Suffering From Poor Mileage

91L3xus

OK, I posted a long time ago about this, but got 76 views and no responses. My ES250 gets terrible gas mileage. When I run my car to E, even till the orange gas light goes on, I put a maximum of 12 gallons in the tank. Yes, I realize that it is a small tank and there's nothing I can do about that.

After numerous logging of averages on how many miles I get on one tank, I get about 200-210 miles on one fill up. This averages about 15-15.5 MPG combined; 50% urban and 50% highway driving. I followed Toysrme's intsructions on how to lean the fuel, in hope of getting better mileage, performance, or both. This has had no affect on the amount of fuel used, because it had become apparent before I did this modification to my engine that I was suffering from poor gas mileage.

Yes, it's 14 years old, and not gifted with the greatest of technologies, but 15 MPG from a V6? And the car only weighs 2900 pounds? Something is not right. Sometimes I drive aggressively, but after paying $30 for a fill up today, I've decided I will do that no more. This is rediculous, because at this rate, the money I have saved from my job will be soley used to get from A to B. I've tried 2 different methods of cleaning out the engine, including a bottle of Seafoam through the PCV, and a bottle of engine restorer in a few tanks of gas. Neither have had much of an affect, which worries me. The next step for me is to buy the Chilton's manual, and see where I can clean out carbon buildup, which I have read about alot here.

Does anyone know what I can do to help improve my mileage? The engine has only 130,000 miles, and was completely overhauled professionally at 128,000. I'm thinking changing the spark plugs, and maybe a new type of air filter could increase my mileage.

Any suggestions or remedies would be great.

The proper way is to rephrase your question not make a new thread.

Since either the title did not make sense to the ones who read it or no one knew an answer.

Please keep your original thread not make a new one.