Oil ?

okay... i changed my oil today... and i didn't know whether to use mobile 1 full synthetic or just regular 10w30 oil... i ended up using the 10w30 cause i'm kinda tight on money right now... would the sinthetic oil of made a big difference? cause if it does... i can always drain and change it.... what do you think? :blushing:

supposedly there are two different types of Mobil1, the stuff you buy in the 5ltr bottles or the ones that come in gallens.

They both a labelled the same but supposedly the gallens have a more lower rating 5W-

I allways use best oil for my sc and suggest you to do the same!

tom

sc400

What is synthetic oil?

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids and a system of additives to help prevent wear, keep an engine clean, flow easily, maintain viscosity, prevent rust and reduce friction. The result is a lubricant that remains liquid and slippery under the widest possible range of temperatures and engine conditions.

What makes synthetic oil superior to conventional oil?

Historically, conventional oils lack the performance of synthetic oils in the areas of low-temperature performance and high-temperature oxidation stability. Conventional motor oil is made up of an inconsistent mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms. In the extreme heat of an engine, short-chain molecules can evaporate, and unstable molecules can oxidize and break down. Conventional oils also contain much greater amounts of impurities, such as sulfur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons, and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oil.

Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

What is the difference between a fully synthetic motor oil and a synthetic blend?

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils use non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use only a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

Are there advantages to using synthetic oil in a motorcycle?

ExxonMobil® offers three Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oils for motorcycles. Although Mobil 1 15W-50 has been used in 4-cycle motorcycle engines, ExxonMobil engineers recommend using Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils, since they have been specifically optimized for motorcycle applications. Be sure to follow your owner's manual for recommended oil and filter change frequencies.

How should I dispose of used synthetic motor oil?

You should follow the same environmentally sound procedures that you do with conventional motor oil. Here are the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) guidelines for disposal:

Do not dump used motor oil in the trash. Do not pour it on the ground or down the sewer or storm drain.

Place the used oil in a closed container.Take it to a service station or a collection location that recycles used motor oil.

Do not burn used motor oil in a space heater.To make it easier to recycle, do not mix motor oil with other substances such as gasoline or antifreeze.

Most Exxon and Mobil service stations will take used motor oil from do-it-yourselfers and will follow EPA-approved recycling. Please note that it is acceptable to mix used Mobil 1 with used conventional motor oil. In short, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ should be disposed of in the same manner as used conventional motor oil.

Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will be reduced by diluting it.

Can I go longer without changing my oil if I use a synthetic?

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, the safest and recommended practice is to follow your owner's manual. You can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover the unusual or unexpected driving conditions that we all experience from time to time.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

:D :cheers: I recomend using NEO motor oil they have a website . I know this guy who is still running his 94 ls 400 and has over 450,000 miles on it and NEO is the only oil he has ever used including a drain and fill when he first got the car home from the dealer , yes, it was a new car , please at least use a synthetic oil. There is also a great additive called TUFOIL this is what lexus puts in there cars from the factory , but they will never admit to this . It is MY beleif that all fluids in a lexus are synthetic and i run a waterless radiator filled with EVANS WATERLESS COOLANT they also have a website .

;)

Then there's redline, royal purple, etc., etc., etc.

Bottom line......

oil is oil. Get the right weight - find one you like and change it periodically.

Dino oil vs. synthetic - synthetic may just be better.

Is dino oil going to hurt the car? Nope.