I Think I've Figured It Out

nc211

Well..stop missing...cause I'm going nowhere in terms of this website! :cheers: I'll just become the black-sheep. hahaha. Man, the best part about this experience is this website, and you guys!! I'm not going ANYWHERE! I just need a different kind of wheels. My LS is sweet...DAMN SWEET, but just ready for the next NC211, the next Blake, SRK, Army, etc....to treat her right. I've brought her right to the front line...but not able to take her to the next level.

Trust me....I'll interview the buyer before I agree. No way will this car be sold to anyone who won't take care of her. She just needs a new set of rims. I'm going to take her to the dealership in the next few days and have her checked out, aligned, balanced, and cleaned up, them take her to the auto detailer "one of my borrowers" and have it super detailed!

PS: The wife's next car will probably be an IS300....so...I'm still in it! :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Courage is fear holding on one more Minute" General George S. Patten!!!

i agree, before you sell it, hang on to it a little while, and i will give you what you ask when i come back from Iraq. Thats in STONE.

Nc211,

Don't do it!!! Trust me, I've been there with my 1992 LS after it got hit. It took me two YEARS to get it right...That involved over 8 trips to the dealer, countless hours of frustration, greater than $4,000 in work, and a near lawsuit with the dealer. But in the end, it runs like a dream. Worth every penny I tell you!!! You remind me of the marathon runner who's in the lead and just has a mile to go! Don't quit now!

Think about it for a few days..I admit, I got just as frustrated as you, and even put my car up for sale two times. I'm glad I never actually sold it because I'd regret it for ever! People even offered me full sticker when I was selling it because of the condition of the car. If you feel up to it, order a set of used rims for Tap Auto Recycling, or just get some reputable tire shop to confirm your diagnosis. It's a real shame you've put so much energy into this car and someone else will get to enjoy the fruit of your efforts!

Just my two cents,

Sam

Well..stop missing...cause I'm going nowhere in terms of this website! :cheers: I'll just become the black-sheep. hahaha. Man, the best part about this experience is this website, and you guys!! I'm not going ANYWHERE! I just need a different kind of wheels. My LS is sweet...DAMN SWEET, but just ready for the next NC211, the next Blake, SRK, Army, etc....to treat her right. I've brought her right to the front line...but not able to take her to the next level.

Trust me....I'll interview the buyer before I agree. No way will this car be sold to anyone who won't take care of her. She just needs a new set of rims. I'm going to take her to the dealership in the next few days and have her checked out, aligned, balanced, and cleaned up, them take her to the auto detailer "one of my borrowers" and have it super detailed!

PS: The wife's next car will probably be an IS300....so...I'm still in it! :)

Hey Army and Sapper Daddy,

At the risk of going off topic (too late for that) I want to thank you for your service to our country! I'm an immigrant and owe this country everything. There is no way in hell I'd ever come this far without the USA! Thanks for putting your lives on the line so people like me can live the American Dream!

Thanks,

Sam

"Courage is fear holding on one more Minute" General George S. Patten!!!

i agree, before you sell it, hang on to it a little while, and i will give you what you ask when i come back from Iraq. Thats in STONE.

Alright guys...I slept on it, and I'll take you advice....one more time to the dealership and back into the hands of the senior tech...I'll go for one more round. I have been "warned" by the fiancee' to do nothing in regards to selling it until after the wedding and honeymoon, so it may be in May before I can sell it, if the dealership can't fix this damn thing correctly. I think it either needs to be "tuned in" or it's in the driveshaft.

Alright guys...I slept on it, and I'll take you advice....one more time to the dealership and back into the hands of the senior tech...I'll go for one more round. I have been "warned" by the fiancee' to do nothing in regards to selling it until after the wedding and honeymoon, so it may be in May before I can sell it, if the dealership can't fix this damn thing correctly. I think it either needs to be "tuned in" or it's in the driveshaft.

As to the rim thought - I'm wondering why a bent rim wouldn't show up in the balancing.

I just put a new set of rims on my car and had to take it back 2X to have the tires rebalanced. Even though they "showed" that they were balanced on the machine - in reality they were far from balanced. The rears started shaking @ 50 mph and as they quit vibrating @ 60 then the fronts started shaking. I was able to get it fixed though. I'd hate to see you get rid of the car, but if you can't get it right then you can't keep it.

Just one thought - will the vibration be evident on a test drive to the new purchaser?

My Sister-In-Law will be selling her Toyota Sequoia in late spring when she gets a company car. It's up here in Va Beach...

The dealership is going to take it Monday morning. They agree that the ride probably needs to be "tuned in" since the addition of the new tires, which means alignment and a very thurough balancing. yeah, you can feel it on a test drive, it feels like, in all honesty..the tires are out of balance. That's been the primary problem the whole time. Now the wrong rotors where a HUGE part of the problem. Infact, I think I posted up a few months ago while in one of my funk "screw this car" moods about having the "clunk" again. As it turns out...that too was the bad rotors banging against the wheel studs when going over a big dip in the road. That is fixed now too. The only problem with my car...is that gremlin little bast*rd vibration. Been chasing that punk for months now. If it's not the wheels, then it's got to be in the driveshaft itself. I just can't handle another $300+ kick in the pants repair bill.

Today is a beautiful day here, feels like spring time. I had the windows down at lunch, and I gotta tell you guys...I really don't want to get rid of this car, but I need my sanity back too. I think the technician will now have the ability to properly dial in the car since he'll be adjusting all new, oem parts. Nothing is worn out beyond spec. So we'll see what happens. I think he'll fix it right this time. I think SK and the others are right, I would probably be unhappy with my decision if I don't let the dealership have one more crack at it.

yeah word.....if it's a bent rim after all keep in mind there are repair sevices for that so you don't have to drop 1000, my buddies camaro SS had a bent one. made a littel shake at top speed, it cost 140 to have it fixed they can even fix cracked rims. just something to ponder in case you are dreading costs, also what about that driveshaft bushing, i've seen the OEMs pretty cheap. could that be causeing your driveline to be out of wack? just a thought, i'm sure you've already looked into it though. Have a good one...............ugh i gotta go back to New Orleans. Katrina!

You could always buy my set of rims if you really want a new set which will fit a 95 and up as i have 3 sets for my car

summer 20's

winter factory 98 LS 16's colour matched

all season factory LS 16's that i bought them with and would sell as i don;t realy need them

...and it continues....this thing is like herpes...just won't go away...

Apparently one of my new tires is sooo badly out of round that it needs to be replaced. So, tirerack is shipping out a new one directly to the dealership, should be there thursday or friday...

Now I know we're not supposed to give free advertising and such....but I've got to say this....

Johnson Lexus of Raleigh is by far the BEST dealership I have ever encountered in my entire life! If you want to buy a car, used or new and you're in my neck of the woods, or want to buy from them online...well....you'll have one hell of an awesome dealership standing behind you! I know this sounds corny, and I do apologize, but that dealership doesn't just sell cars, they sell pride, and they show it in their service center. Truely an amazing operation...Top Notch! I will be purchasing all of my cars from them from now on. I mean come on, I've got an 11 year old LS400....and yet I'm treated like I just purchased their most expensive model ever. The fact that they aren't raking me over the coals on fees just goes to show that they take pride in what they sell to the general public.

If I don't get out of this camry loaner car, I'm going to wreck my perfect driving record.....I've grown use to driving a big ole' haus cruiser. This Camry is so lite and peppy, I'm having a tough time keeping it within the legal limits......fun little car! The future Mrs. likes it too, which makes me smile, because she's been barking about wanting a PT Cruiser, of which I just can't wait to have to repair..let me tell ya'...don't let the enthusiasm fool you....i'm really looking forward to having a PT Cruiser.. :(

Might as well put one of those Garfield window toys in the window. My neighbor's riding lawnmower has more power than one of those. Guess it's about time to hand over my "Duke Boys"

still waiting for the new tire to arrive....she's sitting at the dealership, being used for high arial bombing raids for the birds....think I'll have chicken for lunch today.

well....it's the tires....ALL OF THEM! Do yourself a favor, don't listen to my posts about how happy I am with my continential premiurcontact tires......no more dealing with tirerack either, too much of a hassle with all of this shipping back and forth. Apparently when the Continentials warm up, that's when they start vibrating. Going with Michelin. I know I know.....let me have it guys....I'm ready for the "I told you so" treatment :blushing:

So, do we like the Michelin Symmetry GNX tires? Their SR rated at 115 mph, and good god, when on earth would I ever go that fast? I get freakin' scared at 81 mph to be honest. I can get them installed tomorrow for $107 a tire. They have a 460 tread count. The continentials on there now have a 600 tread count, which is too hard for the car I guess. I'm trying to keep my budget under $110 per tire.

well....it's the tires....ALL OF THEM! Do yourself a favor, don't listen to my posts about how happy I am with my continential premiurcontact tires......no more dealing with tirerack either, too much of a hassle with all of this shipping back and forth. Apparently when the Continentials warm up, that's when they start vibrating. Going with Michelin. I know I know.....let me have it guys....I'm ready for the "I told you so" treatment :blushing:

So, do we like the Michelin Symmetry GNX tires? Their SR rated at 115 mph, and good god, when on earth would I ever go that fast? I get freakin' scared at 81 mph to be honest. I can get them installed tomorrow for $107 a tire. They have a 460 tread count. The continentials on there now have a 600 tread count, which is too hard for the car I guess. I'm trying to keep my budget under $110 per tire.

nc, lets all hope that this is the emd of that particular road for ya'!?! Might i suggest,if your not into going terribly fast look into the goodyear comforttreads,ive been really happy with them, very comfortable,80,000 mile tires, and i believe goodyear needs these tires to succeed so they will make it worth your while to check them out. Gas mileage will decrease a bit until they wear in, but the tires have some sort of chemical in the side wall that makes it always look shiny black. $0.02.

nc:

well....it's the tires....ALL OF THEM!

Do us (me anyway) a favor & let us know your thoughts in about a week. Not trying to be funny...........but let it simmer for a little bit before saying with "absolute certainty".

I know I know.....let me have it guys....I'm ready for the "I told you so" treatment

No, no, not at all..........Your level of committment has just increased significantly..........This is a good thing.....

You weren't REALLY thinking of getting rid of it, now were you? You obviously hadn't thought it through nearly enough. Just think how comfortable that back seat will be when you and the "Mrs. to be" have a "little disagreement"........& also how comfortable it will be when the two of you "make up"..............

• 2 weeks later...

...there is a brand new IS250 sitting in my driveway as a loaner...hell of a FUN CAR!!

Michelin's are being installed, Continentals are being sent back.

Sorry thread, had to do it.

I can't figure out how to post a new topic but I have read ALL of this one and feel comfortable to reply as to I am having similiar problems. Also this seems like a really tight knit forum.

My girlfriend just purchased a 1990 LS 400 from my best friend who has owned numerous cars and just opened a salvage/dismantling yard. I'm getting tired of asking him questions, some of which he might/probably doesn't know, and bugging him as he has a lot to do and think about. I can get anything I need (OEM) free or cheap for a fix.

I'm having the following problems.

1)Trac off/Chk Eng Light comes on simultaneously. Usually it will start and run for about 30 seconds (drive or in park) then they come on. I've looked this up as with everything and this doesn't seem like a big deal; as it could be a couple of little fixes.

2)The clearance on the left side (front and rear) of the car is lower than the right. At least an inch difference! The car has 18" rims with low profile tires, I don't remember the exact size but I would guess 245/50/18.

3)We are having the "off accelerator-transmission kick down" problem you had mentioned. NC, you have a 1995 which I know is a branch from the original LS400 (1990-1994), could this be the same issue?

4)And finally as your topic describes there is a wobble that feels like a ghost is turning the wheel all of the sudden back and forth. There is no mention of this in this thread, but there is a computer for the power steering located on the firewall/drivers side/under dash that may be bad. I hope after reading all this, that is the problem.

Number two is the big one to me and my girlfriend as the rear left tire (driverside) is getting chewed up bad from the low clearance. It doesn't even take a slight bump to get the 'scrchhh' sound.

PS I'm from NC too! I went to school at state and a lot of my family still lives up there. If ya drink we'll take you and your fiancee out to Jillians to shoot some pool, or go to the Flying Saucer and drink whatever. DD included.

Thanks Joe

Wow, you read this entire thread? Good lord, and you're still breathing! I would have figured reading up about Tort Law would be more interesting...hahaha.

Question, does your girlfriend's LS have air suspension?

It sounds like you might have worn out outer tie rods in your steering system. It could also be time for a rack replacement, especially if you're steering bigger wheel with rubber that requires more power to control. But, to me, it sounds like you've got a few worn parts. I'd check out your outter tie rods, and your lower ball joints on the front before thinking it's computer related. I don't think I've ever heard of the steering computer going out, in that fashion.

Another possiblity is a dragging brake caliper piston. The piston will get dirty over the years, loose it's lubrication properties, and start to stick, which will hold the pad(s) against the rotor, which can create that tug of war feeling in the steering.

I've been banned from the Flying Saucer by the fiance...due to getting SauceD and quoting all the funny qoutes on the wall. Drove her nuts for like 6 hours. I'm more a Sawmill Tap Room kind of guy, kick back, watch some Bball and have a stogie.

Might end up in your neck of the woods this year though. Charlotte is the banking HQ of the southeast, and it's getting harder and harder to avoid that, when you're in the banking game.

PS: I'd keep that part about having access to free oem parts to yourself, or you'll inherit this entire forum as family, Dad. ;-)

Well guys...I think it's finally over....finally been cured. Just drove the car with the new Michelin MVX4 Plus tires on it....smoooooth as a baby's butt at all speeds. Those Continental tires were just too hard, and the technician said "I've never understood why a tire company can't make a round tire?" I should have just listened to you guys and gone with the Michelin's in the first place. Long story short, this tire mess cost me an extra $180. Gotta love that southern-stubborn attitude sometimes.

So anyway, I have no vibrations or wobbles to speak of now, at all speeds "5 - 95mph." Whew....god it's over.

time to move on to the engine. The suspension is complete.

You're not kidding!!! I was really get fed up with it! Now, well, glad I am someone who knows when talk, and when to listen....glad I didn't sell it.

Glad to hear it! I can only imagine the relief knowing that your constant headaches are going away.

• 5 months later...

I'm back......... :chairshot:

Well, after replacing the tires, and all the other crap involved over the past 200 pages of this thread, the wobble came back, but in a different manner. It was a very fast wobble, with a very low frequency hum. Long story short, as I have been saying all along in about a dozen other threads......The driveshaft is bad. It's not just the flexcouplings, but the whole damn thing, from the sleeve, to whatever else. So, the dealership cut me a deal "matched it to the online guys" for $680 for the whole entire shaft assemble, from flexcoupling to flexcoupling and all parts in between. This time there was no doubt it was the shaft. It was getting worse and worse too. I had to replace it, even if I wanted to sell the car, I couldn't hide it from a potential seller. Plus, it's not my style to screw over someone else like that.

When I asked my mechanic if this was a common replacement, he said "when they were covered under the warranty, yes, we've replaced quite a few. Outside of warranty? Nope, too expensive for most people." This is no doubt a problem that stemmed from the off-throttle shock syndrome my car had for many many years. So.....it looks like it is finally over.

He did tell me I have one of the nicestest 95-97 LS400's on the road. Should be, for all the new parts it has! Hahahaha.

Blake, I will post up if this fixed the lurching too. There should be no slack in the shaft now at all. So we'll see... Should get the car back next week.