Air Rushing When Adding Gas

dole2000

when I remove my cas cap to refuel my car makes a loud hissing or sucking noise like there is a vapor lock or something and the air pressure builds up and is only released when I remove the cap. It has gotten fairly dramtic. I think this is a bad omen as I need to get my car smogged in CA and this means something isn't right.

Bob

It is completely normal. Modern filler caps seal tight to the filler neck, and the engine manifold vacuum partially evacuates the tank to prevent HC vapour loss to the atmosphere. If the cap fails to achieve a seal, the PCM will normally set a code to indicate air entering the tank and the inability to achieve the partial vacuum. It is a part of the evaporative emission system.

You may have a bad vapor cannister. Pressure got so high in mine that it pushed the wall of the gas tank out and caused a leak. Some hissing is normal, but if it feels like the cap is going to "blow off" when you unscrew it, then you probably have the same problem i had.

In the 91 there is no check for loose gas cap as there is in newer LS's - leaving the cap off will not set the check engine light in the 91. You can try leaving the cap not fully sealed (don't let it click when turning) until you can have it checked out. Might also want to remove the cover in the trunk and look at the gas tank to see if it has "bumped out" anywhere. Mine looked like someone had taken a hammer and hit it from the inside of the tank.

Don't worry some questions are not that easy.

I have no clue where my charcoal canister is ,but i have only had my LS for a couple of weeks and still have not done an oil change to take a good look in the nooks and crannies yet.

It is located on the driver's side of the engine. It has 2 tubes going in the top and one coming out the bottom. There is a line that runs from the top of the engine to the charcoal cannister. The manual shows a procedure for testing that involves blowing compressed air through the cannister to check for blockage. An independant Lexus mechanic diagnosed mine so i haven't done the procedure myself. If the symptoms sound similar to what i described, i would strongly suggest you inspect the gas tank for "bulges".

My 95 does this too, but primarily when the tank is below a quarter of a tank. You take the cap off, and it sucks in air, to balance out the pressure. I've had several other cars that did this as well "subaru outback, nissan sentra se-r and nissan maxima". I've never thought twice about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Try buying a new fuel cap gasket. You're supposed to replace it every once in a while. It has a notch in it...maybe that helps relieve pressure. Anyway, I replaced my gasket a while ago and on the next fill up there wasn't nearly as much of a pressure build up.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the smell of the gas, so I will keep my old cap!

AHHHH today my car will sit in Airport parking for 4 days. STINKS!

Last time it was so dirty!! I have been using the polishes, waxes and glazes and the LEX looks awesome! Everyone now thinks it is a 2001. :) Yeah I am moving up daily!

Cheers to you and LEXUS

I thought they do not have gaskets to relive pressure anymore only valves so you don;t add gas vapour to the atmosphere unnecessarily

Well, my 1st gen does have a gasket ;). Maybe the 2nd and 3rd gens don't...haven't checked.