Tire Question

91L3xus

While jacking up my car for the first time yesterday, I realized that all of my tires were facing the correct way (looking at the tires from the front of the car the tread goes in down, I'll get a picture to show you what I mean). Except for the front left, which I also noticed that the direction arrow was pointing the wrong way. Does this do something to the tracing ability of my car? I'm about to replace all 4 tires, since the front 2 have about 2/32" tread left and there's a large chunk missing from my left rear; also a bulge 6 inches from the missing chunk. Right now I have 195/60 R15 88H Goodyear Aquatreads on it, and they are some crap. Any suggestions for 4 new tires? I'll be keeping the left rear Aquatread as the spare to replace the stock Dunlop spare. Price shouldn't be over $100 per tire if possible. Thanks.

First picture is the front left tire, second picture is the front right tire (same direction as the rears), and third is the chunk missing from my tire, which my dad said would be fine (when we bought the car) until yesterday, when he was helping me with removing the rims.

post-18112-1128289243_thumb.jpg

post-18112-1128289253_thumb.jpg

post-18112-1128289263_thumb.jpg

While jacking up my car for the first time yesterday, I realized that all of my tires were facing the correct way (looking at the tires from the front of the car the tread goes in down, I'll get a picture to show you what I mean).  Except for the front left, which I also noticed that the direction arrow was pointing the wrong way.  Does this do something to the tracing ability of my car?  I'm about to replace all 4 tires, since the front 2 have about 2/32" tread left and there's a large chunk missing from my left rear; also a bulge 6 inches from the missing chunk.  Right now I have 195/60 R15 88H Goodyear Aquatreads on it, and they are some crap.  Any suggestions for 4 new tires?  I'll be keeping the left rear Aquatread as the spare to replace the stock Dunlop spare.  Price shouldn't be over $100 per tire if possible.  Thanks.

First picture is the front left tire, second picture is the front right tire (same direction as the rears), and third is the chunk missing from my tire, which my dad said would be fine (when we bought the car) until yesterday, when he was helping me with removing the rims.

Sounds like your tires might be 'directional' (they can only be mounted on one side of the car) & 3 are the correct way & 1 is not (they ordered 1 the wrong way when you bought them......they should have ordered 2 right side & 2 left). I really don't like that 'chunk' either 91L3! :blink: Change them VERY soon, as it's unsafe.

In the 195 60 15 'H' speed rating, I'd go with this tire hands down.....the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...e1=yes&place=16

The assurance website:

http://www.goodyearassurance.com/

Only other tire I would consider (a close second) in your price range is the Falken Ziex ZE-512

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

Both are H speed rated, but the GY has an 80,000 mile warranty & it's what I will be putting on my 01 ES soon & also my wife's Subaru Forester when we purchase it. Best tire available hands down in your size! B) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

:cheers:

While jacking up my car for the first time yesterday, I realized that all of my tires were facing the correct way (looking at the tires from the front of the car the tread goes in down, I'll get a picture to show you what I mean). Except for the front left, which I also noticed that the direction arrow was pointing the wrong way. Does this do something to the tracing ability of my car? I'm about to replace all 4 tires, since the front 2 have about 2/32" tread left and there's a large chunk missing from my left rear; also a bulge 6 inches from the missing chunk. Right now I have 195/60 R15 88H Goodyear Aquatreads on it, and they are some crap. Any suggestions for 4 new tires? I'll be keeping the left rear Aquatread as the spare to replace the stock Dunlop spare. Price shouldn't be over $100 per tire if possible. Thanks.

It does matter which way they face. The one that is backwards will actually channel water towards the center of the tire instead of away, then you will really experience hydroplaning.

Snes

(they can only be mounted on one side of the car) & 3 are the correct way & 1 is not (they ordered 1 the wrong way when you bought them......they should have ordered 2 right side & 2 left). 

Bren, you're kidding, right? Directional tires don't come in left and right versions. However, the tire guy has to pay close attention to arrows on the side wall.

jbarhorst2 is correct, they just have to unmount it, flip the rim over and remount it.

91L3xus, that tire with the bite taken out of it is an accident waiting to happen. Go with the TripleTreds. My best friend just put them on his 98 Avalon. I am very impressed with them on his car. They are not that expensive, especially if you can find a "buy 3 get 4 sale" or some similar promotion that Goodyear stores are always throwing up.

steviej

Bren, you're kidding, right?  Directional tires don't come in left and right versions.  However, the tire guy has to pay close attention to arrows on the side wall.

jbarhorst2 is correct, they just have to unmount it, flip the rim over and remount it.

91L3xus, that tire with the bite taken out of it is an accident waiting to happen.  Go with the TripleTreds.  My best friend just put them on his 98 Avalon.  I am very impressed with them on his car.  They are not that expensive, especially if you can find a "buy 3 get 4 sale" or some similar promotion that Goodyear stores are always throwing up.

steviej

Apparently Steve lol, I knew something was wrong there by the way I explained that........brain cramp......my bad! :rolleyes::wacko: :chairshot:

Here is info from tirerack that might explain it correctly lol. ;)

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/package_install.jsp

:cheers:

Thanks for the help, links and feedback all. :cheers:

Friday is my birthday, so maybe I'll get some new rims along with a set of those Falken tires, LF, which I did some research on and went to the garage up a few miles from me, who said they were very reliable and had quite a bit of bite to them.

(they can only be mounted on one side of the car) & 3 are the correct way & 1 is not (they ordered 1 the wrong way when you bought them......they should have ordered 2 right side & 2 left). 

Bren, you're kidding, right? Directional tires don't come in left and right versions. However, the tire guy has to pay close attention to arrows on the side wall.

Unless they are directional and asymmetric. ;) One of my friends has a set like this and rotating/flipping is out of the question.

Unless they are directional and asymmetric. ;) One of my friends has a set like this and rotating/flipping is out of the question.

You are correct but the end users (including myself) see the tires with Left and right. I guess the arrow was not dummy proof enough.

I wonder when or if bi-lingual is next?