Rx 400h Air Conditioner

We have owned our 400h for 1 month with no complaints. Except, we noticed that the air conditioning was only blowing cold air on the passenger side of the vehicle. When I took it to the service department they informed me (a couple of days later) that there was a manufactoring defect on the hoses for the AC. This defect allows for the AC to be blocked on the drivers side.

The service rep informed me that this has happened on at least 4 other vehicles thus far and the part has to come from Japan, which could take up to 2 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I ahve a loaner but feel kind of jipped b/c I am still making payments on the out of service vehicle. Any suggestions?

We have owned our 400h for 1 month with no complaints. Except, we noticed that the air conditioning was only blowing cold air on the passenger side of the vehicle.  When I took it to the service department they informed me (a couple of days later) that there was a manufactoring defect on the hoses for the AC.  This defect allows for the AC to be blocked on the drivers side.

The service rep informed me that this has happened on at least 4 other vehicles thus far and the part has to come from Japan, which could take up to 2 weeks.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I ahve a loaner but feel kind of jipped b/c I am still making payments on the out of service vehicle.  Any suggestions?

9 weeks here and 6500 miles-no problems whatsoever. We even have chrome lexus wheels that the scammers at the dealership put on-but no mechanical problems. we LOVE the car.

Welcome to the "2-week Club". That's how long we had to wait for a bumper cover to arrive from Japan. My advice is to drive your RX until the part comes in. Sitting there at the dealership does it more harm than good. The oils and coolants need to be cirulated and the batteries, charged-up.

If I had known in the beginning that there was a two week wait, I'd have never left our RX at the collision center.

Regarding air conditioning, I believe ours is working the way it should.

I have owned my RX400h since May and took it in yesterday because my air conditioner was blowing warmer air.

They were aware of the problem and going to have it approx. 2 weeks because part comes from Japan.

Normally they give me a Enterpise car rental but they told me since I am being inconvenienced, they gave me ES 330.

I had the same problem. Dealer said it had a cracked evaporator and Freon had leaked out. Part took 1 week to get but got RX 330 loaner.

Instrument panel pod needed to be replaced. Part took 10 days to get. Again gave me RX 330 loaner.

As an aside, after first 500 miles, the next 1000 miles, 90% city, 26.1 mpg. After additional 500 miles, almost all hwy (which at 70+ mpg got about 25 mpg), for the next 500+ miles, all city, we are getting 29.4 mpg.

The 29.4 mpg is without ac on, and not trying to beat everyone off the line at the stop light.

My mileage improved when I tried something new. I accelerated normally from light to approximately 20 - 25 mph which includes initial no engine, and then engine/electric or just engine coming on. I then lift off pedal and electric only comes on and I can cruise at 30 - 40 mph electric only.

Because of the CVT and smoothness of engine/electric transition, no one notices me lifting off on getting back on accelerator.

Just got my 5000 mile service yesterday. No problems. Had my car since May 1 and my AC is only all the time (90 F in May, 100 F in June, 110 F in July, 100-105 F in August), so far, AC works perfectly. MPG is excellent for running the AC all the time - 27.5 mpg (mixed 70 % city).

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my 10,000 mile service on my 400h, and it had begun having the same driver's side A/C blowing warm air problem described above. My car also was diagnosed with the cracked A/C condenser, and had the repair described above under warranty. Interestingly, my service advisor told me there was a second 400h brought into the shop on her team TODAY with the same problem. Clearly an A/C supplier problem for Lexus.

The service was great, and I was given a Lexus ES330 loaner for the day. I'm happy.

• 1 year later...

I have had my 400h in the shop two times for over a week each time due to a "rock" hitting the air conditioning condenser. I bring it home directly yesterday and see another "spot" that looked like the first puncture.

Anyone have an idea of how to put a grill there to protect this sensitive area?

I'm documenting this "spot" incase I'm back again.

how do you know if your car has a problem with the A/C? Mine seems to be blowing cold on the drivers side, but of course I don't test the passenger side, maybe I should check. I do notice that it seems to be blowing colder air out of the side vent then the middle vents.

I have had my 400h in the shop two times for over a week each time due to a "rock" hitting the air conditioning condenser. I bring it home directly yesterday and see another "spot" that looked like the first puncture.

Any way you could get a picture of this area. I would like to see some aftermarket guard/grill/plate to protect the undercarrage as well. There are a lot of sensetive equipment under there that Lexus thoughy only needed a plastice cover or as with the AC system, nothing at all...

This seems unwise.

• 2 weeks later...

how do you know if your car has a problem with the A/C? Mine seems to be blowing cold on the drivers side, but of course I don't test the passenger side, maybe I should check. I do notice that it seems to be blowing colder air out of the side vent then the middle vents.

Seems pretty simple ... right? One need mearly reach over and feel the passenger side (or rear passenger's compartment) air ducts. or did I miss something.

• 5 months later...

Did they cover the a/c condenser under warranty? I have the same problema nd the dealership says its not covered under warranty?

Anybody know if this lack of a shroud or protection for the condensor has been corrected in the 2007 model?

Anybody know if this lack of a shroud or protection for the condensor has been corrected in the 2007 model?

I'm curious too. Anybody have somebody they could ask?

My guess is that my salesperson will tell me what he thinks I want to hear .

I ahve a loaner but feel kind of jipped b/c I am still making payments on the out of service vehicle. Any suggestions?

When our Audi A6 was new, we had it in for repairs for about 20 days out of the first month. We had a loaner, but like you said, when you have a new car, you want to drive it. We called the Sales Manager and complained that they had the car more than we had it. He agreed to pay the first month's lease. Lexus is supposed to offer exceptional customer service, so you may want to at least try for 1/2 month's payment.

It seems to me that a rock would have a hard time hitting the condenser (because the radiator for the inverter is in front of the condenser).

Usually one side blowing warm is generally a sign of a car being "undercharged". Some cars do come from the factory like this, (not on purpose), and yes it may also be caused by a leak.

• 2 months later...

Yes they covered it and both times said "that was it." One time at under a month old and under 1000 miles. The other time they did it but said it wasn't covered...but didn't charge.

My condenser which sits IN FRONT of the radiator is dented by rocks again but works well.

Anyone know if they reworked this under grill problem?

We have owned our 400h for 1 month with no complaints. Except, we noticed that the air conditioning was only blowing cold air on the passenger side of the vehicle. When I took it to the service department they informed me (a couple of days later) that there was a manufactoring defect on the hoses for the AC. This defect allows for the AC to be blocked on the drivers side.

The service rep informed me that this has happened on at least 4 other vehicles thus far and the part has to come from Japan, which could take up to 2 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Our dealer has been pretty liberal with the loaner program. On a hot spell, they'd be more than willing to give one up to us, just so we could keep cool. Our only AC issue has been the moldy smell that comes way too often. Just ordered some aerosol from the UK that's really supposed to wipe it out for up to 6 months. Will be reporting its failure / success when we put it to the test.

Our dealer has been pretty liberal with the loaner program. On a hot spell, they'd be more than willing to give one up to us, just so we could keep cool. Our only AC issue has been the moldy smell that comes way too often. Just ordered some aerosol from the UK that's really supposed to wipe it out for up to 6 months. Will be reporting its failure / success when we put it to the test.

My service rep told me to open the recirculating air flow (button on the dash) to remove the moldy smell. It worked for me.

This is in Southern California

My service rep told me to open the recirculating air flow (button on the dash) to remove the moldy smell. It worked for me.

This is in Southern California

Yea, that's what several have said in other threads. What's dumb is that it's a universal issue, with many of their models. The dealer acknowledges the problem. The manufacturer acknowledges the problem. Yet year after year they say the same dumb thing. "You" have to deal with it by doing such and such. "You" work around it? "You" deal with it? That's what got GM into trouble ... forcing their loyal customers into the "You" deal with it scenerio, with too many "issues". Errr, maybe folks who spend over $50K on a car expect more than stinky air out of their AC, than having to hear, "You" deal with it?

Ok, off my soapbox now.

:P

I may have said this before but go to airsept.com and read up on their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer.

With all the things that must be STUFFED under the dash these days, ML stereo, GPS/nav, CD changer, passenger airbag, etc, along with the HVAC system the HVAC plenum and heat exchanging components HAD to get smaller. The funny thing is that in this case smaller mean more efficient heat transfer operation. But small also means water retention capability as in SPONGE.

Along with all this has been a continuing effort to improve FE. That has resulted in a "TIGHT SHIP" insofar as inadvertent airflow leakage from, out of, the passenger cabin. The idea is that once the cabin atmosphere has been "conditioned" keep it within that cabin as long as possible.

And it certinly hasn't helped that the US patent granted to NipponDenso, Denso US, sort of REQUIRES certain aspects of the HVAC system to comform to specific design aspects defined in the patent.

For some of us there are several c-best options that will, can. help.

But basically you might find a way to disable the stupid A/C cooling system when it is not necessary for its use.

My early solution back in about '93, was to leave the windows down each and every night as my LS sat in the garage.

That procedure helps tremendously to lower the propensity for windshield fogging and most certainly helps to reduce the growth rate of the microbes that result in those horrible smelling "leavings".