Overheating Very Strange

thieaux

Here i go ..

91' ls 400 60k .

Dlc gave me code 24 ... ?and waht to do ?

Next it's overheating. Here is the description.

1. Fans are allright , go on at full, med , low speed.

2. No white smoke.

3. No oil in the coolant reservoir.

4.No coolant in the block.

5. No bubbles in the reservoir .

6.Hoses and cap are hot, water circulating.

7. Overflows coolant when overheats.

8.steam is coming out all over the front driver side.

What gives?

Here i go ..

91' ls 400 60k .

2. No white smoke.

8.steam is coming out all over the front  driver side.

What gives?

Assuming the coolong fans are not working intermittingly, I'd say there has to be an occlusion or a leak. I would recommend a pressure test to check for a leak. A blockage would be probably be in the radiator. Also a partially opened thermostat can cause an enging to overheat. How did you determine that the cooloing system is circulating?

You need to tell us in detail the conditions in which it overheats and how quickly it overheats. And also a little about the ownership and maintenance history of the car.

Example: if the temp gauge rises above the 1/2 way point on the temperature gauge

dial within the first 5 miles of driving regardless of the weather, terrain or traffic conditions then that behavior would suggest the thermostat is stuck closed preventing coolant from circulating.

You need to tell us in detail the conditions in which it overheats and how quickly it overheats. And also a little about the ownership and maintenance history of the car.

Example: if the temp gauge rises above the 1/2 way point on the temperature gauge

dial within the first 5 miles of driving regardless of the weather, terrain or traffic conditions then that behavior would suggest the thermostat is stuck closed preventing coolant from circulating.

I started having the same problem yesterday. It takes a while for the temp gauge to go up maybe like 30min. When it over heats it looks like it comes back out the reservoir and the color of it is almost brown. Is it i just have the flush the system or what?

i had this problrm about a month ago but the gauge only started to rise when i turnd on the a/c i put a new thermostat in and flushed the cooling system and everything was okay until yesterday when it was like 96 derees and today same temp im kind of fed up now is this normal or do i need to check something in the fans the waterpump would be the last thing if nothing else works but i dot think its that b/c this only happens if i turn on the a/c

Problem solved , thanks guys for the help...

THe problem was a leak in the block, right next to the driver side header , got it solder , rides like a dream no more overheating yeiiiiiiiiiiii.

My Iac was bad so my mechanic , made a very ingenious air difuser , that kept the revs just at 700 rpm , Another problem solved for now...

Right now im getting something strange when i floored it and it hits 4000 rpm with the ect in norm and o/d on, it lags for like a second and then shifts. What can it be?

Here i go ..

91' ls 400 60k .

2. No white smoke.

8.steam is coming out all over the front  driver side.

What gives?

Are you using water or Coolant?

#7 implies Coolant, #8 Sounds more like water.

Had coolant in mine and it slowly disappeared on long trips or when I used the A/C and I would just add water. Maybe twice a week I would add some water in the reservoir. On day on a very hot day in palm springs it started to steam from the driver side. Parked in a gas station (no mechanic) let it cool down and added water.

Got back to LA and Didn't get the car checked just was missing a little bit of water. About a week later the timing belt was changed and coolant was used to refill the cooling system. Well the next day when I went to pick up the car the mechanic told me that a hose behind the engine was leaking and he replaced it( free of charge). Showed me the one he pulled out. About 3 to 4 inches long, if that and about the same thickness as the hoses that go to the reservoir. After that the coolant level never changed.

Coolant should just drip and give you a good Idea of where to look. If not got to a a radiator place, I'm sure they could do a pressure test. Pretty sure you have a small leak.

Good Luck

My luck as always sucks....

Well as i said before , i found a leak in the engine block , got it fixed, everything is great right .... WRONG

I took a trip , about 30 miles down the trip, it started to overheat ,not much but enough for me to concern, i stop check the coolant everythihng is fine, i keep going ,like an hour in the road i had to stop car almost in red, turn it off , pop the hood water is bubling back to the reservoir, let it cool down , got my 17 and unscrew the filler nut filled it up ,WAS ALMOST OUT OF WATER, took almost 2 gallons of water . continued my trip on my way home had to stop almost every 30 miles , for it to cool down i was doing like 60mph and about 1200 rpms the whole way , there were times when he wanted to overheat and i just let off the gas and it would go down, sometimes not that lucky, good part about all this is that i drove my car today ran all my duties, no overheting , just went up a notch in a jam at noon with ac at foll.

Advise?

The coolant used by Lexus is a rather nasty looking color brown even when new, I'm not sure why they did that. If you start the car when it is COLD and leave the radiator cap off, you will see when the thermostat opens and the flow begins. If it never does, you might consider water pump issues. But, it sounds more like a sticking thermostat to me since the Lexus cooling components are pretty dependable. That isn't much money to make it worth changing before drawing conclusions. Good luck and keep cool.

My luck as always  sucks....

Well as i said before , i found a leak in the engine block , got it fixed, everything is great right .... WRONG

I took a trip , about  30 miles down the trip, it started  to overheat ,not much but enough for me to concern,  i stop check the coolant everythihng is fine,  i keep going ,like an hour in the road i had to stop car almost in red,  turn it off , pop the hood  water is bubling back to the reservoir, let it cool down , got my 17 and unscrew the filler nut filled it up ,WAS ALMOST OUT OF WATER, took almost 2 gallons of water .  continued my trip on my way home had to stop almost every 30 miles , for it to cool down i was doing like 60mph and about 1200 rpms the whole way , there were times when he wanted to overheat and i just let off the gas and it would go down, sometimes not that lucky, good part about all this is that i drove my car  today ran all my duties, no overheting , just went up a notch in a jam at noon with ac at foll.

Advise?

Ironically same thing happened to my 91 ls400... turned out I needed to replace waterpump.

How many miles you got/ It's sugested to change the timing belt @ 150000...If the waterpumps going or gone, maybe you can kill two birds w/one stone...?