New 92 Es300 Owner

Hi. How are you??

This is my first posting on the ES300 Section.

Recently my Uncle gave me his 92 ES300, One Owner, Highway Miles.

About a month a go, somebody stole his ES300 and vandalized it.

Instead of claiming insurance (he was concerned with the age and mileage of the vehicle that the it might be a loss), he decided to give me the car as is, for free. Can't beat free

Here's the bad news, the damage:

1) The front hood - looks like they threw a garbage can or barrel on it so it has a huge dent. Are the 92-96 hoods inter-changeable??

2) Instrument / Speedometer Cluster - Took that out. Are the 92-96 inter-changeable?? Where can I go to get the mileage set to what it was??

3) Center Radio and HVAC Control - Not there anymore. My uncle told me that he NO CD Changer and he thinks the Head Unit didn't have a function for CD. To my knowledge, wasn't the CD Standard Equipment?? I would OEM but would like a CD Changer. Do the OEM CD Changers play CD-R's well?? Is there an Aftermarket CD Changer available to use with an OEM Head Unit?? Also are the Radio and HVAC Control inter-changeable??

I think that's it for now, that's all I noticed last nite.

Wish me luck!!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks~~

i am a new 92 es 300 owner, and the only thing i can help you with is that the cd player is not standard...trust me....if it was i would be a happier camper. i am looking at a whole new stereo system for mine... if you want i can give you an awesome place to look for new stereo stuff.

as for the parts in the car, just see if you can find some camry parts in a junkyard, the guys here should give you some help on what exactly. i am sure they can give you much better info than i can...

id say the stereo head units are interchangeable, but i dont know about the HVAC and guage cluster (good luck on a fully functional one, as far as used ones go by the way!) my mom has a 96 and altough the guages are laid out exactly the same, there are a few changes in the warning lights. dont know if this would give you trouble or not, but just telling you what i know. on the HVAC, theyre the same once again in the 96, all except for the "outside temperature" button. once again, dont know how it would hook up. as for the hoods, they're exactly the same 92-96, so that shouldnt be too hard. and yes, the stock CD changer does play any CD-R ive ever put in it, and is extremely good about not skipping, so long as your CD's are in good shape. my advice on all this would be to find a donor car and see if the connectors for all this stuff match up. good luck, and i hope i've helped somehow!

the dealer is the place for mileage otherwise check your local yellow pages and search

the cluster and hvac is a dealer or wrecker part

and the radio is up to how you want to replace it

there are some differences in decks from 92-96 but nothing major

some cdrs work in the changer but the laser has to be dead on

easier to buy a new deck and change and get it put in

oh yah the 92-96 hoods are the same but not the front grille they just look different

** hey bbsal** this is how you add something to what you are saying when you remember

not doing another post 2 minutes later

:D

Edited by skperformance

Thanks for the info. :D

In regards to the radio, I saw some pics with an aftermarket headunit but I think the OEM has a much cleaner look to it. Doing the math, cost for cost, it looks like getting a Used Radio and CD changer vs. aftermarket might come out the similar.

I plan on calling some local Lexus dealerships for the cost on the cluster. Wish me luck on cost. :unsure: Hopefully not an arm and a leg.

Once again, Thanks for the info!!!

for the cluster.... keep your eye out on ebay.... every now and then they have those for auction....

you might get lucky....

other things you can do ... is try and contact major junkyards and such.... you can get used es parts for quite a deal...

so ... are there scratches all over the car then?

i hope you dont pay more than what the car is worth, trying to restore everything back in place...

good luck

- neil

NeiLtYmE,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, the hood has scratches and dents on it. I'm assuming one of 2 things, 1) they hit a garabage car or something like it and it landed on the hood or 2) then slammed something on the hood.

I went to a body shop and the estimate was $400 for fixing the hood and paint. The guy said if I bring in the hood, he would charge $100 for the paint and installation.

I checked salvage yards and had no luck finding any.

I found a Lexus parts site (forgot the URL) where they sell hoods and the price was $321 plus shipping. Not painted.

Don't know which way to go, new hood or repair the hood?? :(

if a hood has a bend or anything more than a 4 inch dent

it is not made to be repaired

the under side of the hood contains the bars to control its crumple rate and direction

once it has been bent ot beomce very weak and can bend in the same spot just from driving

but i have not seen how big the damage is

I have heard mixed reviews on the Dent King or whatever it is called.

1 person said it popped the dent right out.

The other said they could get the glue stuff off later and that it will not pop out creases.

I think you have a 30 day money back. Doesn't hurt to try.

It if doesn't work, your going to a body shop anyway, right.

steviej