Lock Cylinder

rmazoch69

I have a 2000 RX300 and the key came out of the ignition when it was between the ACC and LOCK position. I did not force the key out it came out as if it were in the lock position. The radio was still on and I put the key back in and it would not turn either direction. I turned the steering wheel both directions and it would not lock. I jiggled the key and that did not help. Lexus said that I had to tow it in and they diagnosed it as needing the lock cylinder replaced along with the lock set. They quoted me $1600. I do not have a warranty and I just bought it a few weeks ago. Do I need to replace all of the lock set? Is this something that I could take somewhere else and get fixed or is it something that has to get done at a lexus dealership? Can I order the part and do it myself? Where would I order the part from? Is the security system in the car and the key linked to the lock cyclinder? If it is as simply as replacing the lock cyclinder, my brother is a mechanic, but wasn't sure about the computer chips in the keys and car.

I have a 2000 RX300 and the key came out of the ignition when it was between the ACC and LOCK position.  I did not force the key out it came out as if it were in the lock position.  The radio was still on and I put the key back in and it would not turn either direction.  I turned the steering wheel both directions and it would not lock.  I jiggled the key and that did not help.  Lexus said that I had to tow it in and they diagnosed it as needing the lock cylinder replaced along with the lock set.  They quoted me $1600.  I do not have a warranty and I just bought it a few weeks ago.  Do I need to replace all of the lock set?  Is this something that I could take somewhere else and get fixed or is it something that has to get done at a lexus dealership?  Can I order the part and do it myself?  Where would I order the part from?  Is the security system in the car and the key linked to the lock cyclinder?  If it is as simply as replacing the lock cyclinder, my brother is a mechanic, but wasn't sure about the computer chips in the keys and car.

Call a locksmith and tell him what? How much is a tumbler and do I replace it before the locksmith comes or after?

I have a 2000 RX300 and the key came out of the ignition when it was between the ACC and LOCK position.  I did not force the key out it came out as if it were in the lock position.  The radio was still on and I put the key back in and it would not turn either direction.  I turned the steering wheel both directions and it would not lock.  I jiggled the key and that did not help.  Lexus said that I had to tow it in and they diagnosed it as needing the lock cylinder replaced along with the lock set.  They quoted me $1600.  I do not have a warranty and I just bought it a few weeks ago.  Do I need to replace all of the lock set?  Is this something that I could take somewhere else and get fixed or is it something that has to get done at a lexus dealership?  Can I order the part and do it myself?  Where would I order the part from?  Is the security system in the car and the key linked to the lock cyclinder?  If it is as simply as replacing the lock cyclinder, my brother is a mechanic, but wasn't sure about the computer chips in the keys and car.

Had same problem with 2000 LX470.

Repaired for $300.

Ignition switch fits in a metal cylinder which connects to steering column.

Metal often breaks. I looked up part at Lexus dealer computer.

Then bought at Toyota for $150 (same as LAND CRUSIER).

Local mechanic installed for $150.

Takes 2 to 3 hours since old cylinder has to be removed by tapping out bolts (they can't be easily removed)

I would recommend using a good independent and give them a printout of the part diagram...this helps a lot.

Good luck.

Definetly go to a locksmith, even $300 is better than what Lexus charges.

Well it ended up being my cylinder lock. I did not get it replaced at the dealership. It cost me about $600 to replace the cylinder lock. I now have two separate keys. One drives the car and the other can get me in the door if the fob battery is dead. I can still get a lock smith to fix the rest of the locks to make the cylinder lock. Either way it was about $1000 less than at the dealer.

I had it happened to me 2x on my 01 IS. Both times it was done by a valet. Once under the canopy at a wedding during a rainstorm. Everyone else had to get out in the rain. Second time it happened at a resturuant that used the church parking lot to valet as long as they got it out by 6 am Sunday. This occured in the wee hours of Saturday night/Sunday morning. Both times roadside came within 45 minutes and saved the day.