Q45 2002 Vs. Ls 400

tealboy

I have been keeping an eye open for a LS 430, 2001, but have decided the price premium for the 01 vs. the 2000 LS400 is too much (about $10k). I don't put a lot of miles on a car (8k per year max) so I prefer to be in the low to mid 20's. Both of these cars hit that point.

With the Q, I get a 2002 for appx $24k vs. $22k or so for a low mileage 1999 or 2000 LS. I am concentrating on both of these vehicles b/c they are smooth, comfortable, reliable and quiet cars. All important criteria to me. Howevr, I do not know enough about either to be able to draw a good comparision and make an informed decision. Obviously the Q depreciates more, therefore, I get a newer car for the same money, including side air bags, but I don't know what, if anything, i give up.

By the way, though i thought the Avalon might be comparable to the Lexus or Q, I drove it and no longer feel that way. Though nice, it is stiffer, less comfortable, transmits more road noise and just doesn't have a luxurious feel. A great car for sure, but not the same.

anyway, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at a 2002 for $24k right now (no nav) w/ 55k miles and need your input, pls. thx

I have been keeping an eye open for a LS 430, 2001, but have decided the price premium for the 01 vs. the 2000 LS400 is too much (about $10k).  I don't put a lot of miles on a car (8k per year max) so I prefer to be in the low to mid 20's.  Both of these cars hit that point.

With the Q, I get a 2002 for appx $24k vs. $22k or so for a low mileage 1999 or 2000 LS.  I am concentrating on  both of these vehicles b/c they are smooth, comfortable, reliable and quiet cars.  All important criteria to me.  Howevr, I do not know enough about either to be able to draw a good comparision and make an informed decision.  Obviously the Q depreciates more, therefore, I get a newer car for the same money, including side air bags, but I don't know what, if anything, i give up.

By the way, though i thought the Avalon might be comparable to the Lexus or Q, I drove it and no longer feel that way.  Though nice, it is stiffer, less comfortable, transmits more road noise and just doesn't have a luxurious feel.  A great car for sure, but not the same.

anyway, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking at a 2002 for $24k right now (no nav) w/ 55k miles and need your input, pls.  thx

1. The '02 Q45 is compariable with the '01 LS430, not the 400. So since they are the same price, The Q will be a newer generation, and more bang for the buc. But Im not sure how reliable they are, or maintenance costs. But i know their suspension systems are a nightmare and EXPENSIVE.

2. The LS had side airbags since '97.

3. The Avalon is in a completely different league.

4. A low mileage '00 LS should be around 19-20K.

It's a tough choice, one that all LS owners have had to wrestle with at one point or another. What did it for me was looking at the older models of each car. The Lexus models seem to stay together better, the interior components seem to look new for A LOT longer. The leather seats seem to last longer, and don't crack or wear through as easily. The paint seems to last a bit longer too. That's what did it for me. I found several older LS models "10+ years" that looked a lot better inside & out than say a 5 year old Q45. That's what sold me. You have to really neglect an LS400 to make it look bad. I don't think the same can be said to this degree on the Q models. Altough, they are sweet cars! I just think the LS holds up to time better, due to better materials used.

Just my opinion. I have no regrets with getting my 95 LS over the 99 Q45 I was looking at. Both had same milage, same color and both drove perfectly, but the LS had no interior flaws what so ever. The Q's driver and passenger front seats had that leather rub off on the seats, and the arm rest was worn out too. The buttons looked bad and did not have the same, solid, feel the LS did.

I would think the "Q" would be worth less in three years than the 2000 LS due to a higher depreciation which is due to higher maintenance because of reliability and the LS has a higher demand. Dollar wise the LS would be a better buy. Pride of ownership is another factor, especially if you are in a "Q" and pull up beside an LS at a red light. Just a thought.

I to would say go with the Lexus. When I look at those cars I dont look at Infiniti or Lexus. I look at there main brand i.e. Toyota vs. Nissan. I dont know that much about Nissan but I know that a Toyota is the best car in the world. I think that is what really sold people on the Lexus. That is why you see more Ls400/30's than Infiniti Q45's. Now the 't' is a nice car dont get me wrong. Its like Infinit's sports package. We had a J30t and it was a great car but like NC said the interior fades over time and starts to look bad. I would say go with the Lexus.

thanks

The car this 95 Lexus replaced was a 2001, fully loaded to the hill, Maxima SE. The Lexus is far better in materials, ride, quietness, comfort and feel than that Maxima would ever be. I have no regrets not buying out my lease on that Maxima. Although she was fun on a twisty road, but GOD awful on the highway, thanks to those 17 inch rims and one funky suspension set up. Not to mention the WIND TUNNEL in the back seat, thanks to poorly designed rear windows. I think Nissan is more performance, as were Toyota is more refined comfort. Therefore, I would say the Q is more kick in the pants performance oriented and the LS is more road warrior, battle tank, refined cruiser beast of joy!!

In 2003, I seriously thought about buying a 2001 Q45 (about 60K miles) before buying a 2000 LS400 (with 38K miles).

The Q45 was far more fun to drive than the LS. What really put me off the Q was the poor quality of the components around the steering wheel - the turn signal lever and the switches seemed way too sloppy for a quality car.

I guess I was too used to Toyota fit and finish quality and ended up spending a LOT more than the Q cost to get an LS that was one year older.

In 2003, I seriously thought about buying a 2001 Q45 (about 60K miles) before buying a 2000 LS400 (with 38K miles).

The Q45 was far more fun to drive than the LS.  What really put me off the Q was the poor quality of the components around the steering wheel - the turn signal lever and the switches seemed way too sloppy for a quality car.

I guess I was too used to Toyota fit and finish quality and ended up spending a LOT more than the Q cost to get an LS that was one year older.

I was at officemax the other day and when I came out there was a 98 Q parked next to my GS with the owner sitting in it waiting for his wife. He commented on how nice my car looked and asked my opinion of LEXUS So I told him [ you know the story here ] He told me his next car was giong to be a LEXUS LS430 too many problems with the Q although he did say the dealer service was excellent. Good Luck with your choice.