Road Noise 2002 Ls430

austinite

Bought a CPO 2002 LS430 Ultra Lux w/ 58K miles. Has Goodyear Eagle LS 225 55 R17 97H tires.

During test drive rode very quiet on smooth pavement.

However, on any type of rough pavement or places that had undergone any construction it is way too loud. At both highway and low speeds.

No wind noise, cannot hear the engine running, but the road noise is loud.

I am going to have dealer look at it but was wondering if anyone had thoughts.

Probably tires. I see where they're 55 series. Those have stiff sidewalls that can communicate road noise a lot. I had those types of tires on my 01 maxima se, and they were very very loud!

Austinite (I'm a former Austinite), I also believe new tires would make a big difference. I have Toyo Proxes TPTs and they're LOUD on concrete. A friend who is a Jeep geek rode with me last weekend and commented on how much louder my tires were than his offroad tires...ouch. They also flat spot overnight. Steve, I believe you said you had Toyo Proxes TPTs before, and didn't like them, right? I can't wait for them to wear out. 20K and they still have LOTS of tread :cries: I guess I have to look at this in a positive light and say that they're wearing very evenly. Do you still like your Michelins? Good luck, Austinite.

Austinite (I'm a former Austinite), I also believe new tires would make a big difference.  I have Toyo Proxes TPTs and they're LOUD on concrete.  A friend who is a Jeep geek rode with me last weekend and commented on how much louder my tires were than his offroad tires...ouch.  They also flat spot overnight.  Steve, I believe you said you had Toyo Proxes TPTs before, and didn't like them, right?  I can't wait for them to wear out.  20K and they still have LOTS of tread  :cries:  I guess I have to look at this in a positive light and say that they're wearing very evenly.  Do you still like your Michelins?  Good luck, Austinite.

Yep, I had the same experience. My TPTs were great at first, but got loud around 20k. I still love my Michelins and they're MUCH quieter than the TPTs ever were.