Hey Guys Story And Problem

GSsoldier

ok so this weekend was a crazy weekened... but the story is basically around midnight a couple of us went out to the anbandons... to do some hard driving... and to make everyone feel a lil at ease there were no houses or people around the area we went into for a good mile or 2... anyways we did some speed driving... some drifting... we had my ls and a benz both rwd mine v8 blah blah everyone here knows specs... the benz was made for the audoban... super light benz sport suspension... we both knew the limits... and took turns driving and everything... we went drifting for about 30 mins... well basically 2 rounds of drifting 2 rounds of speed course... with about 5 mins between each round... and we took a break in a parking lot... gave time for our cars to cool off... 20 mins of cool off time...

anyways to the problem my power steering is now not working properly... it works when driving but at a near standstill it will be hard as H*ll to turn and park and stuff... the problem disappears when i press my foot on the gas... now we took a look at it afterwards... and i saw bubbles in the powersteering fluid after we felt a problem with the powersteering.... but later on the next time i drove i didnt see them... im wondering what the problem really is... we added some powersteering fluid... didnt do much... this is the first time this has happened and i understand yea maybe i shouldnt do any drifting with the LS but i have done the same before with out any problems... and yes i realize i should get a second car to do this stuff and im going too but i want to keep my baby as long as possible and any advice or comments will be most grateful... also clarification will be given if it doenst make sense thanks in advance

What happens commonly is that when the wheel is hard over and the pump bypass valve opens, and the engine is held at high RPM, the pump fails internally from overpressure. The bypass cannot open far enough. Normally at full lock the engine is at idle RPM, not redline. If the overpressure got to the rack, that may be damaged as well. Tough luck.

whats the difference ? between the 2 fluilds i still have yet to talk to my pops

most lexus models use atf instead of powe steering fluid, it has something to do with the properties of the fluid reacting with the seals

ok so this weekend was a crazy weekened... but the story is basically around midnight a couple of us went out to the anbandons... to do some hard driving... and to make everyone feel a lil at ease there were no houses or people around the area we went into  for a good mile or 2... anyways we did some speed driving... some drifting... we had my ls and a benz both rwd mine v8 blah blah everyone here knows specs... the benz was made for the audoban... super light benz sport suspension... we both knew the limits... and took turns driving and everything... we went drifting for about 30 mins... well basically 2 rounds of drifting 2 rounds of speed course... with about 5 mins between each round... and we took a break in a parking lot... gave time for our cars to cool off...  20 mins of cool off time...

anyways to the problem my power steering is now not working properly... it works when driving but at a near standstill it will be hard as H*ll to turn and park and stuff... the problem disappears when i press my foot on the gas... now we took a look at it afterwards... and i saw bubbles in the powersteering fluid after we felt a problem with the powersteering.... but later on the next time i drove i didnt see them... im wondering what the problem really is... we added some powersteering fluid...  didnt do much... this is the first time this has happened and i understand yea maybe i shouldnt do any drifting with the LS but i have done the same before with out any problems... and yes i realize i should get a second car to do this stuff and im going too but i want to keep my baby as long as possible and any advice or comments will be most grateful... also clarification will be given if it doenst make sense thanks in advance

Hello: Page 241 Lexus LS Owners Manual 1998 (If yours is before or after check the manual)

Checking Power Steering fluid "Check the fluid level on the dipstick. If necessary, add automatic transmission fluid DEXRON ® II or III."

Let us know the outcome of all this.

C. PR

I had the same thing happen to my 91ls back in july....the ps goes out when your stopped, but is controlable at driving speeds (switching lanes, ect). Im almost positive mine occured because I took a sharp u turn in heavy traffic, and the car made a grinding noise (im guessing the wheels went too far perpendicular cause i was going way too fast for the turn) Next time i started the car the ps was out. I went a day without the system, i played with it and i realized that it is completely dependent upon engine speed. Try reving the engine gently and turning the wheel, see if it gets any easier.

When I bought my 91 it had steering problems, and i payed a heafty 2000 to get an all new rack from my toyota dealer, so when it went out a 2nd time in 2 years i was not happy at all! The good news is that the problem resolved itself, i drove about 60 highway miles @ 70mph, pulled off and the car was back to normal.

Try cleaning the PS solenoid screen. There is a recent thread discussing this. After I cleaned mine, steering was much easier.

A clogged solenoid screen will cause too much pressure to build up in the system and will eventually cause hoses/seals to leak.

ahh well thanks anyways we got everything done for about 650... my dad and i helped our mechanic so we got a major break... ahh well its fixed but now i have a wire problem in the trunk i posted a while back about it i want to get it fixed one time the problem got so bad that the car basically thought it was in neutral but if i gassed the car over 3k rpm it kicked into gear ahh well