Advice For Wannabe

lalaw

I am a prospective ES300 owner. Am looking at 2000 or 2001 CPO. Questions are:

any advice with CPO vs. regular PO vehicles?

how much extra for CPO?

what is a good price?

note: they look really nice!

what is a platinum edition?

several have black leather interior - any pros/cons?

any other things I should know about or other models I should be looking at?

thanks for the help and sorry if I missed any protocols as a newbie to this site

Silver is the best choice!.. Not just because i own a silver car.. A couple of reasons as i see it..

1: Your car can be modified to look sporty. But with silver, it will still have an elegance about it..

2: Silver is the easiest to keep clean, or not clean.. It hides dirt better than any color.. It's only when you wash it and it sparkles more that you realise it was dirty..

3: I find with this model (ES) that silver really eccentuates the lines of this vehicle beautifully. In saying this, I feel the pearl and silver look is more for the LS series, and the all round dark colors are for the GS series..

I am a little biased when talking about it I guess. But I searched hard and low for my car, and kept comming back to the silver every time..

Now there is a bad point!.. I hate the black interior.. I hate black interior for anything.. I love the lighter looking colors. I also like the 2 tone look on some of the dash areas of these cars (grey and bone color). Mine is all black... I will be having the whole interior re designed and re-leathered...

Other than that.. just enjoy your car, and take good care of it.. I do with mine!

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

post-7-1058136958.jpg

CPOs have usually been through some sort of check out by Lexus and have a better warranty from Lexus than a preowned from a non lexus dealer.

What warranty do you get? CPO 3yr/total 100k or do you get what is left on the original vehicle 4yr/50k miles + 7yr/70k powertrain?

If you get black leather.....it is hot in the summer when you first get in....if you are in shorts, don't get burned.

Just condition the leather with lexol every 6 months and it will stay soft and supple for years to come.

Silver did you say......look at the picture to your left. No further questions.

in the words of Nike....just do it.

steviej

now you know i have to put my 2 sense in this conversation.lol.i love BLACK!its the best color for the es for several reasons.it brings the car out and really makes it a eye catcher,its glossyer then any other color,but there are down sides like cleaning it and torching yourself when getting in it on a hot day.(beleave me i know)but silver is a nice color to hide dents and dings but not so much for eye catching looks.at least thats my opinion.lol.i had to take it to you silver owners!lol i love busting balls.

also i have room to talk with a WHITE gs 400.the most unshinest color of all.mine does shine though beleave it or not and looks pretty dame good too.i need rims for it and im in the hunt so if anyone sees any good ones let me know.

thanks for the words of advice - I appreciate it and keep it coming

the CPO warranty is 3 yrs/ 100 k total miles with 24 hour road assistance, loaners, etc.

some of the silver CPO's my dealer had include a 2001 with black interior and 23k miles, a 2000 platinum edition with black interior and 24k miles, and the one I drove, a 2000 with light grey interior and 48k miles.

they also had a 1995 with 96k miles which was about half or less the price

another question is about head room. I am 5-11 or 6-0 and noticed that I have about only 1 inch or 2 to spare. (I could "sense" the roof line but din't actually feel it. Any issues from you moderately tall ES owners?

also a question about the "moon roof" - does it open or it it there to just look good

if I don't get the ES300 I will probably end up with an Accord. Pretty blah??

thanks and great site!

if i was you i wouldnt get a accord.they suck and are the plainest looking car i ever seen.thats my opinion anyway.all the moonroofs open and tilt up why wouldnt they.i never heard of a moonroaf that is only there for show.just pick one of them es 300s and have fun!

There's no need to worry about the space in these fine machines. Try readjusting the seat height or something; there must be some sort of problem because I am 6 feet 3 inches and I have between 1.5 and 2 inches on top of my head. This is in a '94; however, I'd be willing to bet that there is more room in the '97-'01 models(they look a lot taller). To second bbsal don't get an accord; they are hideous, but that might be overlookable because of a 240 horse engine...nah!!! Get the Lexus even if you go with the '95; you won't regret it. Plus..you get to come and chat with us :D .

lalaw, go with the 2000 or the 2001. The light charcol grey interior (what I've got) will be cooler and will cool down faster with the AC than the black. The lighter color leathers will stand up a little better than darker colors, but than again, any leather will stand the test of time if it is cared for regularly and properly.

(I base this on my 2002) The moon roof, slides back into the roof completely, has a sun shade that moves with the moon roof or can be opened seprately to let light in while the roof is closed. The rear portion of the moon roof also tilts up to act as a major vent.

I am a bigger person, 5'9" and just over 200. The height wasn't a problem, it was the width of my shoulders. In the Accord and TL Type-S I was a little close the the person in the passenger seat. No so in the Lexus. This goes for the back seats too.

I say go with you gut feeling. Stick with the 2000 or the 2001 if you can afford it, that way you get some benefit out of the warranty.

steviej

Thanks for all the advice. This is a great site. I went back to the dealer today and am getting close on a 2000 silver ES300 with black leather interior platinum edition CPO with 24k miles and flawless appearance. So far the best I can get is $22.5k. I am taking the boss for a view and ride and will probably purchase tomorrow. Then I can be a an ex. wannabe. Thanks again for all the help.

good luck.also i could tell you from experence that black interier is awsome but does get hot.i get burned up like i sat in a oven when i get in mine but as for the seats and wear and tear i have to say the black will hold up better then the lighter colors for several reasons.it hides all the tiny little cracks and lines you see in the seat.also it hides the dirt!my freind has a 96 es 300 with tan interior and hes allways cleaning his seats and they still dont look half as good as my black ones.the light colors show all the cracks and dirt and you have to clean them forever.just somemore advice for you.go with what you really want the most.

I bought the 2000 CPO platinum edition silver with black interior with 24k miles yesterday. I left it with my better half today but hope to start driving it tomorrow. It's awesome. Thanks for the help.

One remaining question - I only got 1 remote key. Whats the best source and price for getting another?

Thanks again for everything.

Congrats on the new ES :D !!! Unfortunatley our local Lexus dealers have strong holds on us with the keys; I called my dealer yesterday(mine's getting a little old, and it doesn't always work right :wacko: ), and they gave me a price of $352 for a remote key for my 94'... I told them what they could do with the $352. They also told me that I could get just the plain master key for $54, but I want the remote key . I don't think we have much of a choice on all-in-one remote key alternatives :( . Enjoy the car, and be careful with whom you leave it with because I let my mom drive my car once, and I got it back with scratches on the bumper. Luckily they were just light surface scratches that I was able to clean off.

I think it's time you change the title of this topic...haha!!! You're no longer a "wannabe." I'm just glad you didn't go with an accord...Es's are way better anyways lol. :cheers:

go back to the dealership, find out in writing what keys the CPO's come with. They should be able to throw in at least the valet key and the flat wallet key at no charge.

Next call the cust. service line at 1-800-25-LEXUS. They are intent on satisfied customers. You should be able to get them.

A new Lex comes with two master remote keys, one valet key and one flat key (computer chipped for starting in the 02/03).

steviej

silver........totally awesome.

I now have a 2002 with 27k on it. :blink: