Keyed Car - Help!

:(

Hi all, I just got my car keyed on the passenger side doors and dont' know what to do! i just got the car about 2 months ago and was so loving my car. then some a hole had to key the doors. the scratches are on both of my right side doors, each about 1.5 feet long and deep enough to see the metal beneath the paint.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without spending a bundle? i am going to try that scratch removing solution today, but i'm sure it's only temporary. is it a DIY job, or should i take it to a shop, and if so, how much would it cost me?

i'm so sad that my baby had to get damaged :(.. i don't even know why or who did it ...

please help! thanks!

if you can see metal then it need to be repainted

usually about 350 for both doors above the lower trim

it isn't unheard of that some nuts key cars for tons of stupid reasons

like tehy think you dented there door

they think they know you and dislike you

and the best is when a person parks like a moron and takes 2 spaces over in a packed lot

or simple can't seem to be able to center there car in bettween the lines

who knows

sorry to hear though

Hey,

I have many years experience painting cars like the lexus, mercedes, and other luxury cars. A key thing to know is that aftermarket paint (ie. paint from a body shop) is almost never as nice or as strong as the stock paint. It's nearly impossible to match the paint texture, metallics, and color. If the scratch isn't really bad, then I would highly recommend keeping the repair small with a nice touch up job.

You can take it to a scratch and dent repair place and they can probably fix it for under $200 total, and you won't be able to see it. They use many different techniques such as filling the crack with touch up color, then wet sanding the scratch flat w/ 2000 grit sand paper, then polishing it w/ a high speed polisher. This is something you can do yourself as well. Another technique is they may airbrush the scratch then polish it flat, but both look nearly perfect when finished.

Your car is so new that I would highly recommend just keeping the repair small. Your paint is made to last 20+ years w/out really needing repainting. If you opt to repaint the door, you run the risk of the paint flaking away at the edges, chiping, and/or not matching properly.

Just my 2 cents...good luck and sorry to hear it happened to you. ;)

pop for the professional repair. If you are down to bare metal, you don't want rusting to start.

Touch up will work temporarily, but if you are going to do it, do it right. You don't want the clear coat peeling up on you in a few years.

Have you talked to you insurance company?

sj

well i agree with 2 people on this.i think you will never get the paint exactly like the factory if you get the whole doors painted.also you dont want it to rust.if you dont have the money to get it repainted right away i would do what SpeedRacer959 said.keep it small and just have the area fixed.i had a huge scratch right to the metal on my old taures from some jerk and had it filled and touched up then buffed in and it was like it was never there and still had the factory paint.if you get someone good to do it you wont ever see the scratches again.i had that car 4 years after it was touched up and the scratch never reappeared.

What color is your car? A one-stage paint like Black Onyx (no clearcoat) is a lot simpler to repair to match the rest of the car than a two stage metallic with clearcoat (Cashmere Beige, for example), and toughest would be the three stage pearl (Diamond White Pearl--basecoat, pearl coat, clearcoat). As others have mentioned in this thread, matching the interference of metallic paint is tough, and is most noticeable in bright sunlight.

i am not too sure who mislead you to think that the black or any lexus for that matter has no clear coat

all lexus have clear coat unless repainted by a diy or macco type shop adn that would be an acrylic based paint , which is what rubbing compound is used for to brighten it

the 3 stage paint is also not a 3 stage unless you want to count the primer but then all 2 stage paint ( base colour then clear would be a 3 stage)

the pearls are added into the paint base as it is tinted

then a clear goes over it

acrylics where slowly stopped in the 80's and i am usre some manufacturers still used it like lada or skoda

the only time there is more involved is when it is a show car and they have to layer the paint in order to get the desired effect

like chameleon paint which uses a base of black after primer then the paint just applies right over it when used from house of kolour

sorry someone mislead you to think that

if i were you, i'd check with my insurance company. my dad's gs got keyed once on the right side, from almost the rear light all the way to almost the front light, but we found out that insurance just covers stuff that happens like that without raising your insurance rates. plus, we didn't even have to pay a deductible. :magic:

according to my dealership, their coorporate bodyshop (Herb Chambers Motor Group) and the independent bodyshop that did my bodywork in Feb. Black is the only Lexus paint that does NOT have a clear coat.

sj

post the paint code located either on the door jam or the trunk mat

that can make the issue clearer ( lol)

as it will state in code wether there is a clear stage or not

my friend also has a black 96 es 300 and it 100% has a clear coat

i have a 95 and im 110% sure i have a clear coat.personally i never heard of a lexus without a clearcoat but maybe there is and i just never seen one.i know mine has plentyof clear coat on it.lol

OK .... Clear Coat ... Is "clear coat" a seperate paint from your car color... your car color code is only paint.... clear coat is a seperate clear paint.... Most cars made now will always have it!

in fact... most cars within 5-7 years old will def have it!

I'm just getting my "Is color 202 (Black Onyx) clearcoated info?" from another Lexus web forum, where there was a huge discussion thread in the SC430 forum. The consensus was that it wasn't, something to do with clearcoated black showing scratches too evidently. However, I don't know if I've noticed much pigment on my rag after using a cleaner wax (a sign of a non-clearcoated finish).