98 Ls 400 Making Sounds

2milecommute

New poster but a frequent reader. Got a 98 LS400, 98k miles CPO (cert pre-owned) under warranty for another 1700 miles. Originally bought car at another bay area lexus dealer but servicing at Stevens Creek since close to work/home.

2 sounds:

1) got a clicking sound when turning the steering wheel at low speeds (parking lots as an example).

2) going over speed bumps (slowly) clunking sound, suspecting sway bar bushings?

Also ball joints were replaced under warranty 18K miles ago, saved me $380.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

New poster but a frequent reader. Got a 98 LS400, 98k miles CPO (cert pre-owned) under warranty for another 1700 miles. Originally bought car at another bay area lexus dealer but servicing at Stevens Creek since close to work/home.

2 sounds:

1) got a clicking sound when turning the steering wheel at low speeds (parking lots as an example).

2) going over speed bumps (slowly) clunking sound, suspecting sway bar bushings?

Also ball joints were replaced under warranty 18K miles ago, saved me $380.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Sounds a lot like strut bars.

• 1 month later...

Ok update on car: took car to Stevens Creek Lexus service dept. Tuesday morning (10/4) and had a tech ride along and then he drove it, he verified the noise complaint, got a toyota avalon for a loaner so no complaints. Today (Wed) the service advisor calls late in afternoon and says the warranty will need authorization on Thursday. Parts defective: both strut rods and bushings (cushions?). May not get car until Friday but as long as have avalon for transportation to/from work don't care that much. Glad they allow techs to ride with customers and none of the 'unable to duplicate/find noise' stuff. Thanks for help from the other posters. I find it unusual to have ball joints and the strut rods go out under 100K miles but can't wait to drive it after repairs are done. Thank goodness for CPO.

It's not all that unusual on these cars. Look at my repair list below, and I now have 107k miles on my 95. The strut rods started it all "clunk noise" but it didn't fix it...turned out to be upper control arm bushing. I know this click noise too, had it as well. Check your brake pads. If not them, my guess is outter tie rod ends. Mine were so smashed down and worn out, you couldn't even move the pivot anymore. But check the pads first, the inner pads may be getting close, not close enough to trigger the warning light though.

Ok update on car: took car to Stevens Creek Lexus service dept. Tuesday morning (10/4) and had a tech ride along and then he drove it, he verified the noise complaint, got a toyota avalon for a loaner so no complaints. Today (Wed) the service advisor calls late in afternoon and says the warranty will need authorization on Thursday. Parts defective: both strut rods and bushings (cushions?). May not get car until Friday but as long as have avalon for transportation to/from work don't care that much. Glad they allow techs to ride with customers and none of the 'unable to duplicate/find noise' stuff. Thanks for help from the other posters. I find it unusual to have ball joints and the strut rods go out under 100K miles but can't wait to drive it after repairs are done. Thank goodness for CPO.

This must have something to do with the color of our cars...ha. I have the same color 98 as you two guys do (I think it's the same; it's Cashmere Beige) and I took mine to the dealer yesterday for a couple of things that I can't fix and they said...you guessed it...strut bar bushings were worn! I looked at them and the rubber surface wasn't cracked, but it was somewhat deteriorated looking. Apparently they replace both strut bars. $650 + $99 alignment. So maybe we need to do a poll to see what color the most reliable model is :lol:

you guys gotta stay out of those dealerships, they're killing you on price! :o strut rods for a 98 LS can be had for only $90 a piece on line. It's 3 bolts to attach them too. They're #12 on the picture below. :cheers:

post-15797-1128609757_thumb.jpg

Ouch! That's a big difference! Thanks for the info. I could fly you out here, feed you lots of steak and good beer and have you do it cheaper than the dealer can!! I could have maybe waited and done the repair myself. Oh well. They did goodwill one other thing and the coffee is fabulous..ha. Thanks for your help, NC.

Dealer said strut rod and bushing (cushion) are both covered under warranty for the certified pre-owned, no cost to me and a loaner car as well :D

Edit: car won't be ready until Monday, special order parts on the strut rods and cushions and I get to keep loaner until then.

you guys gotta stay out of those dealerships, they're killing you on price! :o  strut rods for a 98 LS can be had for only $90 a piece on line. It's 3 bolts to attach them too.  They're #12 on the picture below.  :cheers:

Wow. Thanks for the info. Where did you purchase them. I had to have mine replaced for it to pass MD State Inspection last year. However, I noticed after driving long distances, I hear a squeaking noise as the car is rocking, or if you get out and push down on the front end back and forth. What in the world could that be? Heated rubber squeaking?

that is most likely your struts wearing out. I had a squeek too while moving slowly through parking lots. www.parts.com and drill down to lexus. you'll find a few good vendors.

you guys gotta stay out of those dealerships, they're killing you on price! :o  strut rods for a 98 LS can be had for only $90 a piece on line. It's 3 bolts to attach them too.  They're #12 on the picture below. :cheers:

Wow. Thanks for the info. Where did you purchase them. I had to have mine replaced for it to pass MD State Inspection last year. However, I noticed after driving long distances, I hear a squeaking noise as the car is rocking, or if you get out and push down on the front end back and forth. What in the world could that be? Heated rubber squeaking?

Ok finally got my LS400 back today, drove the loaner Avalon for a week and put 700 miles on it.

Dealer replaced (under CPO warranty) both strut bar assemblies, 48660-40021 RH and 48670-40011 LH, bushings included. $547.62 charged to Lexus but I'm sure if customer pay would have been (a lot) more. Rides and handles better, no noise when going over speed bumps at parking lot speeds. Thank goodness for warranties. I asked the technician at Lexus about the struts going bad before 100K but sounded like he felt whoever did the CPO inspection didn't do that thorough of a job and missed them.

• 2 weeks later...

HAHAHAA!!! NICE MAN!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers: Trust me, you'll be laughing your @#$ off when you see how much it could have cost you! Especially on those air struts! I'm assuming you've got air stuts sense you said they're leaking? That dealership is going to be ticked off at whoever issued that CPO. You got 18 miles left of coverage. Are you sure you don't feel some sort of shimmy, hesitation, ooohhhh, I got it, your valves are ticking!!!! Well done man, well done! :cheers:

are strut rods the same as sway bar bushings? on the latter, was told these come in a 'unit' (you can just buy the round thingeys separately). they cost 170 or so.

I have the same car , I also had the sme clunk over small bumps so I had the strut rods replaced. The car now drives and sound like a new one! I had 95000 when it was done

Goog Luck