Rx400h His Lights

I was fortunate to have read about the Data Dots on a post from some forum (can't remember which one) and asked my dealer in August. I had them installed before driving to the US Open. I didn't want them to be stolen at a Lexus event. The dealer was just receiving them and putting them on their loaners. They said that people were stealing the headlights off of the loaners when they were parked in the cities. Ironically, I never received a letter from Lexus.

Data Dots are the Lexus response to HID theft on the rx 330 and 400h. It is a kit installed by the dealer that makes it impossible to remove the HID's without making them unsaleable, and it marks them with a permanent id so if they are recovered they can be traced back to your vehicle. In the past if thieves were in possesion of stolen HID lites the police could not prove they were stolen because they were not id'ed to a particular car. Even if the vehicle was sitting a block away with missing headlites it didnt matter unless they actually saw the incident.

The data dots on the HID's now remove that problem. I am hearing it takes about two hours per vehicle to install, involving removing the front bumper cover, Lexus is providing them for free, and you make an appt with the dealer.

the link is at www.clublexus.com, search for 'stolen headlights from 400h' by the poster 'russian md'. you can scroll down from the first page and see the thread, there are seven pages of comments. (somewhere about page five is the answer) The data dots add the id that is tied to your vin number, and the anti theft part is a steel bracket that attaches to the bottom of the ballast (at the bottom of the assembly) and to the body at the fender. hope this helps

I just received the letter from Lexus. The interesting thing is that it specifically says that the theft problem is occurring in NY and NJ. Maybe they are sending out the letter to owners in these areas first. Since it takes 2 hours of labor time to install they probably don't want to handle everyone at once.

katzjammer, rexmiami (and other seattle owners)? , are these data dots available here? my first 6 month/5,000 mi tuneup will be in December; just wondering if I should be asking for the installation then.

datadot_warning.gif

post-18993-1130881471_thumb.jpg

I just got the HID Protection kit installed.  Here's a pic of one of the Data Dot stickers. I attached a pic of the stickers on my car.  There is one on each headlight & each front door.

DataDot USA

After they installed my kit, I noticed what appeared to be dirt on the panle where my sticker is near drivers door. I cleaned most of it off. Now I am think they were data dots, if they were they looked terrible and I though they should be on the HID lights not the panel?