Just Got Lexus, Need Help On Few Things

I just bought my used 94 Lexus ES300. It has only 80,000 miles on it. I have a few things i need to ask and hopefully get answered. My odometer buttons do not work so it does not show the mileage. It just recently broke. Any Help? Plus My Lexus has an alarm system but i dont know how to use it. lol i press the button on my key to lock it and i dont know if it activates the alarm system. I would really appreciate the help guys.

-also i need a new lexus steering wheel pad assembly. The lexus dealer near me said it would be 850.00 for this minor part. Ridiculous!

Edited by 94LexusES

I just bought my used 94 Lexus ES300. It has only 80,000 miles on it. I have a few things i need to ask and hopefully get answered. My odometer buttons do not work so it does not show the mileage. It just recently broke. Any Help? Plus My Lexus has an alarm system but i dont know how to use it. lol i press the button on my key to lock it and i dont know if it activates the alarm system. I would really appreciate the help guys.

-also i need a new lexus steering wheel pad assembly. The lexus dealer near me said it would be 850.00 for this minor part. Ridiculous!

Your best bet is to search these forums first, Which is a great feature that is often overlooked. Learn how to use these boards as they are intended, It will amaze you the information that you can gather. HAPPY HUNTING ! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

The alarm is on a timer. Anytime the doors are locked, or lock themselves, the alarm arms immediately.

Hood latch, door locks & trunk are protected. A short while after arming if the doors are unlocked form the inside - it goes off.

Only way to turn it off is to take the key & turn the ignition ON, or wait it out. (Key can't stop it, at least mine never would) & lemmie tell ya... When a lexi alarm goes off, it wants everybody to know 'cause it doesn't go out for a long !Removed! time.

Anyway, that's how I've understood the alarm to work all the time. The glove box trunk switch turns off the driver's door trunk button.

There's a switch to turn the remote key on/off.

Anyone got anything else to add?

I would hit up some used place for the steeringwheel pad. I honestly can't think of anywhere they would have them for cheap.

If you don't have anything locally, TAP recycling has earned a good reputation in the greater Toyota community. (I should get paid by these people... I've repped them a bunch lately. How's about that 22rte for free we're still talking about! LoL!)

Thanks Toysrme about the alarm system. I understand it now. And actually since you mentioned it, my trunk button doesn't work. I press the button in the glove box to see if it changes anything but it doesn't. Some electrical things need to be fixed. I searched, couldn't find much.

Anyone have any suggestions about the odometer?

Thanks Toysrme about the alarm system. I understand it now. And actually since you mentioned it, my trunk button doesn't work. I press the button in the glove box to see if it changes anything but it doesn't. Some electrical things need to be fixed. I searched, couldn't find much.

Anyone have any suggestions about the odometer?

Do you have more details on how the odo broke? There is a ribbon connector that the display plugs into on the circuit board it has a clip on each side of the connector that must be snapped in place, That may be loose ? I have never seen a odo display just fry out all at once.

94lex your interior lighting probably doesn't work either then. Check the DOME fuse in the fusebox. That's where the trunk system get's it's power.

Toyota/Lexus is great. They use what? Maybe 30 fuses in the whole car & label them. (They combine a lot of things). The F150 outside has maybe 50 tiny fuses IN ONE BOX, & they're not labeled, just numbered.

Stupid domestics... & They wonder why everyone likes imports better LoL!

Ya what broke with the odo? Does it not have power, or did youa ctually feel the button break?

94lex your interior lighting probably doesn't work either then. Check the DOME fuse in the fusebox. That's where the trunk system get's it's power.

Toyota/Lexus is great. They use what? Maybe 30 fuses in the whole car & label them. (They combine a lot of things). The F150 outside has maybe 50 tiny fuses IN ONE BOX, & they're not labeled, just numbered.

Stupid domestics... & They wonder why everyone likes imports better LoL!

Ya what broke with the odo? Does it not have power, or did youa ctually feel the button break?

Does the ODO light up? Or is it that the A,B,Trip switch does not work?

Welcome to the club & nice ride! B)

Do you have the owners manual for the car? :unsure: This will explain the workings in detail of the alarm system & you might be able to customize the settings such as the 'chirp' when it's activated. ;)

About the odo....what dcfish said in his most recent post.

The steering wheel pad assemply.......have a look at e-bay, auto wreckers or salvage yards & save $$$. B) Enjoy your 'new' ES! ;)

:cheers:

Thanks for the inquiry guys. The odometer does light up. it just says Trip B. and then to the right is the amount of miles i have traveled since it broke.(64.1) I press the odometer button switch but nothing happens. My interior lighting does work.

Ill check the DOME fuse guys. Get back to me! Thanks once again for all your input.

Thanks for the inquiry guys. The odometer does light up. it just says Trip B. and then to the right is the amount of miles i have traveled since it broke.(64.1) I press the odometer button switch but nothing happens. My interior lighting does work.

Ill check the DOME fuse guys. Get back to me! Thanks once again for all your input.

I hope it is a fuse , But I think it is the switch or the connector for the switch. It plugs in to your cluster . You will have to pull the cluster out and you will see the wires and connector for the trip switch, It is the first of four connectors for the cluster. There are two screws that hold the cluster trim in place they are located on the top inside of the trim, Take off the screw covers remove the screws and this will expose wire connector for the ODO switch. Check it out and let us know what you find. ;)

i checked the dome fuse for the trunk button, it didnt look blown out, but im going to replace it anyway.

as for the odometer i will go ahead and do what you said dcfish, its worth a shot.

thanks

In the attached pic [ circled in yellow ] are the ODO connector and the display mounting screws. If you have to go that far into the cluster. I hope this helps.

post-1634-1124560107_thumb.jpg

Im only 17 years old so im not exactly a professional, ill give it a shot though. I can't do it now because i will be busy for the rest of the day but tomorrow will be the day things get done. Ill let you guys know. thanks for the help

If you catch me on AIM, I'll send you the 1994 Camry repair manual.

All the major systems are identical. A lot of the sub-systems have minor changes, some are completely different, but normally similar enough to figure things out.

Like the dash & cluster is different, but you get to see the ins & outs of taking stuff out & the general idea on how they work).

The radio is different, but most of the important wiring for it is the same.

Stuff like that.

Ok i got the odometer to work, and before it broke it was at 89,000 and now that it works again its at 183. if i got ripped off there will be some serious hell to pay. im alittle furious right now. ill get back to you guys later.

94Lexus... Sorry to say this but it should matter !

Don't take their word for anything. It sounds to me that this "mechanic" and "dealer" knew enough to disconnect the odometer to hide the mileage. Make sure you are paying for a 183,000 mile car and not a 89,000 mile car. I would even run a CarFax on it to see if there are no other hidden stories.

Your 17years old and this may be one of your first lessons in the real word. Trust no one. Don't be scared to confront them, have your dad or someone else help you if needed. Don't be scared of fighting the good fight.

JMHO

Later, George

he wasn't a dealer i bought it from the mechanics wife, he hid the mileage but its a great running car since he took care of it since it was his wife's. i did a carfax on it before i bought it and it said nothing was wrong, but the mileage was last reported in 2000 with around 77,000, i thought this was a little blah but i thought nothing of it really. i've already confronted this guy but he hasn't called back hes obviously avoiding me, and i have emailed consumer reports to see if i can get a case out of this since its violating my buying rights. I thank you for your advice geo, but i've already done these things even though i am 17 years old doesnt mean im not intelligent, i dont want to come off as rude or anything but i'm just saying.

Thanks

Have you contacted the registry of motor vehicles in your state?

They may want a word with him. If anything, only to protect you.

I believe reporting false mileage is a federal offence, at least it is a state offense.

Do you have a friend that is a lawyer, or have a family friend that is a lawyer. Ask some questions, you may have money due back to you because he sold you the car under false pretenses. If may only take a letter on legal stationary to get him to call you back. You are under 18 so it may take a parent or guardian to help you on this one.

good luck and persue it. You bought 89k but got 183k. go to www.kbb.com and run the numbers on your car varying only the mileage and see what a worthy price is and should have been in you area.

steviej

I agree with the others. Mechanic or not - that is an extra 100K on the odometer which is a hell of a lot more wear and tear on the engine and other mechanicals on the car. The car may run great now, but you can only expect so much life out of an engine. You bought it at 83K thinking that you could put possibly another 100K on it only to find out that it was already on the car.

If the guy is a mechanic and it was his wife's car then he should know how many miles she was putting on it each year - after all he should have been changing the oil every 3000 miles. I've been inside the cluster on an ES enough times to know that the odometer doesn't just get disconnected. As Stevie J mentioned - it sounds like he did it intentionally.

You were scammed and should definitely do something about it. I don't care if you're 17 or 57, (your age has nothing to do with it as you mentioned) , don't be afraid to confront this guy about his lie or he'll keep doing it to other people. You should go to him and ask for your money back. If he balks then tell him you'll stop by the DMV to report his odometer fraud on the way to your attorney's office.

Here's the kicker though - Did he sign the title over indicating that it was actual miles or with an ODO discrepancy/ unknown mileage? Unfortunately that will probably be your leg to stand on legally.