are you using and how did the RX handle the snow? There has been lots of talk here about snow and tires.

Jeff

Chief, not a road race course just running it through the twisties in the mountain areas. What kind of tires are you using and how did the RX handle the snow? There has been lots of talk here about snow and tires.

Jeff

It really was great in the snow. We have the all wheel drive so it better be good in that little snowfall. I don't really know what tires are on it, the ones that came with it. Car isn't here right now so I will look when wife gets home.

Otherwise the roads here are straight & wide, for the most part anyways.

Jeff

U are right, the pace is a lot slower here in Wisconsin & no mountains either.

No i have never read about someone wanting to get more Power out of their RX but I'm sure they do, but on a road course??

I will tell u our Lexus sure went though the 3+ inches of snow we had yesterday.

YA HEY DER,, slow aint a bad thing lol