Es300 Power Windows

pwm72

I have a 96 ES300 and the drivers side windw goes down just fine but goes up intermittantly...sometimes stopping in the middle of raising. would this be a switch problem or a motor problem?

Please advise if anyone has had any similar problem or if you know of a way to check for sure.

Thanks all :cheers:

I have a 96 ES300 and the drivers side windw goes down just fine but goes up intermittantly...sometimes stopping in the middle of raising.  would this be a switch problem or a motor problem?

Please advise if anyone has had any similar problem or if you know of a way to check for sure.

Thanks all :cheers:

Almost never a motor problem, sometimes regulator or switch. I have replaced both at some time. Do you recall any fluids landing on the buttons? That used to happen to me a alot when I would washer fluid with my windows open. Fluid would land exactly on the switch eventually shorting it out.

Best thing to do would be to pop off your panel and make sure the regulator is in order. If so, most likely the switch.

Snes

because they tested it. Hell, I had to pay them $98 today just to look at it (remove the door panel)!

I am not going to pay 10% of the value of the car to repair the drivers window. I will sell the car before that...and it only has 56k miles on it too.

Well the Lexus dealer wants to hit me for a $802 repair...they say it's the regulator and motor ($552 for the part and $250 labor):cries:

I think they are full of :censored: . I bet you its just the regulator. If you are semi savy in dismantling you door, you can disconnect the regulator from the motor and power up the motor to see if it still works.

i wouldn't even pay half that to replace the motor. look for the part and it is easily doable your self. but first wash the inside of the switch. they tend to get really corroded with this black junk. that will usually help with current issues. oten times that's all that needs to be done. from there, do the regulator yourself. last resort do the the motor. go through the hierarchy to save money, and it doesn't sound like a motor issue to me anyway. what you need to do though is check for potential drop across the motor. ionly know the diagram for the 1997-2001. it may or may not be the same. if you pull the terminal out of the switch and count the wholes, i can tell you if it's the same.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread but.

my passenger window goes up fine but doesn't go down. the control from the drivers side makes it go down but not the actual control on the passengers side. what the :censored: ?

I had almost the same problem with my es , the drives side would go down when it wanted to and always went up , the passanger one would go down but not back up from the drivers control. The problem was the switch , I called lexus the part price I got was $502, the shop I take it to was able to clean the existing switch and get it working again perfectly for now. Only charged $40 too. This problem originated because I spilled pop on the pannel last summer .. took almost a year before it started giving me problems.