How Difficult To Convert 2002 Es300 To Hid Lights?

paparazzi

Lets calm down guys...

Not mad at all here. :D All is good and calm!

I would like all of use to continue on this sublect since I personally would like to know more.

Not saying he is wrong at all or I am wrong. Just the more info the better I feel since this IS a grey area.

If I have stock reflectors that I can put HIDS in great! My tractor looks great with them! :D :D :D

As for the question of legality, my guess is any retrofit of HIDs into an existing vehicle that did not otherwise have HIDs will be illegal regardless of the type of housing used. Would you be caught? Probably not.

As for the question of legality, my guess is any retrofit of HIDs into an existing vehicle that did not otherwise have HIDs will be illegal regardless of the type of housing used. Would you be caught? Probably not.

True might not be cought but some pix show glare etc. PLus if I had them it would be nice to have some sort of info on my end to show I am not totally "out there" or clueless.

I say I kid this am (5:35 in hartford) with HIDs. They were more blue then cop lights. It looked pretty bad.

But that's why he wants them, for the killer glare. Right?

I have a 2002 Lexus ES 300 with the regular headlights. How difficult is it to convert the lights to HIDs (which were a regular Lexus option for this model year)?

Is it possible to simply "swap-in" the part? Can I get it from an automotive wreckers/recyclers?

I am aware of the website http://www.xenondepot.com/, but these products are designed to convert cars that never even had HID lights as an option in the first place.

Thanks for your help in advance.

You need projectors for this and I think you do not have them since you did not buy this option. So you do not have hids nor the projectors.

The problem is most kids, I use this term since they can't read or understand this (not you just in general) is that is it ILLEGAL to put HID bulbs in halogen housings. This law is for North America, not USA only.

Also after 2003 business were to STOP selling them and I have no idea how xenon Depot does it. ALL xenon depot kits are not approved for road use.

They are not legal since HIDS in halogen housing have hot spots, poor cut off and major glare which in turn blinds oncoming drivers.

The only LEGAL way is retro fit the housings (as noted above). You need the projector and then you can get the ballast, harness, fuses & relays and bulbs (D2R). you can buy these items online for about the same price as one of there kits.

PS. Welcome to LOC!!!!!

PSS I would stay away from xenon Depot. There service sucks. I know, I bought a pair of HIDS for my tractor and it took almost a month to get.

If you want pix of the tractor let me know. Once you see them you will know why they are illegal for road use. The glare is a killer.

So far all the info I found states if I put a HID bulb in my halogen reflector is it not legal. So that blow the theory of reflector based hid stock in my 1998 ES300.

gee, mr grumpy  B)

If I have stock reflectors that I can put HIDS in great!

But as we keep saying, the reflector in HID housings are different than the reflector in halogen housings. The OEM reflector setups account for the HID light and control them differently than the halogen reflector. If you take a HID setup (ballast and bulb) and install them in halogen housings, then it is not the most optimal way to do it. What you really want to do for best OEM results is buy the full OEM HID setup (assuming such an option exist) which includes housings (that has HID reflectors), ballasts, and bulbs for your car.

I agree. If you do not have HIDs, any kind of retrofit (just bulbs, bulb/ballast, full OEM, projectors) are considered illegal. Some setup are harder to catch than others and unless the output is really bad, I don't think an officer will pull you over just for that.

I say I kid this am (5:35 in hartford) with HIDs. They were more blue then cop lights. It looked pretty bad.

I agree that this is not the point to adding HIDs and my opinion is that it looks bad too. Blue for the sake of blue is :chairshot: ;)

I agree halogen and HID housings are diff. I know that.

But what I am confused on here, maybe it is the Chopin talking, :D is this posted on sheet 2:

reflector based hid stock!!!!

navigotor

wrx sti

is300

esclade

acura rl

97-04 lexus es300

rx300

gs

lincoln ls

g35

AND i quit right there

so what hid does not have to come with projectors to be stock biggrin.gif

So my reflectors can take a HID bulb and be called "stock"? Maybe I am playing both sides here but if I put a HID bulb in my 98 yup it will fit (I know that=h7), but glare will suck along with cutoff (blind people really).

Mayeb I just do not understand what "reflector based hid stock" means.

I agree halogen and HID housings are diff. I know that.

But what I am confused on here, maybe it is the Chopin talking, :D  is this posted on sheet 2:

reflector based hid stock!!!!

navigotor

wrx sti

is300

esclade

acura rl

97-04 lexus es300

rx300

gs

lincoln ls

g35

AND i quit right there

so what hid does not have to come with projectors to be stock biggrin.gif

So my reflectors can take a HID bulb and be called "stock"? Maybe I am playing both sides here but if I put a HID bulb in my 98 yup it will fit (I know that=h7), but glare will suck along with cutoff (blind people really).

Mayeb I just do not understand what "reflector based hid stock" means.

HIDs come in 2 flavors: projector-based and reflector-based. The reflector-based ones have (obviously) reflectors in them but the reflector configuration is different than the reflector configuration in halogen housings.

I think all he is saying there is that this is a list of some cars that came with reflector-based HIDs.

For you, you have halogen housings. Putting a HID kit into these halogen housings is not the same as having housings with reflectors configured for HID lighting from the factory. You are right that putting in a HID kit (and I am staying away from the HID look-a-like halogen bulbs :)) in a halogen housing will potentially cause glare and cutoff problems. Since all manufacturers shape the reflectors differently, some will be better than others. The reflectors in a reflector-based HID system will shape the reflector configuration to reduce glare and shape the cutoff since it is expecting HID-based lighting.

OK, I agree with your post 100% but I still do not get that ones statement noted above. I say this since I have one of the cars on this list (98 ES300) and it does NOT have “reflector based hid stock or HID based Reflectors!!!!” It has halogen reflectors since HIDS were not an option back in 97/98 for this car. If it had HIDS I would not have an H7 bulb configuration (for halogen). It would be D2R D2S as a HID bulb.

That is what I do not get. I am saying nope but his list says yes.

OK, I agree with your post 100% but I still do not get that ones statement noted above. I say this since I have one of the cars on this list (98 ES300) and it does NOT have “reflector based hid stock or HID based Reflectors!!!!” It has halogen reflectors since HIDS were not an option back in 97/98 for this car. If it had HIDS I would not have an H7 bulb configuration (for halogen). It would be D2R D2S as a HID bulb.

That is what I do not get. I am saying nope but his list says yes.

Gotcha. As I am not familiar with the ES lineage, I will leave that confirmation to the ES crew. :)

• 1 month later...
I would like to see a picture of the tractor . Nice change of pace on here.

I finally found ome pix:6500K HIDs in my Kubota BX22 TBL. No loader or Backhoe installed this day.

post-7516-1134243100_thumb.jpg

old lights

post-7516-1134243119_thumb.jpg

old lights on left and HID on right

post-7516-1134243156_thumb.jpg

HID lights

post-7516-1134243235_thumb.jpg

HID lights on my front walkway

That is just so cool. :D :cheers:

That's great LoL! Out alot to project huge swath of light! Even wierder, angle them both in a ton & make it look wierd!  :lol:  :lol:

:)

The bad part is with the front end loader on, the lights it less; but, more the stock. Plus no HIDS for the backhoe....You would think for the $$$ of it, it would have them (HIDS).

post-7516-1134245466_thumb.jpg

*based on the loader etc, I need more light wider...

post-7516-1134245567_thumb.jpg

Another light pix on the waywalk.

All-in-all I still would like to know if my 1998 has HIDS base stock (reflector-based HIDS) or not. Just wondered.