Extended Warranty

In April of '99 I bought a new '99 Coach edition ES300. I'm now at 60K, and past much of the warranty period. However, is an Extended Warranty available and, if so, is it worth it? I do most of my own maintenance, e.g. Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic every 5K since new. I will be changing plugs long before the 90K recommendation, etc. I've replaced the struts and flushed the cooling system. Not looking forward to the timing belt, etc. Thanks.

In April of '99 I bought a new '99 Coach edition ES300. I'm now at 60K, and past much of the warranty period. However, is an Extended Warranty available and, if so, is it worth it? I do most of my own maintenance, e.g. Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic every 5K since new. I will be changing plugs long before the 90K recommendation, etc. I've replaced the struts and flushed the cooling system. Not looking forward to the timing belt, etc. Thanks.

I do not think it is/was worth it when I got my 98. I hate when the sales people push it. I then always say, “Is the car that bad I need it”.

I don't think it's worth it.

The drivetrain is a tank.

Just make sure you stay on top of any maintinance. That includes flushing the transmission fluid out on time & cleaning the misc. intake items that get clogged with carbon from EGR.

I concur with both comments. I purchased a CPO 01 ES & did purchase a 'Lexus' extended warranty. It expires in Jan of 06 & so far I have never had to use it so I am beginning to wish I didn't spend the cash on that......but there is 6 months still outstanding so we shall see...... :whistles:

:cheers:

Hello,

Every new car I bought I purchased an extended warranty. The advantage is when you buy you can negotiate the extended warranty price. I always end up paying 600-700 dollars(7 years-100,000). It's always good to know that if something happens, you have it and you don't worry about what's wrong with your car. In my Jetta they changed so many things before they found the actual problem. If I didn't have my warrany it would have costed me tons of money, but because I had my warranty it covered it with 50 dollar deductable. In the long run it is better because you never have to worry what could be wrong. How much they are asking for your extended warranty ?

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Every new car I bought I purchased an extended warranty. The advantage is when you buy you can negotiate the extended warranty price. I always end up paying 600-700 dollars(7 years-100,000). It's always good to know that if something happens, you have it and you don't worry about what's wrong with your car. In my Jetta they changed so many things before they found the actual problem. If I didn't have my warrany it would have costed me tons of money, but because I had my warranty it covered it with 50 dollar deductable. In the long run it is better because you never have to worry what could be wrong. How much they are asking for your extended warranty ?

Hope this helps.

Thanks all. I suspect it isn't worth it. I have an '03 Passat W8 I also bought new, and will get one for that; I've seen engine quotes of $18K - $30K just for a new W8 engine. Thanks again.

if you don't mind "How much they are asking for your extended

warranty ?"

Thanks

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. I haven't shopped around for a Lexus extended warranty. I expect it would be comparable to others; in the $1,400 range to bring it to a full 100K. I am getting it for my W8 because, even to change oxygen sensors the engine must be pulled.

Years ago I had a Mercedes S Class sedan. Every time I pulled into the service bay the service rep ran to the phone to call his broker. I carefully examined the owner's manual and concluded that if I followed that maintenance schedule with a Yugo I would still be driving it today. Still, I'mm a stickler for maintenance, and more often than not I replace things early.

if you don't mind "How much they are asking for your extended

warranty ?"

Thanks

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. I haven't shopped around for a Lexus extended warranty. I expect it would be comparable to others; in the $1,400 range to bring it to a full 100K. I am getting it for my W8 because, even to change oxygen sensors the engine must be pulled.

Ouch! :blink: Fairly common repairs like that & have the engine pulled would drive me to drink. I understand some cars are difficult to get to, but WOW! O know some older GM products are like that too for a simple tune up. I don't understand some of the car companies methods for designing cars.....they should be easier to fix, maintain & repair today than 'in the old days' imo. :rolleyes::ph34r:

:cheers:

Extended warranties are a laugh riot! When we bought our '96 ES, we had the salesman say all the usual stuff ... Lexus = Toyota quality, cars in mint condition, yada yada. Then, when we start talking turkey ... out comes the extended warranty sales pitch, to handle any future problems. Sorry, but I'm buying Toyota/Lexus for a reason. I'll pay the extra as opposed to saving on a (shudders) domestic and crossing my fingers.

Point is, like all cars, wear and tear items will need to be replaced like all cars (though stuff like brakes last forever on Toyotas as opposed to GM, for ex), but it is doubtful something big and nasty is gonnna bite you on your a$$ (unless you are one of those people who are perpetually jinxed, in which case you probably should have a good life insurance policy, too :whistles:). In the end, its a gamble, do you think the repairs you will encounter (that the policy will cover -- Very Important!) will be more than the $1 000+ you are going to pay for it? Unless you quantify the "Peace of Mind" factor ...

Granted, every used car is different, but all else being equal, and painting in very wide strokes ... get an extended warranty on British cars (Land Rovers ... yikes) and forget it with Japanese ones.

my 2 cents (Cdn) -- worth a lot less with in US funds :D

I don't think it's worth it.

The drivetrain is a tank.

Just make sure you stay on top of any maintinance. That includes flushing the transmission fluid out on time & cleaning the misc. intake items that get clogged with carbon from EGR.

drive train a tank??? i killed(huge hole of cold water on hot tranny, i guess) my first tranny at 70000 miles,( and now my second one at 135000 doesnt like to go into reverse.........u put it in "R" u feel it kick in, u go to give it gas it revs the pops into gear........

other than that yeahit is strong :)