Help!

i have a 92 sc400, just got it on sunday so i don't know much about it at this point, i have tomorrow off so i need to figure it out then. heres the problem..

the car will run PERFECT all day, but then Randomly (100% random), maybe at a stop light, or after you shut the car off and try to restart it, or maybe stopping to put it in reverse, it'll stall out and it'll take a Lot of cranking but it'll start back up, and run Horrible, always starts back up and either runs perfect like nothing happened, or it'll sputter and run like crap then die, start it back up, will either run like crap again or run perfect, once it runs perfect again, no problems! till the random stall comes again, could be 20 miles, could be the next day.... any ideas?

it also gives out a exhaust smelling of rotten eggs occasionally when i restart it (cats?)

i read the other topics and realize it could be the fuel pump ecu but i'm hoping it's something cheaper/easier to find locally or something i can fix myself.

i have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body and air filter but it still happens, might happen in 2 miles, might happen in 20 miles... once it happens, the car also smokes out the exhaust and runs horribly, then it'll rev up to 2000rpm and sit there for a bit and smoke some, then it'll run perfect,

i ran the check engine light codes and got a tp sensor, ks signal, and sub o2 sensor codes.

any ideas would be nice, this thing is driving me nuts, but i don't want to just toss money at it.

I would suspect that the cats are bad (clogged/collapsed internally).

but if that were the case, it would happen all the time, 90% of the time it runs perfect.... i was sort of thinking maybe the egr is sticking or something of that sort? anyone agree?

the o2 code means that the cat is not burning the exhaust fumes properly which is killing the sensor sooner and producing the smell while the throttle position sensor might be going bad causing the throttle not to open up which would make the car stall out from lack of air these are just some of the things that you should check all you need to do to check if the fuel pump is getting a signal is disconnect the pump connector and check for a signal with a voltmeter

ended up being a clogged egr valve, i cleaned about 1/8lb of carbon out of there....!! no stalls in 40 miles so far.

good a clogged egr is just as bad as stuck closed egr because if the exhaust gases are not allowed to vent into the engine tat would create a very rough sounding engine which could die from time to time from too much pressure by the way are all your codes gone?

check engine light is still on, haven't ran the codes yet, i just cleaned the egr yesterday and then put about 100 miles on it with no stalls, it was getting REALLY bad as of friday, stalling at almost every light....todays goal is to run the codes again, see what the problems are and get that light shut off...

Your also very helpful by putting a title that makes any sense.

Try and make one that defines the question or problem.

SHA4000

I am not sure who gave you the information that a clogged egr makes a rough engine that stalls .

An egr is to keep combustion temps down to reduce emissions.

It reduces power and incerases milage when open (stuck or not).

A stuck closed one will reduce your gas milage ,increase your nox emissions and incerase you power from the engine.

You can remove an egr and it will run perfectly fine , ever heard of JDM ? They do not use EGR's on the same engines

skperformance, please go research the egr before spouting off about it, you apparently take your car to the dealer as was suggested to me, which sounds like the best idea for you. a sticking egr Will in fact cause the car to stall out at idle or be hard to start.

If your egr is stuck open at cold idle your car will have an idle that is bad , I know what i am talking about, you don't understand what it is about ,that is why you are asking for "Help!".

Apparantly i am a technition .

if your egr is stuck open at any idle it'll run bad, or stall. you sound like you're about 16.... and yeah you sure are a technician and your spelling is excellant too? i was asking for help, but your comments most def. did not help.