Economy Speed Of Es 300

I serched the economy spped on google and some article said driving with 60 mph could get the best fuel economy. But for my ES 300, I think the economy speed is 70-80 mph.

Anyone has experence on this, please give me some advice. :rolleyes:

I found the best fuel economy betweel 65 & 70 MPH myself. I can get 500 kms (800 kms!) on a tank of Sunoco ultra 94. B)

:cheers:

I serched the economy spped on google and some article said driving with 60 mph could get the best fuel economy. But for my ES 300, I think the economy speed is 70-80 mph.

Anyone has experence on this, please give me some advice. :rolleyes:

For most modern cars, the highest mileage will be around 45-50 mph. The energy required just to push air out of the way increases as the square of velocity.

You can easily test it yourself.

For most modern cars, the highest mileage will be around 45-50 mph. The energy required just to push air out of the way increases as the square of velocity.

You can easily test it yourself.

I agree.

for some reason the magic number of 55 mph comes to mind. I remember this from some Shell produced driving education video that was part of Driver's ed in high school (circa 1980).

steviej

Back in the day of the US manditory 55mph that ruled.

IMHO that stopped applying long ago.

Taking the f150 to work, there is 15 miles of 70mph highway, then another 10 miles of 50mph driving.

Gas mileage increases on an all highway tank.

I took a long trip to Kentucky up I-65 in december of '03. Going up was spent with the cruise control well north of 100mph (minus nashville) in the very early hours of the morning. (leave work, after midnight take girlfriend to a concert in lexington)

Gas mileage was virtually the same as the return trip, which was done around 80-100mph (starting from the bowling green vette plant)

Stow the comments. This is for example purposes only.

There is a point where mileage flips between very little load on the engine with a slow speed, and a higher fuel useage with the running time is shorter (takes less time to get somewhere).

It's the same deal with wondering if X gear ratio is better than y gear ratio. Obviously, the less the engine is turning over, the less fuel it uses. Not as obvious is that there is a higher load on the engine, and you use more fuel per revolution as a higher gearing...

The v6 ES / Camry platform is the perfect example. Everyone get's in seeing the v6 around 3000mph at 70mph and assumes this is very high.

Yet they don't realize that becase of the lighter load on the engine, it uses the same amount of fuel in practice as any equivilant car / engine in it's class turning a lower rpm. (read VQ30 Maxima)

Hummm... 45-55 miles per hour on a CA freeway will get you either a ticket for going to slow or get you run over by a 18 wheeler.

All this gas savings talk is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Drive normal and eat the extra buck or two it costs at the pump.

Geo

If I had to drive 45 - 50 mph all the time, I'd feel like I was in the movie Driving Miss Daisy!  :lol:  :lol:    :ph34r:

:cheers:

I didn't say that you should drive that speed. I said that the fuel economy was highest there. The most economical speed is the slowest one you can tolerate. :-)

Back in the day of the US manditory 55mph that ruled.

IMHO that stopped applying long ago.

Taking the f150 to work, there is 15 miles of 70mph highway, then another 10 miles of 50mph driving.

Gas mileage increases on an all highway tank.

I took a long trip to Kentucky up I-65 in december of '03. Going up was spent with the cruise control well north of 100mph (minus nashville) in the very early hours of the morning. (leave work, after midnight take girlfriend to a concert in lexington)

Gas mileage was virtually the same as the return trip, which was done around 80-100mph (starting from the bowling green vette plant)

Stow the comments. This is for example purposes only.

There is a point where mileage flips between very little load on the engine with a slow speed, and a higher fuel useage with the running time is shorter (takes less time to get somewhere).

It's the same deal with wondering if X gear ratio is better than y gear ratio. Obviously, the less the engine is turning over, the less fuel it uses. Not as obvious is that there is a higher load on the engine, and you use more fuel per revolution as a higher gearing...

The v6 ES / Camry platform is the perfect example. Everyone get's in seeing the v6 around 3000mph at 70mph and assumes this is very high.

Yet they don't realize that becase of the lighter load on the engine, it uses the same amount of fuel in practice as any equivilant car / engine in it's class turning a lower rpm. (read VQ30 Maxima)

Congratulations. You've just rewritten the laws of physics.

Virtually everything you've written is wrong. The fuel economy at 100 mph is far, far worse than at 70 - or 55.

my sweespot is at 120km per hour ,at that point the engine load decreases (vacume gauge) and the engine note disappears

That doesn't mean your fuel economy is best there.

If you do a carefully controlled test, you'll find that your economy is better at 100 km/hr than at 120 - and still better if you drop to around 80-90 km/hr.

This is all about simple physics.