Umm.. I Think I Ruined My Seats With Lexol

yeah. I don't know if I applied it wrong or what..the lexus dealer only carried the lexol wipes, so I figured hey that sounds good to me. I bought the cleaner and conditioner. I followed the directions exactly. I did the cleaner first, let it dry a little, then applied the conditioner. The leather looks great. But now when I sit in the seats..I can't describe how it feels. Like you know how you sit down then kinda scoot your butt back into place? normally your pants slide with you right? well now my body moves but my pants stay in the same spot. The leather isn't slidy at all, it feels like I'm sitting on wax or something. I don't know how else to describe it. Is this normal? Will it go away? Should I apply more conditioner tomorrow? help!!

I didnt even know Lexol made wipes...

If they're anything like the actual Lexol product then the cleaner needs to be wiped down with a damp towel and the seats need to be buffed away after the conditioner has set in. I think you're dealing with excess product on the seats.

I didnt even know Lexol made wipes...

If they're anything like the actual Lexol product then the cleaner needs to be wiped down with a damp towel and the seats need to be buffed away after the conditioner has set in. I think you're dealing with excess product on the seats.

sounds like you didn't buff off the residue after it has dried.maybe you applied too much.

either way- i would rub off and buff out gently.

or- take a pic and let us see

I would agree it sounds like excess product.

Apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

JonM

I don't disagree totally with the others. However, I just cleaned and conditioned the leather in my wife's newly inherited 1999 RX 300 (handed to her now that I have a new RX 400h). First, the seats in my new RX 400h were not very slippery/slick at all -- certainly not as slick as those in the 1999 RX 300 before I cleaned them. Second, after cleaning and conditioning (including buffing off the residue), the seats in the 1999 RX 300 are not as slippery/slick as they were and are more like the new car's seats. As a comparison, how does the leather on the backs of the seats or on the door panels (or did you clean them, too?) feel? To me, they aren't very slick. So, I'm not sure that a totally slippery seat is indicative of a perfectly clean seat, using my new 400h's seats as the reference. If you want a better reference, go check out the seats in a new Lexus on the showroom floor. Then, you can tell if your seats are simply clean or ruined (BTW, I doubt you've done any irreversible harm, if any).

Having said that, I agree that cleaning the residue and buffing are good things to do, if you haven't already. My main point is that I woudn't expect the (even properly) cleaned seats to be as slippery as old "dirty" seats.

hey guys sorry I haven't replied yet. You were all right, it was excess stuff on the seats. Its been a couple days now, and with me getting in/out a couple times a day, my butt must've buffed it out pretty good because it's just about back to its original slickness. I just have to remember to buff it next time! I did just the driver's seat and door as a test...the door panel when side by side with the leather on the dash looks so much better, next warm day we have I'm doing the rest of the car :)

This is why I stopped using Lexol. I used to use them on my Porsche a few years ago.

But I didn't like how the seats became sticky after words.

This is an easy fix though. Buy some Sonus leather cleaner. It is a safe cleaner in a liquid gel formula. Just wipe on the seats with the special applicator and wipe off the excess.

Now apply the conditioner. It just wipes on, no buffing needed. Let it dry for 20 minutes and your good to go.

Its made in Italy and is safe for natural leather and coated leather.

Here are the links for the Sonus lather products

Sonus Leather Cleaner

Sonus Leather Conditioner

Sonus SFX Pro Applictors

Chris- There's not any leather on the dash or the doors of your ES. The cleaner will work but using the conditioner is pointless.

Lemme fix the link in my sig, thanks!

jon - thanks for the heads up. I will definitely try that stuff next time.

sw - the dash and doors aren't leather? what is that stuff then? it feels and looks like leather..is it just fancy vinyl?

Your Welcome.

Let us know how it worked out for you!!

Nope, its just vinyl. The only Lexus with a leather dash or door panels is the UL and CL model LS430.

Some cars have leather inserts in the doors, but the ES doesn't.

I don't disagree totally with the others. However, I just cleaned and conditioned the leather in my wife's newly inherited 1999 RX 300 (handed to her now that I have a new RX 400h). First, the seats in my new RX 400h were not very slippery/slick at all -- certainly not as slick as those in the 1999 RX 300 before I cleaned them. Second, after cleaning and conditioning (including buffing off the residue), the seats in the 1999 RX 300 are not as slippery/slick as they were and are more like the new car's seats. As a comparison, how does the leather on the backs of the seats or on the door panels (or did you clean them, too?) feel? To me, they aren't very slick. So, I'm not sure that a totally slippery seat is indicative of a perfectly clean seat, using my new 400h's seats as the reference. If you want a better reference, go check out the seats in a new Lexus on the showroom floor. Then, you can tell if your seats are simply clean or ruined (BTW, I doubt you've done any irreversible harm, if any).

Having said that, I agree that cleaning the residue and buffing are good things to do, if you haven't already. My main point is that I woudn't expect the (even properly) cleaned seats to be as slippery as old "dirty" seats.

jasonatl...On the 400h, are the (grey) dash, door panels and seat backs leather?? (Comment: I really don't like the grey dash with the ivory interior but my brother did and it's his car. I think I might have preferred lt. grey interior but it was N/A.)

Also, the seats in the 400h seem really hard to me. After driving the car for 3 1/2 hours with one brief stop, my butt was numb but I'm used to my American car seats. Are these typical Lexus seats??

jasonatl...On the 400h, are the (grey) dash, door panels and seat backs leather??  (Comment: I really don't like the grey dash with the ivory interior but my brother did and it's his car. I think I might have preferred lt. grey interior but it was N/A.)

Also, the seats in the 400h seem really hard to me.  After driving the car for 3 1/2 hours with one brief stop, my butt was numb but I'm used to my American car seats.  Are these typical Lexus seats??

No. The 400h does not have door panels or seat backs like my 1999 RX300 has. In the 1999 RX300, the doors have a "soft" pleated insert. Whether it is leather or not, I am not qualified to say -- it feels soft, but could be vinyl for all I know. The same goes for the soft map pockets on the back of the seats. I always thought they were leather, but can't rule out the possibility that they are vinyl. In contrast, there is no pleated soft panel insert in the RX 400h. I think the door panels are probably vinyl. The map pockets on the back of the seats are hardshell (plastic, I assume). The dash is defintely plastic or vinyl, not leather. By the way, on my ivory interior, the dash is black.

The seats don't feel any different to me than my 1999 RX300. Whether these are harder than other cars, I don't know. But, I've never experienced unusual fatigue from them.

The map pockets aren't leather, the door insert may be but I doubt it. The dash is definately not leather, on the RX400h or on a 99 RX300. Lexus uses a very good vinyl that ALMOST looks and feels like leather.

regarding the lexol problem with stickyness, dont most cleaners come with an 800 number from the manufacturer for handling consumer issues with their products? Is there a consumer help line number on the back of the Lexol products you used?

Be VERY careful with older models and the Lexol Cleaner. I have a 97 ES which has been pampered. The only issue is that the driver's seat is a tiny bit worn on the outside edge. After lurking here, I became convinced that what I was seeing was dirt in the creases of the leather. Upon careful application and gentle agitation, the cleaner removed more of what appears to be the top layer of dyed leather. Thus now I have bigger "creases" that look dirty, not clean creases that look the color of dyed leather.

You sure its the top layer of dyed leather? I doubt that especially because the leather is coated. You'd be really surprised how much dirt leather can absorb.

My guess is you just need to clean inside the crevices better.

I am 99% sure. When I look closely I see 2 sides with ivory color, and a line (wear) between that is brown/black. I was convinced by everyone that it was dirt (no issue with anyone here, I was optomistic too) but when I began to scrub lightly with the cleaner, the gap between the two sides got larger and the wear became more visible.

I sure wish I could go scrub some more, but as I type the 1% doubt that I made is worse is fading. I'm close to 100% sure now...