This Is How We Roll

Is it just me or does this SUV roll farther and faster than anything you have driven.

Do you coast to the freeway offramps saving those mpg while people behind you are wishing you would just go a little faster? Were u surprised the first time you coasted down a hill and your 400h picked up more speed than you were used to?

Am I the only rolling freak here? I hope not, tell us how u roll... .. .

I noticed this, too. I became so enchanted with coasting that I think I actually hurt my gas mileage because I hardly ever brake. Now I'm trying to brake some and the mileage goes up. It must be the electric motors working, not just rolling, because how do you explain it rolling at 70?

There's less friction in the CVT than in conventional gears. Also, larger vehicles carry more momentum, making it less likely to slow by rolling. Had trouble adjusting to this when I went from a 4200 lb. car to a 2900 lb. car.

There's less friction in the CVT than in conventional gears.  Also, larger vehicles carry more momentum, making it less likely to slow by rolling.  Had trouble adjusting to this when I went from a 4200 lb. car to a 2900 lb. car.

I agree, but isn't it closer to 4400 lbs? I'll bet a 6000-lb rolls fairly quickly, too. The key is to use its weight to your advantage and roll, roll, roll your boat....

I thought that the bulk of the explanation to the increased "rolling" or coasting was due to the lack of engine braking, not just the CVT.

But, yes. I consider this to be a huge benefit and feature of the 400h. It is also one of the things that makes this car unique in terms of how it is driven.

While I understand the benefits of rolling or coasting the 400H, I can't possibly think of a more boring way to drive.....

Coasting is only boring if you are not thinking ahead to see what you can do to maximize your mileage. Can you shift lanes to coast further? How long can you stay off the gas? Too long and you have to accelerate too hard and lose mileage and the guy behind you gets mad; too soon and you've wasted a good coast. Also try accelerating just enough to get to 58 mpg on consumption meter, while building up speed for further coasting.

Now I agree that coasting on highway is not as exciting as trying to beat your own personal best at the track, but for every day driving with other cars and cops around coasting can give give you a lot to think about if you are driving a hybrid w/ good electronic feedback and it keeps you alert to what is going on around you.