Wierd Engine/exhaust? Noise When Accelarating?!

awademan

ok normally this car runs great. No problem with power or anything and it has a 114k on it. Just in the last 2 weeks it has started making this muffled lawnmower sounding noise when i press the gas. Its not really loud but noiticably diff. from the way the car used to sound. it hasn't changed the way the car drives or its power, but the noise concernes me. it sounds like its coming from under the front of the car. anyone know what that sound could be?? Thanks -Drew

I'm not so sure if the noise you're talking about is the same is the noise i know of, but a noise while accelerating usually suggests transmission failure.

My 99 AWD rx300 started making this whining noise while accelerating at around 75,000 miles. It still worked fine, but at 79,000 miles it went for good.

My other 2003 rx300 started making that same exact noise at 69,000 miles, so i quickly sold it.

Is your rx300 a front wheel drive model, or all wheel drive? The noise you're talking about doesn't sound like the noise i heard. It may be the FWD verion of the tranny failure? I'm not totally sure.

but ANY noise that's unusual should get checked out asap be your dealer to make sure it's not dangerous. BELIEVE me you do not want to be going 90 on the highway and suddenly you cant shift or keep control of your speed, or be in the middle of an intersection and can't move. Form someone who already went through this; it's bad. I'm just giving you my honest opinion because i don't want to see you go through the same thing that i and MANY others did.

• 5 years later...

ok normally this car runs great. No problem with power or anything and it has a 114k on it. Just in the last 2 weeks it has started making this muffled lawnmower sounding noise when i press the gas. Its not really loud but noiticably diff. from the way the car used to sound. it hasn't changed the way the car drives or its power, but the noise concernes me. it sounds like its coming from under the front of the car. anyone know what that sound could be?? Thanks -Drew

I have 2002 RX 300 and currently experiencing the same issue. I appreciate if any body has got it fixed and share their experience.

Thank you.

There is a flex pipe just under the engine oil pan area...Do not take it to lexus unless you want to give money away...Any Muffler shop will weld one in for around $110....THe other place as noted is the gasket between that pipe and the catalytic converter...real cheap part to replace at any reputable shop. see this post on CLub Lexus

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/350021-exhaust-flex-pipe-issues-2.html

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much Lenore for your reply and suggestion. I took it to meineke and they have it done for $90.

Hi,

Has the noise gone since you have got the new flex pipe and/or gaskets?

I've got a highlander with this exact issue and will be doing what you've done. Would be good to see if you have had success.

Cheers

Matt

I just had a look under my highlander and I can't see the flex pipe (mesh looking thing). Did they change the pipes from the RX300 to the RX330 (which I assume will be identical to the highlander). I am almost certain the noise I'm hearing is relating to the gaskets and/or flex pipe, however I can't see it.

I'm no expert with engines/exhausts/cars for that matter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt