When Was "convient Start" A Feature?

ED.

I have it on my 740. All you do is turn the key to the start position and let it go and it will start without having to hold it. My 96 doesnt have and I was guessing the 98's on had it?

thanks

My 98 does not have it either.

I do not like the key hold thing as it works but if the car cuts off for some reason you need to completly turnt he key back to get the starter to engage again.

My 98 doesnt have it either. Mercedes does have it for sure.

My '02 benz had convenience start, so I was used to it. And even before convenience start, benz made you turn the key all the way off if the car didn't start. So I was a complete dork when I was test driving LSes. I'd turn the key to start and let go of it instead of holding it until it started. Of course, the LS didn't start. Then instead of just trying again, I'd turn the key all the way off and back on, again out of habit. Fortunately, the sales guy was patient. It's not on my 98, nor was it on the '01 or '02 I test drove. Did Lexus ever put convenience start on a car, or did they go straight to the start button like on the GS?

The German cars also had a cool lane change thing. Barely press down (or up) on the blinker switch and release, and you'd get 3 blinks. Great for lane changes. So guess what. I still tap the blinker now and then, expecting 3 blinks. But the guy behind me gets about half a blink.... :rolleyes:

I have it on my 740. All you do is turn the key to the start position and let it go and it will start without having to hold it. My 96 doesnt have and I was guessing the 98's on had it?

thanks

Sounds like quite the odd (and somewhat unnecessary) option to have on a car. It'd be nice to have standard, but why pay for soemthing like that? Are people really that lazy to not twist their wrist for 2 seconds for their car to start? :whistles: ;) :D

91lexus, you wouldn't believe the agony it saved!! :lol: I agree it doesn't take much effort to hold the key for 2 seconds to start the engine. It wasn't an option, it was just there as a standard feature. And surprisingly, it worked flawlessly. I never, ever had to restart the engine. After you get used to it, you think "why do you have to hold the key in the start position on other cars anyway?", much like you get accustomed to auto-up/down windows, automatic lights and auto climate control. Just another electronic gadget.

91lexus, you wouldn't believe the agony it saved!!  :lol:  I agree it doesn't take much effort to hold the key for 2 seconds to start the engine.  It wasn't an option, it was just there as a standard feature.  And surprisingly, it worked flawlessly.  I never, ever had to restart the engine.  After you get used to it, you think "why do you have to hold the key in the start position on other cars anyway?", much like you get accustomed to auto-up/down windows, automatic lights and auto climate control.  Just another electronic gadget.

Alright then i guess it's not that bad if it's standard. actually i'm just jealous and i want it on my car. :angry::lol:

The German cars also had a cool lane change thing.  Barely press down (or up) on the blinker switch and release, and you'd get 3 blinks.  Great for lane changes.  So guess what.  I still tap the blinker now and then, expecting 3 blinks.  But the guy behind me gets about half a blink....  :rolleyes:

I read that somewhere in my owners manual. I know on my BMW you barely push the blinker up and it will signal and thats what I alwys thought they meant by the lane change feature. I will have to try it when I get the BMW tomorrow.

By the way, would a Lexus car prevent you from cranking the engine if it’s already running?

I dont know. I know my BMW wont let me turn the car off unless its in Park...

The German cars also had a cool lane change thing.  Barely press down (or up) on the blinker switch and release, and you'd get 3 blinks.  Great for lane changes.  So guess what.  I still tap the blinker now and then, expecting 3 blinks.  But the guy behind me gets about half a blink....   :rolleyes:

I read that somewhere in my owners manual. I know on my BMW you barely push the blinker up and it will signal and thats what I alwys thought they meant by the lane change feature. I will have to try it when I get the BMW tomorrow.

By the way, would a Lexus car prevent you from cranking the engine if it’s already running?

I dont know. I know my BMW wont let me turn the car off unless its in Park...

Ed,

Can you try that for me? :D

I'll give it a try when I get the car tomorrow. i will post the results tomorrow morning. I am also pretty excited that i wona new remote off ebay. I put ina acheap bid llast night to see of the other bidders werre serious and I won! I cant wait to start using a remtoe again1 Now, to get that door handle fixed.....

thanks

He means can you crank the motor while the motor is operational? In my 97 Mark VIII, you couldnt do that, it would just reset the Electronics inside the car, without affecting anything with the drivetrain. But the LS will squeek, and stall on you if you do it.

Grand_LS, how do you know it will do that? First hand experience?? :) Like your sig pic. What color is yours? Cashmere beige? Mine looks the same. Do you have your windows tinted? Nice looking car. I've really fallen for the lines of the 98+.

Ed,

Can you try that for me? :D

Jacob, I tried it this morning and the car wouldnt let me. Pretty cool. Sometimes my dad tries to start the car once its already running. This will keep him from doing it :P

Lexus Looker, my BMW doesnt have the lane change thing :cries: . Thats OK, the other day I figured out how to fast forward through CD's!

thanks

Jacob, I tried it this morning and the car wouldnt let me. Pretty cool. Sometimes my dad tries to start the car once its already running. This will keep him from doing it  :P

Thank you ED, I was joking though because I don’t want you to damage your car. This is a very convenient feature because people sometimes try to start the engine while it’s running especially in noisy surroundings.

No problemmy friend. It is starting to lose some pixels on the instument cluster so I am nad at it anywya. PLus I have and extended warranty :P . No im just jokin : )

thanks!

Grand_LS, how do you know it will do that?  First hand experience?? :)  Like your sig pic.  What color is yours?  Cashmere beige?  Mine looks the same.  Do you have your windows tinted?  Nice looking car.  I've really fallen for the lines of the 98+.

Yeah, when I first got the car, it was much quieter then my friends CLK430, that I tried to start it while it was operational in a busy gas station. :unsure:

Yes, It was tinted when I got it, but i took it off a couple of weeks ago to install a better looking tint. Havent had time to get it installed yet. lets see some pics of yours.