Ask The Lexus Expert

Do you have questions about the all-new Lexus IS 250 and IS 350? Here’s your opportunity to ask Lexus' Chief Engineer, Suguya Fukusato, about the design, development and engineering he oversaw for the redesigned IS.

Check back every Tuesday for answers to your questions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/defaul...&referrer=my.IS

Hello everyone,

Are you ready for the Ask Lexus forum?  Please come on in and ask away!  To give you a quick glance, The IS will be arriving this fall, completely redesigned and available in two models, the 2006 IS 350 and the IS 250.  The top-of-the-line IS 350 boasts a 3.5-liter V6 engine that generates 306 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. The IS 250 has an energetic 2.5-liter engine that packs 204 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque.

You may want to know more about the engine's race-inspired push-button start. Or its newly designed fuel-injection system and dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).  Or perhaps its available voice-activated DVD navigation system.

That’s why we’ve created this forum. It’s your opportunity to post questions directly to me, Suguya Fukusato.  I am the Chief Engineer responsible for all aspects of overseeing the design, development and engineering planning of both the IS 350 and the IS 250.

So here's your opportunity to post your questions and don't forget to tell your buddies to come post theirs so we can get the answers everyone is seeking!

- Lexus Expert

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=66963

• 4 months later...

I just got the 06 IS 250 AWD with navi. Here are my questions.

The marketing materials all show IPods all over the place. When i got the car it has an 1/8" jack for mp3 players...

1. I get a very high-pitched squeal when connecting the ipod.

2. the car did NOT come with an 1/8" wire which i had to purchase.

To solve this squeal, i got a ground loop isolator from radio shack.

when i add a ground loop isolator ($20 radio shack) the noise goes away.

So was this tested by lexus? Why does this happen.

Why weren't the plugs (120v + 1/8" jack) angled so we could close the glove compartment if something's plugged in. Currently when i have a charger connected to the ipod, the center console glove box has to remain open, and very uncomfortably open (angled).

2. i get a disclaimmer EVERY time i start the car. Even in our litigious society, wouldn't a sticker on the car have been enough? or one time where you ahve to type in your name or something! Is there any way around this.

Of the above issues i'm more annoyed about the ipod and the mess of wires i now have in my car.

3. there's a big bump in the driver's side around by the accelerator... uncomfortable for the driver.

Believe it or not, other than that i love the car. Just these inconveniences that detract from the overall experieince. If there's anyone who knows how to resolve any of the resolvable issues, i'd love to NOT have to have a ground loop isolater and the wires attached to it, to listen to the ipod, it'd be great to be able to close the glove box.

And for anyone who has an ipod / mp3player that squeals... $20 for an isolator at radio shack + 5 for femail rca->mail 1/8" jack adapter... will messily solve the problem.

One more thing :) the voice commands for the navi. When it speaks to you, it says the instruction twice and then there's a delay before you speak the command. Is there a way that it will only ask you once, and just beep? or eliminate the prompts all together?

I would like to know why Lexus didnt just include something for the ipods, they all have the same jack on the bottom for the most part or the 3.5 mm jack on all of them. I also would like to know what the sport tuned mufflers are going to sound like. I know they will not be available until spring, but I would still like to know, maybe like the G35 coupe, or what other car. How loud will it be, noticable in the cabin, or barely audible and will they inprove performance any. I doubt it, but maybe they will decrease the back pressure some. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be picking up our IS350 with the following Z1, LT, LR packages. With the Mark Levinson Sound package we wanted to add XM. I am having difficulty pinning down Lexus about how we do this, how much it costs for the receiver, and when exactly will it be available. Does anyone know who manufacturers the receiver for the Mark Levinson? This is crazy, but in the middle of typing my message, I got a call from the salesman at Lexus. He just informed us that the VIN we just paid for is in the wrong color. Now we have to start over from scratch. He has no clue when we will even see our car. :angry:

Can someone explain what the point of posting questions here if no one responds?

This thread originally linked to a pre-launch forum where one could ask questions about the then upcoming new IS Models. That site no longer exists.

You might do better to start a thread to ask your question and it would get more attention. However, not many here own the new IS and it's new enough that we don't know much about modifying the NAV. Possibly your dealer can change that "yes" thing on your nav. Otherwise may have to wait until one discovers ways to get around some of those functions.

Other places you might look for info are:

http://www.clublexus.com

http://my.is/