White Smoke From Exhause

guy747

Have you had a chance to check your gas mileage since you've been getting this higher idle? How's the engine temp reading? The reason why I'm asking is because maybe you're running a little lean. You said you emptied the tank and then put heat in it, and ran the heat through it at empty. You're actually supposed to put the heat in an empty tank, then fill it up so the fuel will mix with the heat and drive it like that, not just on the heat itself. I'm think the heat alone did something, and made the computer adjust the settings to a more lean setting...aka...more air, less fuel. Tell me more about how much gas you've run through the car since the heat?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all!

I don't have a Lexus, more so my Subaru Impreza (lots of fun!).

Recently my Dads LS400 also had similar symtoms. Lots of exhaust fumes out the tailpipes and the smell of gasoline with it, which seems to be MORE RICH than just black smoke alone with a bit more water coming out than normal.

When this happend, my dad looked under the car to see what he could find. He did notice that the cat on the pass side was red. SO I'm assuming either a O2 sensor on that side is bad or something. We did happen to do a MAF swap with my sister's LS400 but it had the same symtoms.

NOW it could possibly be the injectors stuck open. We have not checked the injectors yet. JUST TO CLEARIFY, how about do I go checking to see which injector is bad? I know the spark plug does get wet but how about do we see that?

Thanks!

FuJi

p.s. gotta love the car forums, so helpful!

Hello all!

I don't have a Lexus, more so my Subaru Impreza (lots of fun!).

Recently my Dads LS400 also had similar symtoms. Lots of exhaust fumes out the tailpipes and the smell of gasoline with it, which seems to be MORE RICH than just black smoke alone with a bit more water coming out than normal.

When this happend, my dad looked under the car to see what he could find. He did notice that the cat on the pass side was red. SO I'm assuming either a O2 sensor on that side is bad or something. We did happen to do a MAF swap with my sister's LS400 but it had the same symtoms.

NOW it could possibly be the injectors stuck open. We have not checked the injectors yet. JUST TO CLEARIFY, how about do I go checking to see which injector is bad? I know the spark plug does get wet but how about do we see that?

Thanks!

FuJi

p.s. gotta love the car forums, so helpful!

Red cat=Clogged cat, or running WAYYYYYYYYY rich.

won't even pretend to be able to follow the logic of some of these posts, but want to toss this out for what it's worth. my mechanic told me that a mass air flow sensor that has failed will cause backup in the manifold and that lots of white smoke (not a little, a lot) is the result.

White smoke can also come from running way too rich.

Most people associate white smoke with coolant leaks only .When an injector is stuck it will cause so much raw gas it comes out white instead of black which is burnt fuel or carbon.It is too much and the engine cannot even burn it.

this is exacly what is going on i even took the spark plugs off to see if they were wet and found the num 7 and the 1 cylinder spark plugs drained with fuel

so i took them out and switch them around (the injectors) to see if the others would help the 1 and 7 cylinders and with them changed it still drained the 1 and 7

question what is a cam sensor this is what the guy i bought the car from said was one of the things that the dealer told him needed replaced

can it case this problem ?

and if so do you know the location on it?

• 8 months later...

It is a tough thing for many to understand until they can replicate the problem itself which is raw gas being pumped without it being burnt.

The only carbon left if from residuale combustion entering the exhaust system which ignites the raw gas.

Everyone has always kept to the mantra of

blue is oil

white is coolant

black is raw

But black is raw that a cat is trying to burn or an unfinished combustion cycle.

Had a example of the problem of raw gas ad white smoke but not coolant.It smelled of pure gas out of the exhaust.

Finally found a bad injector (stuck open) coupled with a faulty coil ,so it had little to no carbon to make it black.

SK:

From an old post, but short of taking them out (novice, would have to take to shop), is there any way to know if an injector is "stuck open" as you mention? 94 ES mpg is terrible, replaced bank 1 O2 and will clean tb, iac, maf sensor this weekend, and perhaps replace plugs (these all I can do). I presume sea foam thru brake booster and in fuel tank won't fix an injector stuck open-just help to unclog them? Am I correct? DO I have to remove the injectors to know this? Thanks so much...