Cd Changer

Hey guys, I have a 92 SC 400 thats still going strong at 223000, BUT my CD changer is not working. My deck up front treats it like nothing is there so when I push the CD button, nothing happens.... Should I at least get a error message? In the back, the changer has power but does not want to load the CD Mag. It just sits there on top once I put it in and close the door. The little orange light just blinks.... Any help would be awesome... Thanks!

Hey guys, I have a 92 SC 400 thats still going strong at 223000, BUT my CD changer is not working. My deck up front treats it like nothing is there so when I push the CD button, nothing happens.... Should I at least get a error message? In the back, the changer has power but does not want to load the CD Mag. It just sits there on top once I put it in and close the door. The little orange light just blinks.... Any help would be awesome... Thanks!

Once the 12 disc changers brake they are junk. No parts are available anymore. Upgrade to the pioneer 6 disc from a 92-96 es300 they are plug and play. I have them if you want to change yours out.

I would have to agree. But make sure you don't have a CD stuck in your changer. I have a 93 and my changer would not give back one of my favorite CD's. It acted the same way yours did. I had to keep pushing the eject button until I could see the CD enough to grab it with a pair of tweezers and pulled out the CD. It works the same as always.....OK...not perfect but just OK. I won't be putting in homemade CD's anymore!

dcfish,

What do those changers run? Are these new old stock or used?

My '93 changer is cutting-out in the middle of songs. It had always skipped pretty bad when I hit bumps, but it just recently started doing this while sitting still. Can't make it through a song without several 5-to-10 second cut-outs. I'm going to go get a CD cleaner and see if this helps. If not I guess I'll need one of those other changers you spoke of. A 6cd changer sort of bites though.

Thx

Once the 12 disc changers brake they are junk. No parts are available anymore. Upgrade to the pioneer 6 disc from a 92-96 es300 they are plug and play. I have them if you want to change yours out.

dcfish - I would very much like to work with you but the system will not let me pm you or e-mail you.... please send me an e-mail at maxstondv@hotmail.com

Well, I purchased a Maxell lens cleaning CD today ($19). At first it seemed to make the problem worse. Instead of the silent cut-outs, I began getting erratic audible skipping. I thought, "This sucks... it's cooked now!" Then a couple of hours later, I was back in my car and decided to run the Cleaner CD excessively... like 10 times in a row. I can't get it to skip now. I'm trying not to get too excited, though. I'll check back with you all tomorrow. That will give it several hours of run time. The car was actually purchased in '92. After almost 13 years, if never cleaned, you could see how that lens could really get filthy. We'll see.

Fingers crossed,

Brian

P.S. DCFISH... Was that 6cd changer mounted in the glove box on the ES. I saw that one pic someone posted of their install of that 6-changer in their SC trunk. It looked awkward and in the way... instead of clean and tucked-away, like the 12disc is. Do you have any SC mounting pics that I can see? Thx

Well, I purchased a Maxell lens cleaning CD today ($19).  At first it seemed to make the problem worse.  Instead of the silent cut-outs, I began getting erratic audible skipping.  I thought, "This sucks... it's cooked now!"  Then a couple of hours later, I was back in my car and decided to run the Cleaner CD excessively... like 10 times in a row.  I can't get it to skip now.  I'm trying not to get too excited, though.  I'll check back with you all tomorrow.  That will give it several hours of run time.  The car was actually purchased in '92.  After almost 13 years, if never cleaned, you could see how that lens could really get filthy. We'll see. 

Fingers crossed,

Brian

P.S.  DCFISH... Was that 6cd changer mounted in the glove box on the ES.  I saw that one pic someone posted of their install of that 6-changer in their SC trunk.  It looked awkward and in the way... instead of clean and tucked-away, like the 12disc is.  Do you have any SC mounting pics that I can see? Thx

Originally a trunk mount, The 6 disc can be mounted either vertical or horizontal in the same place as the old 12 disc. The 6 disc is smaller and takes up less room. I don't have a pic of one installed in a sc but here is the changer.

post-1634-1120137200_thumb.jpg

My CD player ran almost flawlessly, all day (about 4hrs). I had one 2 second cut-out. The CD player is not nearly as sensitive to bumps anymore since using the cleaning cd. I sure hope people havent been scrapping their CD players when they were merely dirty. Though with my luck the player might have just decided to behave for a couple of days. Who knows. We'll see how the next few days go.