Need Some Repair Advice

PointRman

I'm thinking about buying a '91 LS400 with 80K miles on it. Two different repairmen told me that the timing belt is running on borrowed time because of it's age. The dealer says it'd cost $800 to replace just the belt, but I should go ahead and replace everything that has to be removed to change the T belt. That figure is a solid $1,600. Another repairman said the $1,600 figure could be on the low end depending on what they see when they get into the engine. It's beginning to sound like a moneypit on wheels. :)

I would appreciate some advice, observations and suggestions from some seasoned owners on this subject.

Also, are there any good or bad points about this year and model? There are a few surprises that I'd like to avoid. :)

Thanks in advance.

i'm facing the same problem, rite now as as you can c in the other topic i created i decided to do it myself, only parts cost me total with everything around 800$ excluding labor. and i still dont know if i got all the parts i need. so stay tuned for updates.

If you have any mechanical inclinations and you are a DIY'er, get yourself a Service Manual and go for it. I bought a 93 LS400 a couple of months ago and have been slowly working all the little problems out of it. My experience so far is that sometimes you have to remove a lot of parts to get at the problem but everything comes apart easy and fits back together nicely. I replaced all of the components of the A/C system, compressor, condenser, receiver drier, expansion valve for a total cost of under $1000. I would be afraid to ask what this would have cost at the dealer. Things that I have had to repair on my 93 are: complete A/C system replacement, mast for the power antenna, repair the outside mirrors, neither one worked when I bought it, repaired the instrument cluster, both Tach and Speedometer quit working, replaced hood struts with Autozone struts through info I found in this forum. One thing that you have to consider with a 91 is that the A/C has R-12 freon installed unless it has already been converted. Starting in 93 they had R-134a installed and R-12 is very hard to acquire. The car had a new power steering pump, new altenator, and the timing belts were replaced at 85K miles so I shouldn't have to worry about them for a while but all of these components can and probably cost you bucks down the road if they haven't been replaced already. These components are a common fail for this generation Lexus. Not trying to scare you off, this is the quietest, smoothest running car I have ever owned, check all the maintenance records, go to a Lexus dealer with the VIN and look up what work has been performed.

Curt

Thanks for the reply. A Lexus owner would do well to learn how to do a little work himself just to survive with their shop rates. :)

FYI, one fellow said the dealer charged him $1,400 to overhaul his a/c system. An independent charged another fellow $1,200 rebuild it.

$1600 seems right if you change everysingle tentioner and bearing and wires and belt and waterpump on the front of the engine. but if you only replace what is needed like the timing belt tentioner bearings and such you can get away at about $800 like VMF said take a look at what he bought seems about right unless you pullies are making noise

I have '94 LS400 with 93k on it. Just did 90K service like you are about to do. All my parts costed me around $500. All of of them Nipon Densco or better. Timing belt, driver belt, water pump, all fluids incl. OEM transm. oil(very important), distributors, rotors, plugs, some valves etc. My friend at Toyota dealer worked 7 hours and charged me $300. FOGET the Lexus dealer. :pirate: Find a local pro who let you buy your own parts. Good luck.

P.S. You can check the service records by VIN if the former owner ever visited a dealer.

perhaps its cheaper for first generation ls 400, i bought original parts for the lowest price i was able to find and its still 800$ not counting new coolant and new oil

www.newlexusparts.com

but you can do some research on www.parts.com

for all online lexus parts dealers

but when i did it i saw the prices fluctuates all around the same evarage with difference around 1-5$

Hey OBERGC I appreciate that information. You ought to post that on a new topic. I need to do an a/c compressor on my 90 400. I would like to hear any specific details on problems you encountered. Thanks. Denny

• 3 weeks later...

Dear "obergc" or anyone else-

I have the same problem with the speedometer/tachometer on my 1993 ls400. They stay at zero until the first few miles when they usually start working again. OBERGC, you said you fixed it-- any advice on how to do it cheaply???

Kisik, I have a question for you-

what specifically did you replace when you did your timing belt? I found a local guy who only works with lexus and lexus parts, so I was looking into getting all of that stuff done (he mentioned the same things you did but no specifics) but he wants $1500, which sounds like a dealer figure.

However, if I can get the parts, it will be $65/hr.

So I thought I would try to get them all off newlexusparts.com.

For example, did you have just the distributor rotor and cap replaced, or the igniter also?

I just want to make a list to see what I am looking at costwise for the parts.

you have to get :

2 distriburors

2 caps

1 wire set

8 spark plugs

1 timing belt tensioner

1 right timing belt pulley

1 left timing belt pulley

1 timing belt

1 aux belt

2 crankshaft seals

1 camshaft seal

1 water pump

plus you have to get the silicon sealant, new cooling fluid and a special tool to get that big camshaft pulley