Power Antenna Not Working Right

My power antenna ('93 SC4 - Nakamichi stereo setup) used to raise and lower itself automatically to compensate for a stronger or weaker radio signal most everytime i changed stations. Especially when going between am and fm. But it stopped doing that a few weeks back. I've tried lubricating the antenna - no difference.

The fella I bought the car from last year told me he had just had a new antenna installed (I assume it was the whole unit, and not just the mast). So it shouldn't be due to age. But come to think of it, he did say he spent $170 to replace it. The whole unit on my wife's Mitsubishi Eclipse costs over $400 from the dealer. No way a Mitsubishi antenna costs more than a Lexus. Maybe it was just the mast that got replaced after all.

Either way, does anybody have any suggestions? Could it be the stereo unit itself? After all, it is responsible for sending the signal to the antenna to raise or lower for reception.

Thanks

Is that the normal operation of the antenna to go up and down between stations. Mine does that too, but I always thought I had an electrical problem within the antenna. When I bought the car it has done it ever since, never thought it was normal can anyone verify this?

My power antenna ('93 SC4 - Nakamichi stereo setup) used to raise and lower itself automatically to compensate for a stronger or weaker radio signal most everytime i changed stations.  Especially when going between am and fm.  But it stopped doing that a few weeks back.  I've tried lubricating the antenna - no difference.

The fella I bought the car from last year told me he had just had a new antenna installed (I assume it was the whole unit, and not just the mast).  So it shouldn't be due to age.  But come to think of it, he did say he spent $170 to replace it.  The whole unit on my wife's Mitsubishi Eclipse costs over $400 from the dealer.  No way a Mitsubishi antenna costs more than a Lexus.  Maybe it was just the mast that got replaced after all.

Either way, does anybody have any suggestions?  Could it be the stereo unit itself?  After all, it is responsible for sending the signal to the antenna to raise or lower for reception.

Thanks

The three position power antenna and embedded backlight antenna are part of the "diversity" system. The power antenna should automatically adjust itself up and down, such as when switching stations or moving through a city.

Glad I could help a few people out there discover something "new" about the SC radio/antenna setup with the whole automatic incremental height adjustments it makes to compensate for radio signal strength, but my initial question still hasn't been answered.

Has anybody else had theirs just stop working? If so, did you need to get work done the the receiver to fix the problem or did replacing the whole antenna assembly do the trick? The antenna still goes up when the radio is on, but it just won't adjust itself like it used to.

thanks all.

Glad I could help a few people out there discover something "new" about the SC radio/antenna setup with the whole automatic incremental height adjustments it makes to compensate for radio signal strength, but my initial question still hasn't been answered.

Has anybody else had theirs just stop working?  If so, did you need to get work done the the receiver to fix the problem or did replacing the whole antenna assembly do the trick?  The antenna still goes up when the radio is on, but it just won't adjust itself like it used to.

thanks all.

It is usually mechanical [ the antena ] or the radio band to antenna wiring may be disconnected.

My car does this too. It a bit annoying to hear whirring noises when I change radio stations. AM seems to be the worst.

Before I bought my car, I had Lexus do a CPO inspection. They said it would cost $750 to replace the antenna!! What a bunch of crooks. They also wanted to replace a 12 year old nacamichi cd changer for $700... :lol: This was Santa Monica Lexus in Cali btw. Stay away from them!

Try rubbing alcohol on the antenna and see if it helps.

Check the wiring in the trunk. There is a signal wire from the antenna to the radio. This is what signals the adjustment. If this is not the case, have someone change the stations and also change from AM to FM while you listen with the trunk open. If the runs on after turning on or off, then it is most likely in the mast. You can get these on ebay for about $20. If the motor runs when changing stations, but the antenna does not move, then it is still the mast.

As long as the motor is turning, then the antenna motor is functioning properly. I most cases, replacing the mast will heal your problems. The mast has a coiled plastic gear, the teeth are easily stripped if not installed properly.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

The mast has a coiled plastic gear, the teeth are easily stripped if not installed properly.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

Yeah, I know all too well about the little plastic teeth on the antenna mast gear coil. I went through about an hour and a half of oh-so-frustrating bodily contortions just trying to lean into the trunk space of my wife's Eclipse to wind the teeth of her replacement mast into the perfect spiral. I'd place the spring-loaded cover back on the antenna motor while simultaneaously keeping all the screw holes lined up...and STILL botched it up! Every time i thought I had it right, I'd turn on the radio to test it, and if it didn't mess up while extending, something would slip out of position and grind the teeth on the way back down. UGGHH those things are a pain in the butt! :cries: