Rx300 Dangerous Issue

cinealtacat

I have a 2000 RX300 I had just made a right hand turn and increased my speed to 30mph when there was a loud explosion from front and then the left side dropped and pulled me towards the left into oncoming traffic. I managed to force the car to the right missing a Semi. Getting out of the car the front left wheel was disconnected from the ball joint and the axel was pulled out of the transmission.

Appears thatthe BALL JOINT FAILED. an issue lexus has had in past models.

Of course my car just happens to be out of the 4 year warrenty but still has power train. This car as 60K on the clock. Lexus denies that the ball joint failed and that I have now to foot the bill for nearly $6K for repairs to transmission all for a $50 ball joint.

Has anyone else had these problems?

As you know, your ball joint should not have been even close to failing at 60,000 miles. If Lexus refuses to work with you (and assuming your vehicle has not been in an accident previous to this), you may want to contact your state's Attorney General's office for consumer assistance. Good luck and keep us posted.

Call Lexus Corporate and threaten legal action.  If they dont cooperate, take legal action.  That is terrible and I am glad you weren't involved in a severe accident.  Take care.

The RX300 has had problems with the front struts and there is a TSB [ Technical Service Bulletin ] on it. My wife's 2000 RX300 was in the shop just 2 months ago for repairs [ Certified Warranty ] and now it's doing the SAME thing again. [ Cracking/knocking when pulling onto uneven surfaces at an angle such as a driveway ]

Could this still be an issue for a 2003 rx?

All RX300's !

The design of the current upper rubber strut-mount is faulty. The " fix " has been to replace the rubber strut-mounts with a " new design " rubber mount. When a customer takes their RX300 in to the dealer for the repair you have to wonder if they really replace anything or just move the current rubber mount around, apply some rubber lubricant, collect for the correct repair time from Lexus, and then send the customer on their way. Who knows !

Could this still be an issue for a 2003 rx?

All RX300's !

The design of the current upper rubber strut-mount is faulty. The " fix " has been to replace the rubber strut-mounts with a " new design " rubber mount. When a customer takes their RX300 in to the dealer for the repair you have to wonder if they really replace anything or just move the current rubber mount around, apply some rubber lubricant, collect for the correct repair time from Lexus, and then send the customer on their way. Who knows !

Has anyone ever sat there and "watched" the guys at lexus work on your car?? do they allow you to do that? Because i think they would do a mighty fine job if they know you were watching them LOL

I have a 2000 RX300 I had just made a right hand turn and increased my speed to 30mph when there was a loud explosion from front and then the left side dropped and pulled me towards the left into oncoming traffic. I managed to force the car to the right missing a Semi. Getting out of the car the front left wheel was disconnected from the ball joint and the axel was pulled out of the transmission.

Appears thatthe BALL JOINT FAILED. an issue lexus has had in past models.

Of course my car just happens to be out of the 4 year warrenty but still has power train. This car as 60K on the clock. Lexus denies that the ball joint failed and that I have now to foot the bill for nearly $6K for repairs to transmission all for a $50 ball joint.

Has anyone else had these problems?

If Lexus denies the ball joint failed, then the clip on the half shaft failed which is part of the drive train. That should be covered by the power train warranty. What a bunch of ........ Come on the axle does not slip out unless the suspension supports/ ie ball joint, strut mount etc failed.