High Mileage Rx300

Erv

I have a '99 RX300 with 155,000 miles on it. Just wanted some feedback from any other high mile RX owners on what things to watch for.

I recently had to re-do all my parking brake cables, shoes, rotors, spindle.

Had some tire issues that were just fixed (Never put Contitrac SUV tires on this vehicle!)

Most of my problems are likely due to our climate here in Central NY, roads are heavily salted in winter so corrosion is a big probelm with all vehicles.

My engine, trans, A/C, electronics, cooling sys have all been great.

Any help I can get avoiding problems will be appreciated as I work out of this vehicle and put 30k on a year; when it's in the shop, I'm out of business!

Thanks

do you have all wheel drive or front wheel drive?

AWD, I've been reading some of the comments and concerns here about transmissions; But I have had no issues,mine has a factory towing package with a receiver hitch, maybe it has extra cooling capacity. I bought the vehicle with 97K miles on it and had all the fluids changed at about 140K. Trans, Coolant, Differentials. The A/C is flawless!!

The only problems I've had in two years is an O2 sensor ( luckily it was the "cheap" one), and my parking brake system which is understandable in our upstate NY climate, parking brakes never hold up here because of corrosion.

Any other issues I have had have been related to poor workmanship and service on the part of a Tire shop.

Oh yeah, I got rear-ended last June, I was afraid to get out and look but it was not too bad.

Well all i can think of is the transmission. Just check the fluid every once in a while, if it starts to get dark, replace it.

you're one of the lucky ones!!

what percentage of the rx's have crappy tranny's? cause i have an 01 with 99k on it and its still goin strong.

Well all i can think of is the transmission. Just check the fluid every once in a while, if it starts to get dark, replace it.

you're one of the lucky ones!!

At what mileage do you think the spark plugs should be changed? I don't think they have ever been done. (155,000 miles)

Can I do this myself? I know you have to use the specific iridium tipped plugs, but how hard are they to get to?

The last thing I want to do is break something or cause another problem.

On my Dodge Caravan I didn't change the plugs 'til 125k miles, and as soon as I did one of the coils burned up!!! Should have left it alone!

Lexus and Toyota techs will tell you that the Denso iridium-tipped spark plugs are good for 120,000 miles in most situations. My wife's 2000 RX300 is pushing 92,000 miles and the plugs are still strong and clean.

The three front plugs are easy to get to once you've removed the dust cover because there they are right in front of you. The three rear plugs are the worst excuse for proper spark plug service design placement that I've ever owned in 35 years of driving. Good luck getting to them without an assortment of wrenchs, extensions, tiny girlie hands, and the ability to bend your arms like a circus contortionist.

Lexus and Toyota techs will tell you that the Denso iridium-tipped spark plugs are good for 120,000 miles in most situations.  My wife's 2000 RX300 is pushing 92,000 miles and the plugs are still strong and clean.

The three front plugs are easy to get to once you've removed the dust cover because there they are right in front of you.  The three rear plugs are the worst excuse for proper spark plug service design placement that I've ever owned in 35 years of driving.  Good luck getting to them without an assortment of wrenchs, extensions, tiny girlie hands, and the ability to bend your arms like a circus contortionist.

Hey RX have you changed the rear plugs? I have 116k on my RX and am not looking forward to that task. I am well equiped with tools but is it that bad? Thanks Lenore

I plan to run the original Denso iridium plugs to 120,000 miles if we keep the vehicle that long. I already know that I'll have a miserable day under the hood trying to change the three rear plugs when it's time to do so. Take a look at the set-up for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

If you change your plugs, please post and let us know the procedure you used to handle the three rear ones. It is going to be a !Removed!, no question about it.