Check Engine Light On

RX300MS

Thanks JPI,

You're awfully knowledgable on these vehicles. I'm going to attempt to try the tailpipe trick here this weekend. If I found the leak and it's not substantial, a friend told me to use "JB Weld" and that should seal it up versus and actual "hot" weld since that may cause the crack to grow.

Your opinions?...Thanks again!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

i have an almost new rx300 with 5,000 miles on it.

it overheated and the engine self-destructed without any dashboard warning lights

Lexus refuses to replace the engine, since there was a small bump in traffic tfrom a much higher SUV hat dented the bumper et al.

any one have any problems with overheating and/or engine trouble sensors not working???

or ideas for help with Lexus on the $10,000 engine replacement bill?

hmpasco

hilton head sc

• 6 months later...
All you need is a 22mm wrench to replace this a/f sensor. These are the A/F(air fuel sensor). Firewall the bulkhead between the engine and the passenger compartment. The TRAC light is part of your check engine light.

These are the codes

Bank 1 sensor 1: P1130, P1133

Bank 2 sensor 1: P1150, P1153

Good luck and let me know.

JPI

Hey JPI-

If you are still on this board, can you give me more information on the A/F sensor for code reading 1130?

I have a 2000 RX300 and this code is the reason my check engine light is on. Is this something easy to replace/fix? I am relatively handy with vehicles but I have never worked on a vehicle with so many gizmo's(my last vehicle was a 1990 Ford Ranger XLT- easy to work on)

If you could offer suggestions or comments to replace this sensor and cost estimates, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

All you need is a 22mm wrench to replace this a/f sensor.  These are the A/F(air fuel sensor).  Firewall the bulkhead between the engine and the passenger compartment.  The TRAC light is part of your check engine light. 

These are the codes

Bank 1 sensor 1:  P1130, P1133

Bank 2 sensor 1:  P1150, P1153

Good luck and let me know.

JPI

Hey JPI-

If you are still on this board, can you give me more information on the A/F sensor for code reading 1130?

I have a 2000 RX300 and this code is the reason my check engine light is on. Is this something easy to replace/fix? I am relatively handy with vehicles but I have never worked on a vehicle with so many gizmo's(my last vehicle was a 1990 Ford Ranger XLT- easy to work on)

If you could offer suggestions or comments to replace this sensor and cost estimates, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

Please check your bank1 sensor 1 .

JPI

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1999 RX300 where the light just recently came on. I'm getting a P0171 code. The car has just under 80k on it, so I'm thinking the O2 sensors are crapping out. That code is bank one. That's the BACK bank, correct? Is it a safe bet to just swap out the O2 sensors,considering the mileage? ANY info would be hepful. Thanks!!!

I just purchased a 1999 RX 300. Three days into ownership the check engine light comes on. The truck registers 49k miles. I have read many of the posts here, and most seem to address the O2 sensor. The truck did not come with an owner's manual (I'm in process of looking for one on e-bay), so I'm unsure what the issue of "codes" means. Should the truck self-diagnose?

Also, when I bought the RX, there was a musty, wet smell inside. The owner tried to tell me that it was because he had shampooed the carpets, but I quickly discovered that was not all together true. The smell diminishes greatly when the A/C is not on. So now I'm thinking I have A/C problems. I called Lexus, and they want $90 to check out the truck.

Any suggestions?

douglasmiami

Thanks for the info. I did some looking around and found that there could be several problems regarding the mold, but I don't think the fix will be as easy as a deodorizer.

Regarding the check engine light, I still have 12 miles left on Drivetrain / Powertrain warranty, if it is the O2 sensors like many of the posts indicate, will this be covered under warranty?

I still have 12 miles left on Drivetrain / Powertrain warranty, if it is the O2 sensors like many of the posts indicate, will this be covered under warranty?

Lexus diller told me that sensors are not covered under powertrain warranty.

Hi all,

I'm just writing to let everyone know the P0171 code problem I had is now fixed. I PM'd JPI and based on the little amount of information I was able to provide him, he quickly diagnosed my problem. My assumption that the O2 sensors were bad was totally wrong. After having me check for intake/exhaust leaks, JPI stated the MAF sensor was bad and that the older RX's had issues with them. Well, he was correct and I now have put several hundred miles on the car since fixing the MAF and the light remains off and the hesitation it had is now gone.

If anyone has any questions, trust his input! Thanx JPI!!! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

JPI or SKPerformance,

I just took my RX 300 to Lexus dealership for engine light problem. As predicted here in this forum, it is the O2 sensors. I need two replaced. Unfortunately, these are not covered under warranty any longer. Lexus wants $315 ea and $180 in labor. I called Autozone and they told me each sensor was $400. I had read that they were available for slightly over $100 at Autozone.

Any suggestions? Should these be Lexus parts specifically, or can I find them elsewhere. Help!

Autozone offers several different O2 sensors. They do offer the Bosch sensors, which are OE replacements....For around four bills a piece. They also carry Beck/Arnley sensors. These are right around $100 a piece. These are universal sensors that don't plug right in. You'd need to hack the connector off the OLD O2 sensor and wire it to the butt connectors on the new ones. The RX sensors have 4 wires each, and the Beck/Arnley puppies don't have wiring diagrams included. Be forewarned be4 you buy 'em if you DO wanna go that route. The wire colors do NOT match up.

contact member JPI and see what he might be able to do for you on pricing.

also, try www.lexus-parts.com

O2 sensors are easy to put in but you need two things:

1. you need to know which ones are bad and where they are located.

2. using a O2 socket is extremely helpful and recommeded. Usually they are less than $20 but worth it.

steviej

I've noticed that many people have obtained their engine "Codes". What is the best and cheapest way to go this? I called Pep Boys and they want $80 to diagnose. Is this typical? Any other means of getting these? Lexus has diagnosed for my broken O2 sensors, but didn't give me the codes, although I haven't asked for them, yet.

Any suggestions?

Autozone offers several different O2 sensors. They do offer the Bosch sensors, which are OE replacements....For around four bills a piece. They also carry Beck/Arnley sensors. These are right around $100 a piece. These are universal sensors that don't plug right in. You'd need to hack the connector off the OLD O2 sensor and wire it to the butt connectors on the new ones. The RX sensors have 4 wires each, and the Beck/Arnley puppies don't have wiring diagrams included. Be forewarned be4 you buy 'em if you DO wanna go that route. The wire colors do NOT match up.

i've found some parts places that carry O2 sensors by denso and they say it's OEM...the denso ones are cheaper by far compared to the bosch...have ya'll heard anything about these denso ones?

I just purchased a Denso O2 sensor for my 2000 RX300. I bought it brand new on ebay for $75!! Couldn't beat the deal. The other places I found the same sensor all had it around $250.

The sensor is OEM part. The colors were the same as the one replaced. Installation was pretty easy...other than the lack of space for guys with big hands like myself.

Check out ebay for a good deal. Unfortunatly, the gentleman I bought mine from isn't offering anymore right now. I believe it was Denso 234-9009.

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the P0171 code on a 2000 Lexus RX300 with 71K. Have been taking it to a local Toyota aftermarket repair center. They cannot determine what it exactly is so have not replaced it. They have reset it a couple of times and have about 2500 miles additional on the car since the first Check Engine light. Just got it checked again since the light came on after being off for a couple of months. The dilemma here is that now we are on a drive to Alaska and can't have it fixed until we get there. The shop said not to worry it will be fine but in the first half of the trip we have been getting BETTER gas mileage (I know I shouldn't complain) but my concern is the overall health of the engine. Trying to get an opinion on if we will hurt the engine overall. We have about 1500 more miles to go.

You should be getting bettter milage as you are not doing stoppig and starting but highway straight. I can get almost 1000km to my tank when i drive all highway and slightly overinflated tires.

I would say don;t even bother about it until you get where you are going.