Install An Aftermarket Navigation In 04 Es330

hey guys, new here, I've been searching the forums but no luck... or maybe I'm just unlucky.. anywho, I'm considering to purchase a 04 es330.. it has just about everything except navi and sunshade..

anywho, I was wondering if it was possible to install an aftermarket navigation in this car. I'm trying to find pics of it but no luck, thanks for any help..

hey guys, new here, I've been searching the forums but no luck... or maybe I'm just unlucky.. anywho, I'm considering to purchase a 04 es330.. it has just about everything except navi and sunshade..

anywho, I was wondering if it was possible to install an aftermarket navigation in this car.  I'm trying to find pics of it but no luck, thanks for any help..

Why don't you buy one with nav?

thanks, we're still deciding at the moment, may end up getting an 02 es300, but no navi in that as well

but.. has that been done? has someone installed an aftermarket navigation into the current model?

I'm talking about installing a OEM nav just like it came from the factory, Or just like you ordered the car with a nav. I know several people who have installed factory nav in a non-nav LEXUS.

thanks, we're still deciding at the moment, may end up getting an 02 es300, but no navi in that as well

but.. has that been done? has someone installed an aftermarket navigation into the current model?

I'm talking about installing a OEM nav just like it came from the factory, Or just like you ordered the car with a nav. I know several people who have installed factory nav in a non-nav LEXUS.

First you will need a dash kit to integrate the aftermarket unit. The kits fill in the gaps and keep the aesthetics of the interior looking like factory. Plus you will need an adaptor to connect the unit to the vehicle.

There are two type of navigation systems - portable and installed. The portable units are less expensive, and as the name implies, portable. They can be taken from vehicle to vehicle. While these units are less expensive they are not as feature latent as the installed units. On the other hand they can be taken from car to car which is great if you travel in other unknown areas.

The more sophisticated navigation systems are integrated into the vehicle. The most popular navigation systems are from Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood or Eclipse. These units are bolted to your vehicle and connect to the reverse and speed pulse wire for accurate detection of the vehicle's direction and speed. Since they are installed they are covered by your insurance company if you have to file a claim.

The installed navigation units come in two styles - DIN and double- DIN. DIN is a standard size opening that most OEM manufacturers have adopted except for some GM and Chrysler vehicles. DIN is the smaller of the two and looks like a standard aftermarket CD player. As the name implies, double DIN, is simply the size of two units stacked. Your ES300 can accomodate a double-DIN unit.

Pioneer and Alpine offer a DIN (single) unit that feature a motorized screen. They can either be operated by remote control or by the touch-screen. The screen connects to a hide-a-way module that is tucked away beneath a seat or under the dash. The only time you need to access the hide-a-way module is when you need to change the DVD map disc. When you turn on the car the screen automatically folds out and when you turn the vehicle off the screen retracts into the dash.

Double-din units are available from Pioneer, Kenwood and Eclipse. The entire assembly fits into the dash and also features a touch screen. If you compare the current ES330's navigation system (double-DIN) you will find that the operation and look of the system are very similiar to the Kewnood and Eclipse units. They are easy to operate and a less expensive in comparison to adding the OEM units. Plus, they incorporate the most current technology available.

As with the OEM navigation system you cannot input a destination while the vehicle is in motion. They don't want you to wreck ur new car!

Lastly, pick a quality establishment to install the unit if you go with the installed system. Ask them specific questions and ask for pictures; you don't want a hack installer to mess up your car or deploy the airbags! Don't laugh.... it happens more than you can imagine. Choose wisely!

Good luck!

well ended up getting the 04, can anyone help with this?

While there's no doubt that the in-dash units look best, you might want to consider another (less expensive) option. We're going to equip our sales force with dash-mounted units. I've ordered an iWay and a TomTom from Best Buy for evaluation. We'll buy whichever one we like best for the staff.

Each of these units costs about $800 and stores maps of the entire US. You can update them from your PC without buying a new DVD disk from Lexus. As an added advantage, you can easily move them from car to car.

This solution isn't for everyone, but looks like a good solution for us.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm intresting jragosta.. I'm not too into the portable navi but I would like to know how your evaluation goes on both the products

bump in hopes of help soon

I still have the factory nav if you decide not to go aftermarket.

hmm intresting jragosta.. I'm not too into the portable navi but I would like to know how your evaluation goes on both the products

bump in hopes of help soon

I still have the factory nav if you decide not to go aftermarket.

really?! do you have pics of it?

I have all/any info on the unit. PM or EM me. I can't PM you???and your email is unavailable?

I installed a factory nav in my 97 and yes it can be done to 2002 and later models as well as it was a option in those cars to begin with.  http://homepage.mac.com/drsunilpatel/PhotoAlbum19.html

Sunman:

You have done a good job on installing the Nav in your ES, I like to have one also.

Are you able to provide some kind of Esti. cost for yours?

I was looking into those in-dash Nav w/ DVD, but not decide yet.

Thank you for providing such nice pictures.

I've now tested two portable units and am reviewing them per someone's request.

I tried the TomTom unit. It was nice and compact and runs on batteries, so you can remove it from the car and walk around. It took quite a while to find the satellites, but seemed to work OK after that. ease of use was pretty good. However, it had one major flaw - my housing development (which has been here for at least 6-8 years) wasn't even listed. I have to assume that coverage in other areas is limited, too.

I also tried the iWay 500 from Lowrance. This is one huge, hefty unit and you might have trouble finding an easy way to mount it on the dash (they provide a suction cup to hold it to the windshield, but that just doesn't seem secure for such a heavy unit. They also provide a clamp to secure it, but I'm not sure where I can use that on my 04 ES. The screen is very large and very bright - much nicer than the TomTom screen. There's no battery, so you can't carry it around with you when you're walking. Coverage was great - it took me right to my house without difficulty.

I'd much rather have a built in unit, but if you want to save some money, these portable units do the job very well. Personally, I'd prefer the iWay because of its better coverage, but I'll have to work a bit to find a good mounting mechanism.

Both of them can be found at local retailers.