Some Advice Please - Gen2 Or Gen2.5

cshih001

Hello, newbie here. I have been reading the forum for a while and finally decide to go for a LS400. I love the gen2.5 and think (personally) the body style is best looking LS so far. My dream car is a 2000 LS400 blk/blk with nav. I have been looking for a while too, just didn't find any yet. Recently a friend of mine is selling his 97 LS400 blk/blk with 130k, all services done at the dealership (water pump, timing belt, etc). Exerior and interior looks very clean too. He is upgrading to a new LS430 so he wants to sell this one for $13k. Would this be a reasonable price for the car and condition? What should I be looking out for as far as possible things to go wrong in this 97' LS400? What's the main difference between gen2 and gen2.5? Should I be holding out for my dream car gen2.5 or this is a good deal I should jump on it. A lot of question for my 1st post, thanks in advance for the help.

-CS

Hold out for Gen 2.5 in my opinion. I got a Gen 2...love to death! But 2.5 gives you 30 more HP, 5 gears instead of 4 "benefits debatable", wood steering wheel, spiffy computer, way better headlights and variable timing control....but you also get the electronic throttle setup issue.......which translates into a slight split second delay in pedle response. That is a personal preference however, and nearly everyone just adapts to it. Me? I'd get a 98+ model. I think you'd be much happier, especially coming into this as a newbie. But I'm not knockin' the gen 2's either...they're freakin' awesome!

13 is too high for a 2 to me especially from a friend.

1998-2000 is so far the best reliable LS . Ask any Lexus service department and they will tell you other than the normal wear parts it uses bushings especially front strut ones .

cshih001,

I ran NADA values for you on the 97' based in California. Assuming all is perfect, and it has the Nak stereo system and powersunroof "duh, don't all of them?" The values for 130k miles are as follows:

Trade in Value = $11,450

Loan Value = $10,275

Retail Value = $14,400

The Nak stereo option gave you $100 & $125 on retail

The sunroof option gave you $350 & $400 on retail.

This does not take into consideration the market characteristics of your area though. If there's a ton of them for sale, then obviously supply v. demand would probably grant lower numbers. I'm not sure why they give extra $ for sunroof??

Thanks a lot for guys. Blk/blk seems hard to come by, and since it's from a known owner/history; That's why I was looking into that particular 1997 one. Guess I would hold out for what I wanted in the first place. Thanks again for the advice.

:cheers:

13 is too high for a 2 to me especially from a friend.

Agreed! - Especially w/ 130K on it.

If I were you I would find out what the dealership would offer him in trade and then go from there. No Lexus dealership would put a car w/ 130K on it on their used lot so they will have to wholesale it out or send it to the auction. Don't go by the NADA trade-in as most dealerships use the (less well known) Black Book auction prices on cars that are over 5 years old or 100K miles. Chances are he'll be lucky to get $8K in trade on it.