Pitted Windshield

I have just picked up a 1994 LS400 with 158,000 Kms and, from a distance, it looks perfect!

However, the only thing I'd like to fix on it are literally hundreds of very small pits on the windshield caused by flying stones. (No cracks or chips.)

Is there a solution to filling them in, or is a new windshield in order?

I have just picked up a 1994 LS400 with 158,000 Kms and, from a distance, it looks perfect!

However, the only thing I'd like to fix on it are literally hundreds of very small pits on the windshield caused by flying stones. (No cracks or chips.)

Is there a solution to filling them in, or is a new windshield in order?

The only real solution is full replacement, Do you carry full glass on your insurance?

Thanks, dcfish. I appreciate your honesty. And I was afraid this was the only solution.

I don't have glass coverage on my policy because, due to the number of replacement windshields in my area, it is better to spend the premium on a new piece of glass and avoid the claim.

Use a razor blade and a soapy solution and run the blade over the glass.

It will remove the high spots causing some glare spots.

Then use a good water repellent which will also fill in most of the glass.

It will still show some pitting but it will look much less.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, dcfish. I appreciate your honesty. And I was afraid this was the only solution.

I don't have glass coverage on my policy because, due to the number of replacement windshields in my area, it is better to spend the premium on a new piece of glass and avoid the claim.

You can try all of the cover up products and be somewhat satisfied for a short time, But if I was unhappy with the condition of my windshield I would have it replaced, Your current windshield will continue to degrade and sooner or later you will replace it, How long you hold out is your decision. Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...
You can try all of the cover up products and be somewhat satisfied for a short time, But if I was unhappy with the condition of my windshield I would have it replaced, Your current windshield will continue to degrade and sooner or later you will replace it, How long you hold out is your decision. Best of luck

Hi. I just bought a 92 LS400 and the windshield has a crack about 3/4 the legnth of the windshield, but it is very low.

Does anyone have an idea of how much US$ I can expect to pay for a replacement?

Thanks.

Hi.  I just bought a 92 LS400 and the windshield has a crack about 3/4 the legnth of the windshield, but it is very low.

Does anyone have an idea of how much US$ I can expect to pay for a replacement?

Thanks.

In the Kansas City area, a new windshield for your LS would probably run a bit under $300 for non-OEM glass if you pay yourself - a bit more if your insurance company pays. OEM glass would cost a lot more. We've had lots of windshields replaced with non-OEM glass over the past 30 years and got only one bad one.

We had our Camry windshield replaced a few months ago and I am having our LS windshield replaced next Spring by the same shop - they wiill add a visor tint to the new windshield like they did on my current LS.