Power Steering Fluid Overflow

marwankw

Hi,

I have a 1998 LS400, when I open the reservoir cap I find the P.S. fluid bubbling and in around 20 sec. it overflows and makes the surrounding messy.

Any idea why?

Steering is not hard and no leaks

Hi,

I have a 1998 LS400, when I open the reservoir cap I find the P.S. fluid bubbling and in around 20 sec. it overflows and makes the surrounding messy.

Any idea why?

Maybe you have air in the system? It shouldnt overflow, no matter what. When it does this, does it keep coming out, or do you stop it then?

Hi,

Any idea why?

Maybe you have air in the system? It shouldnt overflow, no matter what. When it does this, does it keep coming out, or do you stop it then?

Ah i don't know, have to try this i usually close the reservoir cap to avoid further mess.

add more fluid then get in your car and turn the steering wheel all the way left and hold it for a couple of seconds then turn it all the way right and hold for a couple of seconds repeat this process several times and all of the air should be out of the system

• 5 weeks later...

A consistent leak of PS fluid can cause issue but a quick spill is no problem unlike the older 4.0l v8's.

Air in the PS system would not be a problem as it is not sealed and circulates the fluid to the reservoir to release air if accumulated.

I would have suspected a dirty screen /filter causing the backup.