Transmision Filte

Hampton

Last week I plan to drain the transmision fluid and was told by lexus parts salesman that there is not transmision fluid filter for 95LS400, they never sell that kind filter parts!

Here ccoms the question, all I can do is just drain and refill the transmision fluid and clean the fluid pan and seal it correctly? never need to replace the filter, because there is no filter! Am I right?

Thanks for help.

There is a filter! ;) I just changed mine and cleaned the solenoids as per Bicol's recommendation. The trans shifts much, much better after the servicing. After everything was put back together, I refilled with just a hair under 3 quarts.

There is a filter!  ;)  I just changed mine and cleaned the solenoids as per Bicol's recommendation. The trans shifts much, much better after the servicing. After everything was put back together, I refilled with just a hair under 3 quarts.

Hi,blake918

How excited, where do you buy the transmision filter, my local lexus dealer parts saleman said they never sell that parts! are your sure your LS model is 95? and BTW waht is the solenoids? where is it? what it for? if I have I like to clean it.

Many thanks

I'm 1000% positive my LS is a 95 (UCF20L)! :D I got my filter from my local dealer for something like $50. I'll find the post on the solenoids for you.

Here's the link for the transmission service-filter and solenoids.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mission++cooler

I'm 1000% positive my LS is a 95 (UCF20L)!  :D  I got my filter from my local dealer for something like $50. I'll find the post on the solenoids for you.

Thanks again! blake918.

Lexus parts saleaman also told me that there is no gasket for fluid pan as first gen LS has.

1. What kind sealant you use? any difficult to put fluid pan on with sealant?

2. Do take off the fluid pan easy? any tricks?

Many thanks

I am now checking your given URL

I'm 1000% positive my LS is a 95 (UCF20L)!  :D  I got my filter from my local dealer for something like $50. I'll find the post on the solenoids for you.

Hi blake918 again

I have checked your given link. Thanks you for your great help.

I now konw where is the strainer,solenoid and how to clean them.

Maybe I should tell parts salesman I need a strainer not a filter. maybe that make him comfused.

You inspect the metal mesh filter screen and should clean it only if it is visibly partially blocked. Many times it will still be clean like this one was after 122,000 miles http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast...transscreen.jpg

For 35 years there have never been any filters / strainers that ever need to be replaced inside a Toyota automatic transmission.

You inspect the metal mesh filter screen and should clean it only if it is visibly partially blocked.  Many times it will still be clean like this one was after 122,000 miles http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast...transscreen.jpg

For 35 years there have never been any filters / strainers that ever need to be replaced inside a Toyota automatic transmission.

Hi, Monarch

You let me more excited! my car is only 80k, Looks like I just need to clean the strainer,solenoids and oil pan.

I surppose I can ONLY use some new transmision fuid to clean the strainer's metal mesh screen and solenoids. am I right?

Thanks again

monarchs right i just flushed my tranny last week i took the pan down and cleaned it also took the filter out cleaned it off and put it back in i used the toyota t-iv and my car runs eal smooth too

Hi,blake918

One more question for solenoids clean. Do I just clean the 4 solenoid valves[shift Solenoid SLU,SLN,No 1 and No 2 valves] ? I have a bit nervous for Valve Body with the 20 bolts on.

Thanks

Thanks again! blake918.

Lexus parts saleaman also told me that there is no gasket for fluid pan as first gen LS has.

1. What kind sealant you use? any difficult to put fluid pan on with sealant?

2. Do take off the fluid pan easy? any tricks?

Many thanks

I am now checking your given URL

After removing the 20 or so nuts, we took a flat-head screw driver and hammered at the seam until it broke loose. Later on, we sanded and wirebrushed (on the bench grinder) the minor, minor imperfections from hammering, and it looked great. There is no traditional gasket for the OE part. I don't remember what kind of sealer we used...I wasn't going to pay the dealer $30 for some $5 tube of sealer. I don't know why, but the thing that gave us the most trouble was the bolt for the dipstick. It just didn't want to get back in there!

Hi,blake918

One more question for solenoids clean. Do I just clean the 4 solenoid valves[shift Solenoid SLU,SLN,No 1 and No 2 valves] ? I have a bit nervous for Valve Body with the 20 bolts on.

Thanks

I'm having a hard time picking the names of the solenoids from that repair manual PDF (they switch orientations 10x). After you get the filter out, it's the 2 solenoids nearest the rear of the car. You don't have to take the valve body off!

My filter was about 90% spotless. I chose to replace rather than clean. I think springing for a new trans filter once every 260k is not a bad thing.

Hi blake918, I've never done the solenoid cleaning partly because I've never heard of doing this task before and partly because I can't imagine how they could get dirty considering clean transmission fluid is a good metal parts cleaner all by itself.

So blake918, I'm wondering what type of dirt was present on your solenoids and in what way was this dirt interfering with how they were functioning? Thanks.

Monarch, there was only one tiny spec of dirt (the size of a small a crumb) in one of the holes on one of the solenoids. I don't know if the new filter or the solenoids did the magic, but she shifts better than before, and she already shifted wonderfully. My fluid is also spotless as I do pan drains roughly every 5k miles with Toy T-IV fluid (as per the RW maint. plan).

After Bicol did this, he inspired me to do the same. My hope in doing this was to eleminate/lessen the P-->D lurch which it didn't; as it turns out, an even smoother transmission shift was a byproduct of my origional intent. After I found original wires on my car @ 235k, I knew that the trans filter had to be original also, so I figured why not do this! I was hoping for a lessened lurch, but I ended up with smoother shifting, and I'm sure it did some good for the trans. I consider it a success!

blake good to hear somebody benefitted from advice, anyways ever since i did this,  my cars been smooothshifting, just had a 700mi round tripper running 80 115 mph clear, very outstanding,:cheers::cheers:

When I get the energy, I'll put that cooler in there too! ;) It's simply remarkable the way my 260k mile LS shifts. I can't notice them, and I have a borderline case of OCD when it comes to the LS! :D It's always fun to give the LS some gas, huh? lol

:cheers:

that cooler really helps out a lot, i was running ac max cold on a 120 degree outside temp car didnt even budge, also didnt even use power ECT setting on the transmission, on uphill climb that with 4 people plus luggage,