What If Your Rx400 Breaks Down

What would we do if the RX400 broke down hundreds of miles from a dealer.

Could any mechanic figure out what to do ?

I travel some routes many miles away from any dealer.

I am concerned

Opinions?

I am concerned

Opinions?

Someone I know recently experienced a transmission breakdown in Las Vegas. Instead of having the local yokel try to fix it there for $3000, he had his van towed back to San Diego. The thing I'm getting at is that many local garage mechanics would be helpless if diagnosing almost any vehicle's computer-based problems. Tires, hoses, belts, and radiators are things they are more likely to be able to handle, but I would not trust just anyone to fix anything more complicated than that. Thus, I think the chances of this happening are slim enough that you shouldn't worry.

I agree, I think Toyota/Lexus has been testing this car for over a year.

If there are any problems/failures, it has not been mentioned here in the forums.

Can't help wondering though...

I am concerned

Opinions?

Someone I know recently experienced a transmission breakdown in Las Vegas. Instead of having the local yokel try to fix it there for $3000, he had his van towed back to San Diego. The thing I'm getting at is that many local garage mechanics would be helpless if diagnosing almost any vehicle's computer-based problems. Tires, hoses, belts, and radiators are things they are more likely to be able to handle, but I would not trust just anyone to fix anything more complicated than that. Thus, I think the chances of this happening are slim enough that you shouldn't worry.

Your 400h comes with 24hr roadside assistance good in the 48 states alaska, and canada.

They are there 24/7 365 days a year. They will tow you to the nearest Lexus dealer or an "alternative repair facility". I hope that would be at least a Toyota dealership that could service a hybrid. In addition there is a trip protection clause that gives u a rental car for up to five days and $200 a day for lodging (3 days max) and expenses if the problem is covered under warranty, and it cannot be fixed. Depending on where u break down either the local AAA will be called or perhaps a Lexus dealership with roadside assistance if you are near one. This is good for four years from the date of purchase, i dont know if there is a milage limit.

That's great news.

I'll have to talk to the salespeople about that..

Your 400h comes with 24hr roadside assistance good in the 48 states alaska, and canada. 

They are there 24/7 365 days a year.  They will tow you to the nearest Lexus dealer or an "alternative repair facility".  I hope that would be at least a Toyota dealership that could service a hybrid.  In addition there is a trip protection clause that gives u a rental car for up to five days and $200 a day for lodging (3 days max) and expenses if the problem is covered under warranty, and it cannot be fixed.  Depending on where u break down either the local AAA will be called or perhaps a Lexus dealership with roadside assistance if you are near one.  This is good for four years from the date of purchase, i dont know if there is a milage limit.

They are there 24/7 365 days a year.  They will tow you to the nearest Lexus dealer or an "alternative repair facility".  I hope that would be at least a Toyota dealership that could service a hybrid.  In addition there is a trip protection clause that gives u a rental car for up to five days and $200 a day for lodging (3 days max) and expenses if the problem is covered under warranty, and it cannot be fixed.  Depending on where u break down either the local AAA will be called or perhaps a Lexus dealership with roadside assistance if you are near one.  This is good for four years from the date of purchase, i dont know if there is a milage limit.

So my 400h comes with roadaside assistance? Salesman failed to mention that. Do you know how long it is valid for?

edit..I should of read the entire post ;) But, I did notice they charge you for this, but it is included in the 400h purchase price?

Yes, most cars do nowadays, all luxury cars do. 4 years unlimited mileage on every Lexus. There is no charge. You can continue the coverage after 4 years for a charge. Lexus has had free roadside since the beginning back in 1990.

Its in the owners manual supplements ;)

We were also given a separate little brochure on it and it was pointed out to us several times during the car delivery. It was on the checklist of things the salesman was suppose to tell you.

We did find the car delivery process at Lexus to be burdensomely lengthy in its attempt to be thorough (I think it took about 3 hours and we were paying cash and no trade-in). I can see where some sales people might try to cut corners and streamline.