400h Factory Service Manual

Apparently a repair manual for the RX400h DOES exist as the link below shows:

http://techinfo.toyota.com/public/main/wha.../publexlib.html

I do not know how to obtain one. Please let me know if you find out. My dealer was not helpful.

Since Lexus repair manuals typically cost in the > $200.00 range, since the RX400h represents very new technology without a track record, and since the vehicle is still under warranty, it might be smart to wait a while before obtaining the manual. That way heretofore undiscovered issues can be incorporated in a later edition of the manual which would be more useful as the vehicle goes out of warranty.

That's strange...why would the description for the '06 RX400H on that webpage list "Dynamic Radar Cruise Control Guide Collision Repair Manual" when that feature doesn't seem to be offered on the car?

There are many pages in the owners manual describing the functions. There are pictures of the display showing settings.

Quite dissapointing it's not really there.

Anyone know the real reason?

There are also standard features like the power rear door where the owner's manual has the information for when the feature isn't there. I expect they prepared the manuals before they decided what the mix of standard and optional features for the US is. Perhaps they are also did this to allow for them to add an option during the 2006 model "year" which will be more like a year and a half.

The reason I was told for not offering laser cruise control was that it was an expensive option and not that many people were getting it or finding it useful. Something was said about it not working well under some conditions like fog. I don't know if this was the real reason, speculation by the dealer or a convenient exuse.

On the subject of manuals, am I the only one who finds some of the pictures in the owner's manual to be less than helpful? They will show a picture to show where something is located (e.g. the switch that disables the power rear door or the light sensor for the auto headlights) but the picture shows such a small area that it isn't helpful in locating the thing. Other times the picture doesn't show enough resolution to tell what they are talking about.

On the subject of manuals, am I the only one who finds some of the pictures in the owner's manual to be less than helpful? They will show a picture to show where something is located (e.g. the switch that disables the power rear door or the light sensor for the auto headlights) but the picture shows such a small area that it isn't helpful in locating the thing. Other times the picture doesn't show enough resolution to tell what they are talking about.

I agree. There's a feature in Photoshop (and possibly other photo-editing software) that allows you to create a macro view with a tail that points to the feature inside of a zoomed-out view. This is very helpful when showing the general and exact location of the part/feature in question.

Unfortunately, the scarcity of zoomed out views is fairly common in shop manuals.

According to the Owner's Manual, the Lexus authorized Repair Manual for the RX400h can be purchased from the dealer or by calling the Toyota Material Distribution and Service Publication Center at 1-800-622-2033, 0700-1700 PST M-F