Brake Hose

fengxian

I am new member, I don't know the car much.

I got a problem today.I have a 94 Es300 and I found that the left-front brake hose was broken in this morning. I called the dealer to get the price quote($249 for one) and double(left and right) for $328. I thought that that was too expensive.

I am wondering if I can change the brake hose by myself and if I have to change double sides. I really need your help!

When you say hose do you mean the actual reubber absed hose, or the metal hard lines?

If it's just the hose go buy some length of rubber brake hose at whatever parts store you can find it at. Just make sure if you don't get the little clamps that you save the old ones.

When you say hose do you mean the actual reubber absed hose, or the metal hard lines?

If it's just the hose go buy some length of rubber brake hose at whatever parts store you can find it at. Just make sure if you don't get the little clamps that you save the old ones.

Thanks! It is the rubber brake hose. The little clamp means the two ends( metal parts) of the brake hose ?

I called the dealer to get the price quote($249 for one) and double(left and right) for $328. I thought that that was too expensive.

that's outrageous. a complete set of stainless steel hoses for the front is less than $100.

Did you try Autozone, the website lists several and the most expensive is $35.

steviej

I called the dealer to get the price quote($249 for one) and double(left and right) for $328. I thought that that was too expensive.

that's outrageous. a complete set of stainless steel hoses for the front is less than $100.

Did you try Autozone, the website lists several and the most expensive is $35.

steviej

Yes,I can get the hose $40 from the internet. But I don't know if I can change it by myself. Somebody told me that I have to do bleed the hydraulic (spelling ??) system, which I can't do it by myself. What is that?

I'm curious to know what happened that made you realize the brake hose was broken? Normally a factory orginal Toyota brake hose will start to develop slight hair line cracks when they are 10-15 years old, but not enough to leak until they are 25-40 years old.

I'm curious to know what happened that made you realize the brake hose was broken?  Normally a factory orginal Toyota brake hose will start to develop slight hair line cracks when they are 10-15 years old, but not enough to leak until they are 25-40 years old.

In this morning, I found that there are liquid on the ground under the car and I drove the car to the car care center near by my house. The mechanic checked the car and showed me the broken rubber hose. He said that the brake hose should be replaced and they didn't have the hose. So I called the dealer to get the price quote. I don't know why the rubber hose was broken, actually I didn't drive it too much and I just change the oil the day before yesterday. The mechanics of lexus didn't find any problem about the brake hose.

There have been a few people who have ruptured a rubber brake line before , no clue where you get 25-40 years from as that is false monarch

From experience buying, restoring and reselling a dozen vintage Toyotas over the past 10 years, plus years of inspecting vintage Toyotas in auto wrecking yards. If you want photographic proof of examples of 30-32 year old brake hoses still in service I can provide them.

However, my experience is based on California vehicles. Brake hoses may crack and leak earlier on the Toyotas operated in cold winter climates.

I think there is something of greater importance that we need to mention. Based upon fengxian's question it's clear to me that he has not replaced a brake hose on his own. Replacing one is not easy for someone who is not familiar with this task. I recommend that you buy the hoses take it to a shop to have them replace them for you. They will have to bleed the brakes and given how critical a component this is you should not attempt replacing them yourself!!

Bleeding the brakes is easy. Nothing to be afraid of.

You take a small dia (around 1/4, or 3-5mm I forget what I use) & drop it down into a jar of brake fluid. Take the cap off the res & pump the brake slowly & steadily. Keep a check on the res so you don't run it dry.

You can do this with one person & goes very, very fast if you're still mobile enough to swing ya head, or adjust mirrors so you can see your jar.

You'll loose brake fluid taking the hose off, but it's not going to all dump out. It's like dropping a staw into a glass, putting your finger on top of the straw & pulling it out. Air tight = leak tight. Capillary action & surface tension.

If it's just the hose go buy some length of rubber brake hose at whatever parts store you can find it at.

Do you know of any chain type auto parts store that carries rubber brake hose / fuel hose / heater hose in METRIC inside and outside diameters? I don't. Toyota owners interested in a a precise, lasting, quality fit need to use metric hoses. I'd love to know of a retail outlet that carrys metric brake hose / fuel hose / heater hose

feng is only interested in perspectives not getting dirty (atleast not yet) under the car.

The brakes are a pretty important part to work on.

Companies who make stainless steel lines will not even crimp on the fittings if it is for an automotive app as it is still good enough for a normal hydraulic fitting but not a auto.

Parts store and some kind of universal rubber brake hose ??????????????

What the :censored: ?

Monarch you realize you bleed a caliper by putting a hose on the bleeding nipple on the back side of the caliper right? You're not installing some critical part... You're fitting a hose on a nipple so air doesn't back-flow into the line when you let pressure off it.

Dude why is your nose in my backside all of a sudden? LoL! :lol:

fengxian

now your price quote makes sence. you didn't say that it includes labor charges.

here is a thought.

talk to Midas, Meineke, Speedy, some chain brake store. Ask them how much they would charge you to replace the line and flush the fluid if you provided the part (the brake hose).

Or find a trusted mechaninc of any family member or friend. Brake bleeding is common practice in any shop as is changing a brake hose. Those shops will defineately be cheaper than the lexus stealership.

steviej

What the :censored: ? Monarch you realize you bleed a caliper by putting a hose on the bleeding nipple on the back side of the caliper right?

Yes I realize the hose needed for brake bleeding need not be anything special. Heck, even a soda straw would work. What I'm talking about it is the availability of bulk hose in metric inside and outside diameter sizes that exactly matches factory original hoses. All kinds of hoses; e.g. vacuum line, fuel line, brake line, power steering, transmission cooling, heater, etc. Do you know of any online sources for bulk hose in metric sizes? Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm curious to know what happened that made you realize the brake hose was broken?  Normally a factory orginal Toyota brake hose will start to develop slight hair line cracks when they are 10-15 years old, but not enough to leak until they are 25-40 years old.

So you want me to leave a cracked brake line on my car? Or better yet, you want me to leave a cracked brake hose on my car for 25 - 40 years and endanger my family because I am too lazy to fix it? Ya sure. I bet 1000 to 1 they are not designed by Toyota to even last that long. Any engineer will tell you that.

Back in the 80's (through today) all overseas motorcycle started every 4 years for ALL hoses (rad and brakes). Even cars are like 4 years I think on rad hoses but people go long to save $30. Even my Kubota is 4 years on ALL hoses.

25 - 40 years...you kill me.

If it's just the hose go buy some length of rubber brake hose at whatever parts store you can find it at.

Do you know of any chain type auto parts store that carries rubber brake hose / fuel hose / heater hose in METRIC inside and outside diameters? I don't. Toyota owners interested in a a precise, lasting, quality fit need to use metric hoses. I'd love to know of a retail outlet that carrys metric brake hose / fuel hose / heater hose

Please make it stop. :D :D :D They use metric since that is there measuring standard. We (USA) I think are the only morons that still use english units. The rest of the world is in metric. The have crimped ends do they not?

Let me know if there is a need to buy metric hoses and maybe I will see. So far the delta in sizes is so small, it is a joke.

I get the same thing with a small # of Kubota people since my Kubota is made in Japan. So far the USA hyd hoses, air filter, hyd couplings work BETTER then the OEM stuff. This is from my dealer since I am not the only one with poor quality hoses and couplings from the factory.