Headlight

Need some help with a head light problem.....water gets inside...what the best way to get it out..even the condinsation...and why does this happen and what can i do to prevent it.

As our car is getting old and so does the head lights. Being expose to the elements the seal around it can no longer stand the water pressure being shot at from the hose when washing car or from rain. So water seep inside it and you have moisture and condensation. The best way to do it is the old bake it in the oven and take the lense out clean it and reseal it. But it's kinda hard if you don't know what you are doing and might risk of breaking your lense. The next way is to take your head lights out and use a hair dryer to blow hot air into it or put a heat lamp next to it until all the water evaporated. Wait until it cool and use GOOD Clear super glue and slowly go around the edges all over the lights and hope that did the trick. The last way is to replace new lense, which is very costly but nice. Also, when washing car try not to spray water directly at your lights since there might be mirco fracture on your lense caused by exposure to heat over the years and the water might get in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

James is right. But there are other things to concider. mThere are two vent hoses that are sS shaped that have dust filters in them. These filter crack and split with aging as mine did. Still after replacing the hoses with std rubber and a piece of steel wool stuffed inside of it to act asa dust filter they still fogged up. I then had to take them off the car and water test them under a faucet to find the water leak. It was at the seal at the top of the assy. I used GE silicon sealer that you can buy in any hardware stoor. So far so good.

i bought new ones and still had the same problem. wat u do is spray windex around the seals were the lens meets the housing. then i took my vacum that has a reverse air flow. which means it pushes air out. any air comporressor will do. wat u wanna do is push air in the main headlight whole and try to tape or hold shut the other holes. (just leave the lights in.

now were ever u see bubbles forming that means that leake is comming from there. Wat u wanna do is mark these holes and do it again. 2 times will re insure u found all the openings. (use alot of windex or water.

Finally take some caulk or silicone and seal it up nice over the marks u made. you can use weather proofing clay which can be found at any hardware store. i used both and i havent had problems since. might take u a few times or if ur carfull u will get it on the first try.

when ur done make shure there is no water or anything in the headlights before u replace it. Hope u got everything, as for cleaning them the inside of my lenses wernt dirty only the outside, so make shure before u take them out and bake them. If they are baking them is the best alternative. Good Luck.

Need some help with a head light problem.....water gets inside...what the best way to get it out..even the condinsation...and why does this happen and what can i do to prevent it.

THis may not be the perfect place to post this, but my searches did not bring back the results I was looking for.

My two high beam lights are foggy and I have heard that the stuff used to clean the plasitic windows of convertable tops works, but my biggest challenge is getting in there to clean them.

Anyone know the easiest way to get these light out - pictures would be great

Thanks for your help

• 3 years later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THis may not be the perfect place to post this, but my searches did not bring back the results I was looking for.

My two high beam lights are foggy and I have heard that the stuff used to clean the plasitic windows of convertable tops works, but my biggest challenge is getting in there to clean them.

Anyone know the easiest way to get these light out - pictures would be great

Thanks for your help

Plastic-X -- is great for cleaning the outside of the lenses. When they get a little old and oxidized.

It is not for the water problem. It does take some rubbing.

Not exactly sure of the name... they also make a other X products.

i used the meguires buffer for the oxidation, but for the hi-beam len itself might have to be replaced as well for the condinsation... :unsure: