Hybrid Calculator

Hey guys,

I was tired of doing the math on hybrid savings so I created a little web application to do it for me. If you guys want to take a look and see how long it takes to make up the difference between a standard "gas" car and a hybrid, you can just plug it in and it will give you all the goods. Enjoy and ignore my spelling / grammar errors! :)

http://www.mcquade.ws/hybridcalc/index.asp

DJ

2001 RX-300

Hey guys,

I was tired of doing the math on hybrid savings so I created a little web application to do it for me.  If you guys want to take a look and see how long it takes to make up the difference between a standard "gas" car and a hybrid, you can just plug it in and it will give you all the goods.  Enjoy and ignore my spelling / grammar errors! :)

http://www.mcquade.ws/hybridcalc/index.asp

DJ

2001 RX-300

What cost per galllon did you use? Looks like $2.00, try with the current gas prices in the Northeast it's closer to $3.00

And it will change per month and year, of course it will only go up.

Thanks for your work

You can specify how much gasoline currently costs. I think right now it defaults to $2.35. Also, after you submit the form it will create a table that shows a 10 year forecast with a 10% increase in fuel prices every year.

You might need to scroll down after you submit the form.

DJ

Very nice! Does your payback calculations assume a 10% per year rise in fuel costs or is the chart not connected to the payback time calc?

Another thing that is not mentioned is the increase in horsepower and especially, torque when referring to the Highlander and RX400h. Consumers typically will pay thousands of dollars to get a significant jump in power. Perhaps a "Luxury SUV" chart that adds a few $ to the non-hybrid vehicle cost would be beneficial. :cheers:

Excellent calculator, I gotta ask, are you a programmer? I thought I am the only one here who works in the computer field as everyone else looks to be a Doctor of some sort :P

LOL - I know exactly what you mean! :) I'm a technical consultant so I spend about 50% of the time programming Oracle (PL/SQL) and 50% on business processes. Unfortunately, my job is in telecom and it's VERY specialized, so I started learning ASP and VB.NET in the event I find myself without a paycheck. Someday I'm actually planning to start some kind of business with this knowledge, but it's hard to make money in software these days.

What do you do?

DJ

Excellent calculator, I gotta ask, are you a programmer? I thought I am the only one here who works in the computer field as everyone else looks to be a Doctor of some sort :P

LOL - I know exactly what you mean! :) I'm a technical consultant so I spend about 50% of the time programming Oracle (PL/SQL) and 50% on business processes. Unfortunately, my job is in telecom and it's VERY specialized, so I started learning ASP and VB.NET in the event I find myself without a paycheck. Someday I'm actually planning to start some kind of business with this knowledge, but it's hard to make money in software these days.

What do you do?

DJ

Well, I am a network administrator for a school ;) MCSE win2003 and CCNA. Programming is not my best, but I can do oracle. Glad we have some other non doctors in here! :cheers:

Patt and I are certainly not doctors. We are engineers who are facinated by high-tech stuff. It is certainly beneficial to see thoughts from people of many professions.