How To "reset"or Power On/off The Cd Changer?

Hi everyone.

I have been searching for answers here but so far cannot find this exact question.

As so many others have lamented, I have problems with my 6-disc changer in my 93 ES300. One day the changer door simply would not respond to the "Eject" button--which is lit up, by the way, so apparently it has power.

I am *pretty sure* that there is a cartridge in there, and furthermore, that at least one of the discs inside is handmade. (DAMN hindsight!! I see here in other posts that handmade discs can wreak havoc on car cd changers....And of course, I had JUST tried using these homemade cd's a couple weeks BEFORE my cd changer developed this problem."

I called Lexus and they told me that they do not do ANY repairs anymore on these, and that all they will do is send it to the factory and replace the entire changer. Which is about $800 with labor!

They hesitated to admit that there "may be someplace else that could open this, though, for less...."

I wonder if there is anything I might try myself, first?

Will "resetting" the entire cd changer possibly kickstart the thing into working? If this is worth a try, How on earth do I reset it? I cannot find ANY reset button. If I have to somehow unplug this, is there anyone who can explain how? And do I have to have the key in ignition--with power? without? Will car theft alarm go off when taking out the changer??

Sorry I'm so clueless. If there is any advice from anyone here, I would SO SO appreciate it. I'm financially challenged and cannot afford any expensive fixes here.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Gabriella :cries:

Gabriella, don't know why the latch is not releasing. Hope you get some suggestions here.

But...

I just don't buy this idea... Why would a "pirate" or burned CD cause the CD changer to fail ? The copied CD's (the round plastic) are made by the same companies that make the "original" ones. As long as they are round and in good condition they should never affect the CD changer.

Geo

Gabriella, don't know why the latch is not releasing.  Hope you get some suggestions here.

But...

I just don't buy this idea... Why would a "pirate" or burned CD cause the CD changer to fail ?  The copied CD's (the round plastic) are made by the same companies that make the "original" ones.  As long as they are round and in good condition they should never affect the CD changer. 

Geo

If the cds stuck in the clamper mechanism in play position you cant get it out until motor that has gone back is replaced. if just magazine stuck with all discs inside there is a manual release on top ot the magazine mechanism but you have to take off the top of the changer both silver metal and thinner black metal top. the 93s are all going bad. I would only recommend 95 96 changer for replacement. Let me know if this helps. ;)

• 3 months later...
Gabriella, don't know why the latch is not releasing.  Hope you get some suggestions here.

But...

I just don't buy this idea... Why would a "pirate" or burned CD cause the CD changer to fail ?  The copied CD's (the round plastic) are made by the same companies that make the "original" ones.  As long as they are round and in good condition they should never affect the CD changer. 

Geo

If the cds stuck in the clamper mechanism in play position you cant get it out until motor that has gone back is replaced. if just magazine stuck with all discs inside there is a manual release on top ot the magazine mechanism but you have to take off the top of the changer both silver metal and thinner black metal top. the 93s are all going bad. I would only recommend 95 96 changer for replacement. Let me know if this helps. ;)

dcfish, I have the same problem in that my 92's magazine is stuck with all the discs inside. I took off the covers, but don't see an identifiable button or latch which would release the magazine when pushed. Can you drill down a tiny bit further?

Thanks,

Vince