Hydroplaning Effect

Need some advice...When driving around 60mph, in wet weather, my 95 SC400 loses tire traction. Currently driving with (OME) Goodyear GT4. Is there a tire that dispenses the water more effectively? Or will I need to add more weight to the rear and change the cars suspension to be satisfied, or just Slow Down when driving in the rain. Thanks!

If you go to www.goodyeartires.com and look for tires on your car, The gt4 has 4 stars on wet weather, max of 5. That means there's better tires out there, but that still shouldn't mean the gt4 should lose traction at 60mph. Maybe if you were to accelerate during a turn or the tires are low on tread or alignment is off or tire inflation. I doubt it is weight distribution because even if the rear end is lighter than the front, the frictional force is pretty much some coefficient x the weight on the tire.

Depending on your driving habits, the car as most rear wheel drive, heavy vehicles; will get squirelly no matter what. Mine goes crazy on a damp road - even a dry road if the throttle is genorously given (especially when turning ;) ). Anyways, yea - tires tread will definitely affect this condition for the worse. But generally, excercising more care during wet conditions will be the best countermeasure.

Hi all,

On the subject of hydroplaning, all I can say is be VERY careful in the SC.

I have a 98 SC300 (my third since 1994), and my previous 96 SC300 was totalled in a hydroplaning accident at around 50-60 mph in heavy rain. I changed lanes and lost complete control of the car and fortunately hit only trees and no other traffic. The quality of the car probably saved my life!

Don't get me wrong - the SC is the best car I've ever driven, which is why I replaced it with an exact replica! BUT, it does need to be treated with respect in rain....and even more respect in snow. I guess it's common in all rear-wheel drive cars.

I was using Aquatread at the time, and although they seem to be highly rated, they still seemed to slip as much as the GT's.

ive spun out twice in my 92 sc300, once in the snow and once i damn heavy rain, both times came out with no damage to the car thank god....im now debating getting a winter car or a whole new car completely, something with AWD....im hoping to get it before the winter comes